Page 174 of 333 FirstFirst ... 172173174175176 ... LastLast
Results 2,077 to 2,088 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Yeah Amerson can't play corner in the NFL, I really doubt he can. He would make a very very good center fielder though, he has ball skills, very tall and rangy too.
    I totally agree...I like Amerson and would love to have him in the second, but only as a safety.

He is a terrific ball hawk and has very, very good ball skills.

But in virtually ever game I saw this year, he was constantly...constantly getting beat like a drum when he had to play man on quicker WR's. I have very little confidence that he can be a good corner in the NFL...but I think he'd be a very good safety.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Drafting DeAngelo Hopkins would be like drafting Barret Jones IMO, both good players, may even be the BPA at 32, but we are stacked at wide out. Better value in later rounds IMO, especially if there is a speedy LB waiting there at 32 which is a much bigger need, or a pass rushing 5 tech DE, or a safety etc etc....

I'm all for BPA, but BPA in Ozzies mind doesn't always mean the absolute BPA, despite what people like to think. Needs do play a big role in the draft too.
    Yup. Needs + what we think other teams will do play a big part. The latter is largely why we move around so much.
    If we break with Boldin, (which I think is unlikely) then I think we manuever to take a WR early. Otherwise, I don't think we'll grab one before #63.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I keep saying it and I won't stop saying it until people get it into their heads. This team's biggest need BY FAR is free safety. Now, if they re-sign Ed Reed that will certainly change. But unless and until they do that the huge glaring need on this team is at the free safety position.

That is the ONE position they literally have no one with any NFL experience as an option on the roster. They could easily shuffle the OL again and put Oher at LT, which would absolutely not be optimal, but the team could do it. IMO the really crucial area on the OL was solidifying the interior, which they've done by moving KO to LG. With more quick-hitting routes and space for Flacco to step up into the offense could get by without elite-level protection from the tackles in all likelihood.

ILB? They have McClain coming back and Bynes, McClellan, and Ayanbadejo all have experience and some degree of talent. They have depth at the position no matter what happens with Ellerbe or the draft. This is getting overrated as an immediate need IMO.

DE/OLB? Suggs will be healthier next year, Upshaw will continue to grow, and they have depth/project guys they like in Hamilton and McAdoo.

DL? Cody was the team's biggest disappointment this year, but he played a little better in the playoffs and is still a fairly young player. They have Art Jones, McPhee, and Tyson as young players who they like a lot, and Ngata should also be healthier next year.

WR? They need to grow and get younger long-term but even if one of Boldin or Jacoby is cut loose they're probably okay at the position for another year. Same for TE.

I just don't think it's even questionable at this point that FS is the most concerning area on this team. At least they have options under contract at every other position. They have NOTHING at FS unless they sign Ed Reed which might not happen, and to make it even worse our defensive scheme puts a ton of pressure on the deep safety to cover up weaknesses elsewhere. There's no way Christian Thompson is ready to step up and be even half of what Ed Reed was at his worst.
    100% agree with this. Hopefully we get Reed back on a reasonable deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

ILB? They have McClain coming back and Bynes, McClellan, and Ayanbadejo all have experience and some degree of talent. They have depth at the position no matter what happens with Ellerbe or the draft. This is getting overrated as an immediate need IMO.
    A few things...

1. We don't know if McClain is coming back. There have been a few rumors saying that he may not be able to come back.

2. I definitely agree with you that FS is a major hole. Be it Ed Reed, Kenny Phillips, or using a high draft pick on someone...this position needs filled. We dont know what Christian Thompson can bring to the table, but not having any experience at all and being a somewhat raw player to begin with shouldn't give anyone warm and fuzzies.

3. I don't know how you can say that ILB need is overrated. I completely disagree. Even if Ellerbe comes back, the Ravens don't have anyone who can cover the middle of the field. I'm not saying that they'll find that in another ILB in the draft, but getting speed at ILB should be a major goal IMO. They don't necessarily have to spend a high draft pick on that either, but they really need to get speed at ILB. There just isn't anyone on the team who can drop into coverage well at all. Furthermore, Ellerbe seems to have a game or two each season where he gets hurt and misses some time, so depth is a potential issue as well. Especially if McClain can't come back.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I'm all for BPA, but BPA in Ozzies mind doesn't always mean the absolute BPA, despite what people like to think. Needs do play a big role in the draft too.
    if there isnt a LB on the same tier as those guys, hell take the higher tier position thats not a need. It may not always be BPA in the fans eyes but its always BPA with need being the deciding factor between similar talents. He will not reach for a need, he may trade down for one but even then i believe hes only done such when theres multiple players still available in the tier theyd be drafting in anyway. meaning they have a OL WR and LB rated the same, youll likely get that LB, but if they have it OL WR and a LB on a lower tier, its really only a choice between the first two or trading back in ozzies mind. "stick to the board".
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Does anyone think that Lane Johnson is really that much better a prospect than KO? If Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews were in this draft I'm not sure Johnson ends up as a 1st round pick. If he's at the bottom of the round I'd be very interested but trading up sounds very expensive for level of prospect you're getting.

Blog Entries

There are going to be a lot of opportunities for the Ravens to trade down a few picks for someone who wants to move up and take a QB or RB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Does anyone think that Lane Johnson is really that much better a prospect than KO? If Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews were in this draft I'm not sure Johnson ends up as a 1st round pick. If he's at the bottom of the round I'd be very interested but trading up sounds very expensive for level of prospect you're getting.
    I said that a few posts ago. At best, Johnson would be the 5th best tackle prospect if Lewan and Matthews were coming out.

That said, I think Johnson has some nice skills that could make him a decent candidate at LT. He's more of a finesse, pass blocker, but he's not a terrible run blocker either.

It is possible that even with Lewan and Matthews coming out he could have leapfrogged one of them, but I doubt it.

IMO, this is a simple case of supple and demand.

Unbelievably DET is yet again in need of a WR and may want to move up if there's a run on WRs (which I don't anticipate).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I said that a few posts ago. At best, Johnson would be the 5th best tackle prospect if Lewan and Matthews were coming out.

That said, I think Johnson has some nice skills that could make him a decent candidate at LT. He's more of a finesse, pass blocker, but he's not a terrible run blocker either.

It is possible that even with Lewan and Matthews coming out he could have leapfrogged one of them, but I doubt it.

IMO, this is a simple case of supple and demand.
    That's exactly why you don't trade up for him despite the need. I'd rather try and pay McKinnie then spend multiple picks to get up to where it would take to draft Johnson.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Unbelievably DET is yet again in need of a WR and may want to move up if there's a run on WRs (which I don't anticipate).
    I think we'll see 1 or 2 receivers go in round 1.

We'll probably see a run on them in round 2 though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's exactly why you don't trade up for him despite the need. I'd rather try and pay McKinnie then spend multiple picks to get up to where it would take to draft Johnson.
    :word

Or, see what Sebastian Vollmer would come here for.