Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Emmanuel Cook runs with the #1's in place of Ed Reed

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/...r_Ed_Reed.aspx

Cook, 24, said he’s working to improve in his deep coverage. He’s been watching tapes of Reed, who is one of the best in the business at tracking down long passes.

“I’m a hard-hitting safety,” said Cook, who wears the same jersey number as former Ravens big hitter Dawan Landry. “I’m trying to turn my game around so I can have better ball skills. It’s a lot of hard work.”

Can't hurt to get the guy experience. He's only 24.

Maybe another diamond in the rough?

He's a decent ST'er at this point, so that's always a plus.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Emmanuel Cook runs with the #1's in place of Ed Reed

I really don't know what to think.
    Yes, good to give him reps/experience.
    Pollard is making the calls so no demands on him there.

Don't really know why the Jets cut him last Nov and we claimed him (releasing Bynes to make room), rumblings of a bonehead play on ST but he did recover, could have been a Darren Stone reaction thing. Or maybe just needed a different position player.
    Still have Christian Thompson to also see what he can do,
    Can't hurt though to get him reps and see what kind of pass coverage he is capable of providing... we'll know soon enough in preseason games, so this is prepping him for it.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Jets released him when they signed Patrick Turner (WR/TE) I believe.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

With the depth that the Ravens have at CB, he'll just need to play his assignment, rather than try to emulate Ed Reed.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    With the depth that the Ravens have at CB, he'll just need to play his assignment, rather than try to emulate Ed Reed.
    Deep[er] secondary period. Sean Considine and the ST gunner from Chicago also have NFL experience behind Reed & Pollard. Got the 2 draftees plus Brown and Gorrer to look at behind Webb, Smith, & Williams. Not going to miss Zibby, Nakamura, or Carr when it comes to depth.

Blog Entries

Our secondary is def not one of the question marks going into the season thats for sure.

I still say Webb is Reed's replacement when he hangs them up. Everyone else is vying for that SS spot.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Our secondary is def not one of the question marks going into the season thats for sure.

I still say Webb is Reed's replacement when he hangs them up. Everyone else is vying for that SS spot.
    IMO, no way they move Webb off corner. He's developing into an all-pro caliber CB. I could see them moving Cary Williams to safety eventually, with Webb and Smith at CB. Williams is solid, but he has to play off of WR's because he's just a touch slow. He's got the size to move to safety where that speed difference would be covered.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I thought that would be a potential pro-bowl caliber switch last camp, really like Webb's skill set as a FS. Had no idea Webb would emerge as an exceptional CB and up in pro-bowl conversations.

But now I've swung to esmd's thinking, no way Webb comes off CB, at least no way while he can still be thought of as Reed's replacement. Webb may eventually be a pro-bowl FS, but it will be a path like Rod Woodson, a later carreer shift. The contract we have just given him just screams that. Still remains to be seen, but we have possibly the best Raven CB ever.... at least no one will think people crazy for even suggestion that thought.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    IMO, no way they move Webb off corner. He's developing into an all-pro caliber CB. I could see them moving Cary Williams to safety eventually, with Webb and Smith at CB. Williams is solid, but he has to play off of WR's because he's just a touch slow. He's got the size to move to safety where that speed difference would be covered.
    No way they move either Carey Williams OR Webb to Safety.
    Not hapening.
    They will draft or find someone to play back there.

Blog Entries

Why do people keep suggesting to move Webb to corner? That is like moving Revis to play safety. The only time you move a really good CB to play safety is if they get too old/slow. It's much easier to find a safety than a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Why do people keep suggesting to move Webb to corner? That is like moving Revis to play safety. The only time you move a really good CB to play safety is if they get too old/slow. It's much easier to find a safety than a corner.
    I'm not advocating Webb playing at FS in 2012, but I have said in the past that his skill-set is exactly what you would want in a center-fielder FS. In terms of coverage instincts, lateral speed, range, ability to play the ball in the air, and man-to-man and zone coverages in the deep middle, Webb is IMO the closest player this team has had to Ed Reed in his prime outside of #20 himself.

I think an All-Pro CB is generally speaking worth more than an All-Pro S, so if Webb's future is truly that of an All-Pro CB, then he should stay there. But this team has to prepare for the day when the greatest FS to ever play the game decides to hang up his cleats. There's a chance that Webb could be that guy, maybe not a great one, but as I said he's got the best skill-set on the team for it at this point and what other options are out there?

People underestimate the extent to which this team has relied on Ed Reed to stabilize the back end and give teeth to their pass defense. I would argue that our system even moreso than a lot of other elite defenses is dependent on having a dominant center-field FS. Maybe generally speaking an All-Pro CB is worth more than an All-Pro S, but maybe not in our system--we already have 2 other high-upside CBs while we have only journeymen (at best) behind #20. You have to make a decision about the team as a whole, not simply one position grouping.

I still don't think it ever happens but just on pure speculation it's not an unworthy thought.

Webb did play S in college, didn't he? I could see him moving to S in a couple years but not immediately. As far as CB more important than S and S being a place where CBs go when they get old . . . Ed Reed's level of play puts him beyond any such discussion.