Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Re: Good stuff from Greg Cosell on Cam after his dismissal

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    I am now optimistic and I actually feel better knowing that changes are occurring.
    It has dogged us for so long.
    I also believe that has been a large part of the fan frustration here.
    The offense has always seemed to be better than their performance due to being held back in our eyes.
    And knowing nothing was ever going to change for the better, the fans frustration boiled over many times.
    Many times way over the top. I know I was one of them.

Hearing analysts describe our offensive deficiencies has given us some sort of vindication.
    Now with the change, I feel really good going forward.
    Regardless of the outcome of this game Sunday, I am guessing we want to see the actual signs that change is here.

For me personally, I want to see Caldwell TRYING to put our guys in the best position to succeed.
    That is what I need to see. Formations and mixed routes to help our receivers gain natural separation.
    Use the no huddle to get Joe into a rhythm and help our Oline tire the defensive front which will slow the rush.

And I know it is using the rest of the playbook which means there will be miscues and miscommunication from time to time due simply from not using those plays.
    But I remember game 1 against the Bengals.
    And right now, we need to bring THAT playcalling and numerous formations and routes back.
    That is what I want to start seeing.
    We see all of that coming into play and Joe will get more confident with every successful drive.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    This is not a defense of Cam, but I found it curious to hear Derrick Mason's comments on 105.7 FM this morning. When asked if the offense was too vanilla, with the definition suggested by Steve Davis being the same predictable routes over and over again, Mason sort of defended Cam by suggesting that Torrey is limited in the type of routes he can run effectively, and Cam limits the play calling to work within those constraints.

Maybe Mason is biased/egotistical in thinking few others have his talent to run all the routes in the route tree. Maybe Mason's view is based on a raw Torrey Smith when he was fresh out of college. Maybe he knows something we don't want to admit. (He also mentioned that in his opinion Brian Billick refused to consider the limitations of his receivers and was trying to install the kind of vertical passing attack he favored, without consideration of the fact he had receivers who were not capable of executing it).

We kind of heard the same suggestion in the past that Joe Flacco was not being allowed to throw between the hashes because Cam didn't think he could be trusted. Eventually that changed, but I do wonder if one of Cam's problems was not trusting his playmakers to make plays. Maybe Cam thought he already knew the negative outcome of going in a certain direction, and was too stubborn to try it. We have been led to believe he wasn't good at receiving input.
    Re-reading Cossell's quotes really don't do justice to what I think he was trying to communicate in the interview. You have to go back and listen (if you've not already).

I get the strong sense from many fans that they feel Flacco is an "elite" QB with talented receivers just waiting to be unleashed by a new OC. Listening to Cossell, I get the sense that he feels that both Flacco and the receivers are "good", and can be better, but I never got the sense that he thought that Cameron was squandering an "elite" unit.

I'd rather he try and fail than never try at all.
    I agree. Just wish they would have tried before last season, or the season before.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Listening to Cossell, I get the sense that he feels that both Flacco and the receivers are "good", and can be better, but I never got the sense that he thought that Cameron was squandering an "elite" unit.
    The comments I attributed to Mason somewhat support this. His claim was that the receivers aren't good enough to run anything different, and Cam simply limited them to the one or two things they could do (Torrey, nine-route and out pattern; Anquan slant route). Mason seemed to think there wasn't much room to get better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    The comments I attributed to Mason somewhat support this. His claim was that the receivers aren't good enough to run anything different, and Cam simply limited them to the one or two things they could do (Torrey, nine-route and out pattern; Anquan slant route). Mason seemed to think there wasn't much room to get better.
    Umm I've seen Torrey take a cross pattern 50 yards+ after he caught the ball. Also, I've seen Torrey take a quick comeback to the house after faking out a DB (Browns game). I don't buy into that thinking.

Where did this myth that crossing patterns are short begin?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Where did this myth that crossing patterns are short begin?
    Depends on if it's a drag or a dig route.

Drag route = short

Dig = intermediate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that Joe's blitz recognition in the no huddle is light year's better then it is outside of it? What would you attribute that too, i think he has been damn good setting the right protection in the no huddle but if you look at the Washington game last week there were at least 2 occasions on those corner/safety blitzes where i didnt even see him look to the side where the blitz is coming from. It makes you wonder if that is a control thing, when he's in control he seems to be more cerebral and mindful of the small details and when he wasnt he isnt so much.
    Possibly but also keep in mind that one of the advantages to the no huddle is that it keeps the defense in it's base formation. Most exotic blitz calls come directly from the DC, I would think. When you switch to a hurry up, you are able to neutralize a guy like Rex Ryan and take those things away.

In a nut shell, I think defenses become easier to read in the no huddle, which would explain his success.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post

In a nut shell, I think defenses become easier to read in the no huddle, which would explain his success.
    This. That is why is much better at it. It limits what options the D coordinator has at his disposal by limiting the different personnel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    This. That is why is much better at it. It limits what options the D coordinator has at his disposal by limiting the different personnel.
    Defenses basically have to play a basic shell coverage. There isn't really any time to setup any exotic formations.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Possibly but also keep in mind that one of the advantages to the no huddle is that it keeps the defense in it's base formation. Most exotic blitz calls come directly from the DC, I would think. When you switch to a hurry up, you are able to neutralize a guy like Rex Ryan and take those things away.

Most definetely, but the reason i brought it up because i've seen Joe in the no huddle looking at exotic looks and taking his time to determine where the blitz is coming from, and i've seen him have success but out of the no huddle just totally botch the protection. Regardless of how the blitz looks it seems he's watching film on the teams to know what type of pressures the defenses like to use but outside of the no huddle so different. Has to be that the calls are coming in too late to change anything. But i think keeping the base defense on the field has a lot to do with the increased efficiency in that regard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Most definetely, but the reason i brought it up because i've seen Joe in the no huddle looking at exotic looks and taking his time to determine where the blitz is coming from, and i've seen him have success but out of the no huddle just totally botch the protection. Regardless of how the blitz looks it seems he's watching film on the teams to know what type of pressures the defenses like to use but outside of the no huddle so different. Has to be that the calls are coming in too late to change anything. But i think keeping the base defense on the field has a lot to do with the increased efficiency in that regard.
    People keep saying over and over that Joe is no Peyton or Brady, or hell even Eli. But I think he could be a Jim Kelley in my book, which would be awesome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    People keep saying over and over that Joe is no Peyton or Brady, or hell even Eli. But I think he could be a Jim Kelley in my book, which would be awesome.
    Jim Kelley is a hall of fame player. I'd aim a lot lower than that. Joe reminds me of Boomer Esiason who did win the MVP.