Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Slighlty OT: Why the Ravens might not have our undivided attention until October

Quote Originally Posted by Tottenham Raven View Post
    And don't get me wrong, the Ravens are still in the drivers seat for me. But as an Ravens/Orioles fan, I'm sure I speak for most when I say I've gotten used to putting the Orioles in the back seat by mid August at the latest. I just think they are going to be in the passenger side right next to the Ravens until mid-October or later.
    I'm just happy we are out of the 1998-2011 doldrums where, except for a brief half season miracle in 2005, I would put them in the back seat in May.

It would certainly be great if we could have some sustained 2 sport dominance like we enjoyed back in the late 60's and early 70's with the O's/Colts. I know there were some painful memories with SB III, the Miracle Mets and the Bucs, but man we were in it every year in both sports. I want that again!

Re: Slighlty OT: Why the Ravens might not have our undivided attention until October

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    An NFL pre-season game will attract more viewers than the 7th game of the world series
    according to a poll a few years ago.

HARRIS POLL: NFL more popular than MLB for 30th straight year by 35-14%.

In 2014, 35 percent of fans call the NFL their favorite sport, followed by Major League Baseball (14 percent), college football (11 percent), auto racing (7 percent), the NBA (6 percent), the NHL (5 percent) and college basketball (3 percent).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...opular-mlb-2nd

A game 7 World Series that has the Orioles playing? I find it extremely hard to believe that any NFL preseason game would attract more viewers than a 7th game of the WS regardless of who was playing.

Blog Entries

Believe it. The link I posted shows football with double the popularity than baseball for 30th straight year. There were tons of empty seats during the Os glory years and there were empty seats even when they were playing in the series, especially when the Colts were playing on Sunday.

Here, a lousy Mon night game with the Minn Vikings drew more viewers than the 1st game of the World Series or anything else on TV.

the Vikings-Giants game on ESPN on Monday night had a higher overnight rating than Game One of the World Series on FOX on Wednesday night. (Vikings-Giants had a 9.5 overnight rating, World Series Game One had a 9.4.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...series-game-1/
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 07-09-2014 at 07:08 PM.

A game 7 World Series that has the Orioles playing? I find it extremely hard to believe that any NFL preseason game would attract more viewers than a 7th game of the WS regardless of who was playing.
    Obviously that scenario...Orioles in the World Series...would result in close ratings here in Baltimore, but I'd still give the edge to the Ravens.

Nationally, it's no contest, the Pro Bowl...I'd rather watch preseason games...got higher ratings than the World Series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Ditto.

Baseball is a game.

Football is a war, a violent war.

Believe it. The link I posted shows football with double the popularity than baseball for 30th straight year. There were tons of empty seats during the Os glory years and there were empty seats even when they were playing in the series, especially when the Colts were playing on Sunday.

Here, a lousy Mon night game with the Minn Vikings drew more viewers than the 1st game of the World Series or anything else on TV.

the Vikings-Giants game on ESPN on Monday night had a higher overnight rating than Game One of the World Series on FOX on Wednesday night. (Vikings-Giants had a 9.5 overnight rating, World Series Game One had a 9.4.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...series-game-1/
    I wasnt questioning whether or not Football was bigger than Baseball, I knew that and have known that for a long long time. Baseball is Americas pastime, Football is its future and presence. What I was saying was hard to believe was that a World Series game 7 would not attract as many viewers as an NFL Preseason game. I don't see that anywhere in the link you posted. Did I miss a link within that link? And the other specific game you mentioned (Vikings-Giants) was a primetime game midseason, not a preseason game. I have no doubt that prime time NFL games, regardless of how poor the teams playing are, would do better than a World Series game. But a Preseason NFL game vs. a World Series game 7? I have to see that to believe, which was what I was questioning in the first place.

I wasnt questioning whether or not Football was bigger than Baseball, I knew that and have known that for a long long time. Baseball is Americas pastime, Football is its future and presence. What I was saying was hard to believe was that a World Series game 7 would not attract as many viewers as an NFL Preseason game. I don't see that anywhere in the link you posted. Did I miss a link within that link? And the other specific game you mentioned (Vikings-Giants) was a primetime game midseason, not a preseason game. I have no doubt that prime time NFL games, regardless of how poor the teams playing are, would do better than a World Series game. But a Preseason NFL game vs. a World Series game 7? I have to see that to believe, which was what I was questioning in the first place.
    Yea, that's not really accurate at all.

