Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Boldin Replaced by Durmervil and Huff?

Boldin was replaced by upgrades to the defense. That's what Ozzie told Peter King. We often look at individual units and positions but to Ozzie it's all part of the big cap picture which is why he sticks to the right player at the right price model that he has talked about for years. It a very interesting article.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/12/andy-r...terback/print/

So, as many of you know, I have pointed out (harangued?) that I thought the Ravens should have paid Anquan Boldin his full 2013 salary, $6 million, instead of trying to trim it. Now it looks like an absolute gimme decision—if GM Ozzie Newsome had to do it all over again, with his intermediate and deep middle passing game wiped out without Boldin and Joe Flacco favorite Dennis Pitta, surely he’d have kept Boldin for $6 million.

Or no.

“The acquisitions of Elvis Dumervil and Michael Huff are a direct result of the money we saved from that contract,” Newsome told me, watching practice at the Ravens’ facility. “And other guys we got—Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Daryl Smith—were helped by the savings. So if you ask the question, you can’t just say, ‘Do you wish you kept him?’ You also have to look at the unintended consequences of your actions.”

Newsome’s point: Baltimore went into cap jail after winning the last Super Bowl 13 years ago, then paying dearly to keep the team of aging vets together. So he could have paid Boldin, and then mortgaged the future to sign Dumervil and Huff and others. Or he could have not paid Boldin, signed some solid players to repair his defense, and been in good cap condition in the coming years. That’s the route he chose. It could doom the Ravens this year if Flacco struggles and can’t make the kinds of plays he made in the postseason last year with Boldin; remember the sideline throw a scrambling Flacco made on the game-winning Super Bowl drive, with Boldin fighting and winning a battle with Carlos Rogers for the ball? It’s no lock he made the right call. But he made the call he’s comfortable with, and he knows the team, and its fans, will be happy he did in 2014. For now? Time will tell.

But look at this stat first:

Boldin’s 2013 cap number in San Francisco: $6.0 million.

Combined Baltimore cap numbers of defensive starters Dumervil, Huff, Canty and Smith (courtesy of overthecap.com): $6.47 million.

Or, looking at it the way the Ravens like to: Boldin for one year … or Dumervil for five, Huff for three, Canty for three and Smith for one.

“You have to have an owner who understands the long haul, and I’m fortunate that Steve Bisciotti does,” said Newsome. “When Dumervil came free, unexpected of course, we weren’t looking to spend that kind of money (five years, $27 million), but Steve’s point was, ‘We’re going to be winning, and we’ll never be able to get a pass rusher like that in the draft where we’ll be picking.’ That’s really beneficial for a GM like me, to have an owner who can see down the road and see the big picture.”

But Newsome knows there will be some 2013 pain for some long-term gain. “I took a safety net from Joe, and I’m well aware of that,” Newsome said. “I’ve been a safety net for Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar, so I understand what he’ll be missing.”

Blog Entries

Re: Boldin Replaced by Durmervil and Huff?

I saw this earlier today and my first thought was... what else is he gonna say? What's done is done

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I saw this earlier today and my first thought was... what else is he gonna say? What's done is done
    Are you saying this was a hindsight comment and not his plan?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Are you saying this was a hindsight comment and not his plan?
    I'm saying that he is speaking the truth - moved Boldin, got some cap room to sign players. But they could've made other moves to do the same. (they just didn't)

At this point it's done so yes, that was the move they made to acquire more talent.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Exactly. LOL

This is a response given to answer complaints about letting Boldin go.

The problem with the response is that no one (very few) who is complaining about the loss of Boldin thinks that the team would look exactly like it does now except with Boldin on the roster, had we not traded him.

They think we would have released McClain and Leach and not signed Spears or Smith, etc, in order to make a run at Dumervil and sign Canty. Heck Canty was signed while Boldin's salary was on our books. This is also ignoring the possibility of restructuring someone.

It is a defensive argument from Ozzie. It is only relevant to those that think we could have the exact same team as now plus Boldin, and I have seen almost no such people.

I think Oz's comments are a little bit of a mix of hindsight as well as pre-planning. They have their sights on the future of this team. Sometimes they get lucky (Doom) and sometimes they don't (Pitta), but the overall plan is there.

Boldin’s 2013 cap number in San Francisco: $6.0 million.

Combined Baltimore cap numbers of defensive starters Dumervil, Huff, Canty and Smith (courtesy of overthecap.com): $6.47 million.
    With Dennis Pitta still healthy - this looks like a great trade-off, so long as one of your young receivers steps up, or you luck out on the FA market...

With Pitta sidelined for the year - it looks like a bad risk.

Either way, they have a basic plan - it just comes with a lot of twists.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Good post. The Boldin debate is redundant and circular. The line is drawn in the sand with people on both sides. You wrote:
    Time will tell.
    Whenever you stand, you'll have to wait before proven right or wrong. The only opinion that ever mattered is Ozzie's, like it or not.

Canty was added as well

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Canty was added as well
    True, but he was added before the $6M came off the books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I think Oz's comments are a little bit of a mix of hindsight as well as pre-planning. They have their sights on the future of this team. Sometimes they get lucky (Doom) and sometimes they don't (Pitta), but the overall plan is there.

With Dennis Pitta still healthy - this looks like a great trade-off, so long as one of your young receivers steps up, or you luck out on the FA market...

With Pitta sidelined for the year - it looks like a bad risk.

Either way, they have a basic plan - it just comes with a lot of twists.
    to that point i dont think anybody plans for injury outside hoping to have the deepest team possible. You cannot expect to lose your #1 target when putting your team together outside the depth players stepping up.
    -JAB

Soooooo... We are just assuming that we are going to suck this year because Boldin and Pitta are out? I mean thats what I gather from fans and posters I communicate with.

I forgot that Boldin caught 80 passes for 1200 yards last season. Sure, he came uo big in the playoffs and I will always remember and keep him in my memory bank for that. But I also remember Derrick Mason playing with 1 arm or Todd Heap killing himself with diving catches while being flipped on his ass. We survived without them.

Some of the same folks that wanted Flacco gone are some of the same ones saying we need to get rid of Boldin for being too old and too slow.

We will see how the season plays out and then adjust accordingly.

I remember how Orioles fans were calling them idiots for letting Mark Reynolds go,even though he only played good for about a 2 week stretch against the Yankees and Sox. We let Chris Davis play his position and he exploded while Reynolds has been released by the Indians.

TLDR;
    Don't put the cart before the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by dscola31 View Post
    Soooooo... We are just assuming that we are going to suck this year because Boldin and Pitta are out? I mean thats what I gather from fans and posters I communicate
    Sure...if you turn specific statements like "I dont agree woth this move" into "we are going to suck" in your own mind.

Some people get so incredibly defensive and appalled that someone dares to disagree with a single move, that those people completely go off the deep end and turn it into a bunch of "you dont believe in this team or Ozzie" nonsense.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.