Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ravens 08 draft: Your thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Umm, Boller will be here too, it makes too much financial sense... BUt Boller should be gone after Next year... Troy can't be the only guy we are hanging the future of the franchise on, and realistically, I'm not nearly that hopeful... I'd give him a 15-20% chance of being a reliable starter, 5% o fbeing a star, and maybe 60% of being a backup.
    I thought Yanda, Pryce, Suggs, CMaC and Rolle all are good enough to wait. Boller sucks and Troy hasn't been good yet.
    QB is the ONLY way to go, IMO.
    Oh of course Boller will be there and a half decent fall back option, but if we want to improve this team we've gotta improve somewhere and can't go into next season with what we've got if we seriously expect to make an improvement next season and the sooner we get a QB in that we can build around, the better. I think you and I both agree with that if I didn't put it across as well in that first post.

2. Re: Ravens 08 draft: Your thoughts....

Well, well. I see that some of you guys wanna tread where 'Pro' hangs his hat huh? Ok then, I'll chime in so everyone can have someone to gang up on!

Ok, new coaches, new offense, same old players right?

It's not out of the scope of thought that a new coach with a four year deal will more than likely want his own guy at QB, even if he doesn't start his first season.

Boller is the 'vet' if you want to call him that, and he's more than likely gonna start simply because it makes no sense to tarnish McNair's legacy any further by asking him to do what appears at this point to be the impossible; make it through an entire season healthy.

Even if you draft a guy, the likelyhood of him beating out both Boller and Smith aren't very high. Even if he shows great promise it's just not smart to throw him into the fire so quickly, look at what it's done to the aformentioned Kyle Boller's career?

Ideally, you'd want to draft a guy this year and let him sit and learn all he can to be as ready as possible to take over Cam's offense the next year similarily to what happened in San Diego between Brees and Rivers.

With that being said, it's just a good idea for the Ravens to pick up a QB this year anyways, and if I had to make my best guess I'd say that the ideal candidate to run Cam's offense is 'Matty Ice' aka Matt Ryan from Boston College.

Matty Ice is a bad Mo-fo. He's a guy who I think would do well in a versatile offense where you'd want to utilize the backs and tight end in the passing game and spread the ball around to move the chains.

Anyone who saw him play his best saw that he's decisive, accurate and not easily rattled. He's got all of the intangibles to be an effective player given a little time to adapt to the NFL.

He'd be my first round pick if he fell to the 8th spot, you gotta pull the trigger.

Just my opinion.-Pro-

For our QB pick in this draft (I think we've got to take one unless there's someone in FA we really like) then I really like Chad Henne at #8 in round 2. He's my favourite QB in this draft, over any of the first round guys right now. I love his arm, I love his leadership and poise in the huddle, I love the fact he's a four year starter at a top program, I love that he has great experience of leaning on a running game and being a game manager. I think he's got everything and is flying under the radar due to an injury riddled senior season.

Mark me down as pro-Henne.

I do like Henne, I think he could be grabbed later, though this may change. He has looked godo at the senior bowl, and really was dogged early after Appalchian State, btu came back stronger late in the year... IF we miss on Both Brohm and Ryan, and trade back in either round, and acquire a mid=late 2nd in the process, I would be inclined to use that pick on that gry over an earlier pick on Woodson, Ainge or Flacco. Henne may be passing all three in my books'

Why not an O linemen?

We could draft Jesus and wouldnt matter one bit if we cant protect him long term. Linemen are not sexy picks, I freely admit it. But with JO and others on the downside of their careers, we need to protect whomever is making the throws. That's the modle other teams have set forth (Pats, Colts, Steelers, Skins back in the 80's, etc.) and it works.

When building a battleship, you lay the armour before you install the guns!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Why not an O linemen?

We could draft Jesus and wouldnt matter one bit if we cant protect him long term. Linemen are not sexy picks, I freely admit it. But with JO and others on the downside of their careers, we need to protect whomever is making the throws. That's the modle other teams have set forth (Pats, Colts, Steelers, Skins back in the 80's, etc.) and it works.