The last WS game 7 was Rangers/Cardinals in 2011, and it drew a 14.7/25 rating, with 25.4Mil viewers (Fox).
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...e-2004/108958/

By contrast, the Colts/Giants pre-season game on that same network (Aug 18, 2013) drew a 4.1/7 rating, with 6.5Mil viewers.
    http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/tv_ratin..._rises-2013-08

The NFL is no doubt the most popular sport in the US by a wide margin, but there's no way an NFL preseason game would out-draw a game 7, either locally (in the markets playing in the games) or nationally. Not even close.

(ETA: yes, I realize that in some select markets like say, New Orleans, fans might tune in in larger numbers to watch a Saints pre-season game rather than a WS match-up between 2 baseball teams they don't care about, but that's not really the issue.)
    Last edited by MarkS; 07-10-2014 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    It always amazes me when this topic comes up how many people consider it an either/or proposition. Like Baltimore has to be a "baseball town" or a "football town." I've never had a conflict, never had a hard time supporting both. One of the best days I remember was watching a Ravens/Steelers game at Memorial Stadium, then jetting downtown for Mike Mussina v Randy Johnson at Camden Yards in the deciding game of the ALDS.

(Of course the Ravens game itself was kind of painful. It was the one where we were kicking Steeler ass at halftime, giving all kinds of shit to Steeler fans in the concourse, only to watch Kordell Stewart bring them back from 24-10 with a long TD run, and the inevitable Vinny implosion.)
    Word!!! Every word. I did the same thing that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksouleyez View Post
    Question for everyone -

(hypothetical of course) you are a Season Ticket holder for the Orioles, Ravens have an away game at the same time O's have a home game on a Sunday afternoon game. Do you stay home and Watch the Ravens or Go to the game?

(Hypothetical again) You are a season ticket holder for the Ravens, O's are away playing the same time (lets say sunday night or thursday night) for a spot to clinch the playoffs or sometime in the playoffs. Do you stay home to watch the O's or go to the Game?

Which one did you think the hardest on before you made the decision?
    First one was easy. I watch the Ravens on tv. Baseball is a sport that is played every day. The NFL is an event that happens once a week. In my case I have a man cave with 3 TV's. I know, sick, right? So I have both on.

Second is a little harder, but not much, I'm going to the Ravens, while trying to find a way to monitor the O's while I'm there. At minimum, I'm recording it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Yea, that's not really accurate at all.

The last WS game 7 was Rangers/Cardinals in 2011, and it drew a 14.7/25 rating, with 25.4Mil viewers (Fox).
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...e-2004/108958/

By contrast, the Colts/Giants pre-season game on that same network (Aug 18, 2013) drew a 4.1/7 rating, with 6.5Mil viewers.
    http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/tv_ratin..._rises-2013-08

The NFL is no doubt the most popular sport in the US by a wide margin, but there's no way an NFL preseason game would out-draw a game 7, either locally (in the markets playing in the games) or nationally. Not even close.

(ETA: yes, I realize that in some select markets like say, New Orleans, fans might tune in in larger numbers to watch a Saints pre-season game rather than a WS match-up between 2 baseball teams they don't care about, but that's not really the issue.)

And some other select markets in the south where college football is king and NASCAR is more
    popular than the 7th game of the world series.

I'm talking about a poll years ago where fans said they'd rather watch an NFL pre-season game than the 7th game of the world series. You took ratings from two different years.

The ratings I posted showed a lousy MNF game with Minn Vikings outdrew the 1st game of the World Series the same week and everything else that was on TV.

Hell, the NFL draft did better than the NBA playoffs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...atings-battle/
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 07-10-2014 at 06:11 AM.

I'm talking about a poll years ago where fans said they'd rather watch an NFL pre-season game than the 7th game of the world series.
    A link would be nice. Otherwise, it's just bluster and your memory, which may or may not be entirely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    A link would be nice. Otherwise, it's just bluster and your memory, which may or may not be entirely accurate.
    Okay, I found the link.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ut-at-ballpark

And it wasn't an NFL pre-season game vs. Game 7 of the World Series - it was an NFL regular-season game vs. an MLB playoff game. It also wasn't more people - it was 41% who would rather watch a regular-season NFL game than an MLB playoff game.

There is no doubt the NFL is much more popular than MLB, but your charaterization of the survey is way off. Here is another link to another survey from the same polling group who asked baseball fans if they could only watch one sporting event on a particular night (also 2009), what would they watch? - and 70% said World Series baseball over regular-season NFL. (it is Question #5).

http://surveys.ap.org/data%5CKnowled...ine_102609.pdf