To continue on your analogy, we've been bringing the armour in for the last few drafts. We now need to bring in the right guy to rivet the armour together. That is a work in progress, we need to give these guys a chance to gel and get the right guy behind thme.

Also, another young guy doesn't help this offensive line in my opinion. They wouldn't displace anyone other than Ogden or Flynn, which would only make this line younger. I've mentioned it before but if Flynn and Ogden both go, Jason Brown is our most experienced o-lineman with about 25 starts to his name. We'd need a damned fine offensive line coach for that to be a suitable situation in terms of leadership on that line.

I think if we upgrade this line we bring in a vet, don't see young guys upgrading this line particularly, just sets back the line gelling for another season IMO.

7. Re: Ravens 08 draft: Your thoughts....

Stockers, completely agree on Leodis McKelvin and Henne. I dunno if #8 is too high for McKelvin or Cason though. I just did my initial top 32 and I have this draft as: 5 players at the top, then 20 or so below them almost equal. My top 5 are: Jake Long, McFadden, Dorsey, Ellis and Chris Long.

Id love us to trade down 10 spots or so and grab McKelvin or Cason. Then take Henne or Booty in round two.

8. Re: Ravens 08 draft: Your thoughts....

Can I also thank whoever it was that added the new scottish flag as a smily. Much appreciated!!!!

:haggis :haggis

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Why not an O linemen?

We may have our differences here on this board, but I come from the same school of thought regarding this.

If you look at the more productive offenses in this league, they all have generally one thing in common....
    Strong offensive lines...

We are extremely weak at offensive tackle right now, and quite frankly, have been that way for awhile.
    To me, Yanda simply is not an NFL right tackle.
    He can get by, but not ideal with his size.
    He got the crap beat out of him by the higher quality defensive ends this year, and I don't see that changing much.

Lord only knows what Ogden is going to do, but even if he comes back (which I doubt), he is not a long term solution, and the drop off if he gets hurt is dramatic.
    That basically leaves Terry who seems to do alright at LT, and Gaither with very little experience but could probably step in and play RT.

We have no depth after that.

We need a true pass rushing defnsive end!!

When Pryce went down, the entire defense changed dramatically.
    Your secondarys best friend is the pass rush.
    We got alot of tweener linebacker types, but not a great deal of depth at true defensive end.
    With a pass rush, I think our secondary could survive if only one of our two starting DBs were to get hurt.
    Running out guys that we ran out at the end of last year to start both sides was tragic, and we all saw it.

Not too often that both your starting DBs go down, so I'd roll the dice anticipating that you may only lose one.
    McCallister rarely is injured.

With that being said, I'd still look for another quality DB for depth at minimum, but wouldn't make it the top priority.

QB is a priority, but I think if you fix up the O-line abit more you help out our current crop of QBs to be a little more successful.

I think you can grab a QB in the later rounds and still be successful if you pick the right guy.

Look at some of the teams that were in the post season, or were damn close this year, and who they have at QB, and where they were picked.

Tom Brady-5th round pick(obviously this doesn't happen very often, but it does happen)
    Matt Hassleback-not sure where he was picked, but it wasn't real high IIRC.

Tony Romo-undrafted free agent.
    Derrik Anderson-6th or 7th round.

That's enough examples right now I think, but they all have high quality offensive lines helping them be successful.

Now some of this will probably be fixed through free agency, but I don't think anymore then 1 or 2 spots at most.

The only way we take a QB at #8 is if it's Matt Ryan, and I doubt he'll be there, but one never knows.

I would definitely be looking to trade down and try and bilk some teams later first rounder and second round pick.

You can more then most likely get a QB like maybe Woodson or Dixon in the high second round or possibly a little later, and fill three holes we really need to fill with three picks in rounds 1 & 2.

With the later first round pick you get in a trade you can fill either the DE or OT spot, and fill the other with the second of 2 second round picks.

If we're lucky, we get a compensatory round 3 pick for one of the big three free agents we lost last year.

Fill in other needs with the later rounds and hope you hit on at least one which we seem to do fairly often.

I don't know, this is not my field of expertise, but it seems to work wonders for teams like the pats, cowboys, etc., and has proven to work well for s in past drafts.

Holding the #8 pick puts us in a good spot to do this if the right opportunity presents itself, and I would definitely go that way if it does.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

The more I hear, the more I think we'll end up with a DE in the first round.

We need a big body in the middle too, Buddy Lee isn't getting any younger.

And yes, an OT and a CB are priorities too.

And I may be in the minority, but I'd like to see someone brought in to push Landry at safety. A Corey Harris type who can lay the wood.

And a QB...oh, my.

Ozzie, you better have your draft shoes on, you're gonna need 'em!

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Come on people, the investment has been made on the OL... we can only get better there by lettign them play. Drafting a first round tackle not named LOng won't help us now. Terry is more then "alright" at LT, in fact he is significantly better there currently then Ogden. Yanda is simply NOT "Not an NFLTackle" He got blown up by Jason Tayor, one of the best DE's in the history of football, and last years DPOY... Did you watch the season before that game?
    I love your list of late day QB's, care to share the list of the other 250 2nd day guys drafted during that time span? Round 6 QB's, which for some statistical anomoly come out very good. Abotu 1 in 5 will be successful, better then both the 4th and 5th rounds... and MUCH better then 7th and UDFA's... Romo didn't hit hte field for almost 4 years? We don't have that kind of time, we need to get better at the QB position, ASAP, and we need to hit on the guy. That to me is the new First day, or bust... IF we don't get one of the top handful of QB's i the draft we failed, MISERABLY.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Come on people, the investment has been made on the OL... we can only get better there by lettign them play. Drafting a first round tackle not named LOng won't help us now. Terry is more then "alright" at LT, in fact he is significantly better there currently then Ogden. Yanda is simply NOT "Not an NFLTackle" He got blown up by Jason Tayor, one of the best DE's in the history of football, and last years DPOY... Did you watch the season before that game?
    I love your list of late day QB's, care to share the list of the other 250 2nd day guys drafted during that time span? Round 6 QB's, which for some statistical anomoly come out very good. Abotu 1 in 5 will be successful, better then both the 4th and 5th rounds... and MUCH better then 7th and UDFA's... Romo didn't hit hte field for almost 4 years? We don't have that kind of time, we need to get better at the QB position, ASAP, and we need to hit on the guy. That to me is the new First day, or bust... IF we don't get one of the top handful of QB's i the draft we failed, MISERABLY.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion as we all are, that's what this place is for.

Regarding Yanda, his reach is what is in question here.
    Did he perform adequate in alot of games?
    Certainly but when you get to the next level (post season) he's basically playing nothing but the upper tier defensive ends.
    Quite frankly, you'll have to play several to even get to the post season.
    So by your logic, having somebody who is OK against a good deal of the league is OK, but having a key position on the O-line struggle protecting your QB against upper tier DEs is acceptable.

And now you want to put a first round pick behind that?

The QB position is by far probably the toughest to pick and hit.

I gave a few examples of guys picked in later rounds that have done well.
    Nowhere did I say they are sure things in the latter stages of the draft as most are not.

You seem to think that we have to take a projected top tier QB in the early first round or this draft will be a failure.

Maybe you should go back and review how successful those picks have been.
    You can start with one that's currently on our roster.

The fact remains that the majority of QBs picked in the draft don't pan out the way they are projected for a variety of reasons, but you want to blow the cap on a high first round QB pick simply because he's projected as being a first rounder that will do well.
    Hell, alot of drafts none of the top QBs picked pan out at all.

Regardless of where they take one if they do at all, he won't see the field in any meaningful playing time until the earliest being 2009.

Exactly how long is your time line to reach success with your comment "We don't have that kind of time"?

The game is won in the trenches, and those soldiers need to be able to take on all battles in order for just about any QB to have success.

Yup, let's take a day one cap busting QB, put him back there and watch him get his brains busted out because our RT can't handle the elite pass rushers but is Ok with everybody else.

Been there, done that already for too many years.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!