Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bryan Hall switching to inside LB

per ravens.com coach has asked Hall to move to LBer this off season. He is currently dropping weight to make the switch. Says coach told him he was to good a player to sit on the bench. Interesting switch of positions for the formally undersized dt. Another UDFA inside lber for us.

Blog Entries

Re: Bryan Hall switching to inside LB

Quote Originally Posted by HHIRaven View Post
    per ravens.com coach has asked Hall to move to LBer this off season. He is currently dropping weight to make the switch. Says coach told him he was to good a player to sit on the bench. Interesting switch of positions for the formally undersized dt. Another UDFA inside lber for us.
    I heard Ryan Mink suggest this in a video on BR a few days ago. Maybe my memory is just fuzzy but i dont think Hall is a better athlete than Upshaw and I dont think Upshaws primed for that position switch either. Pees has me questioning this mindset of everybody play everywhere with a simple saying "jack of all trades, master of none". I like the idea of the best players playing, but i dont like the idea of our best players playing out of position simply because we didnt fill a hole. Having a guy have a defined role allows him to play to strengths and minimize weaknesses.

Its not always a bad thing to have your best pass rusher beside you when its an obvious run play and your best run stuffer is in the game instead. or vice versa. Ill wait to see the end product but this all seems like putting square pegs in round holes just because we have nothing better to fill them with currently.

Article says he lost 25lbs so hes 6'-0" 270 +/- right now. id assume 250 is the goal for ILB.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 04-05-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

They probably told him it's his best chance to make the team.

Blog Entries

It's not totally unheard of, but that's definitely not a common progression...

I remember JJ was moved inside on some snaps, but he was an undersized DE...DT is usually the biggest guy on the squad, while ILBs need to be lighter than OLBs and DEs usually. And even if he drops the weight, you have to show you can play at that weight. Remember a couple seasons ago, Haloti dropped a bunch of weight and seemed to be in great shape, but he was a lot less effective and got injured a bit. The theory was his body wasn't used to playing at the lighter weight...

I had thought Bryan Hall had a lot of favor with the coaching staff, but you are right, this may be the best shot of him to stick. That said, I'd put his chances at long shot right now.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Bryan Hall at ILB

Very very interesting, could make a great 2 down rotational guy and would be a great run stopper

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...9-ceaffc54380b
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

He hasn't had to drop too much weight so I think he could play at 250-260. Don't really know how successful he'll be but its better than him rotting on the bench.

Not an unheard of move, but time will tell if it works out. According to the article, he was a high school LB turned DT in college. He noted that at the time of that move he wasn't sure why he was asked to be a DT. One thing I see is a benefit is now you have a ILB with a DT mindset that can take on blockers and know about shedding blocks. Now he can use those instincts to move the first couple of seconds in a play with out engaging a block. Could work out well, however now he has to worry about coverage and recognizing plays standing up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    now he has to worry about coverage.
    This is all he really has to worry about. 2 down LBs are going to the way side. Stopping the run is still essential, but being able to keep up with TEs and RBs and even the occasional WR is more important these days, especailly at ILB. You cant trot out guys built to only handle the run without leaving your team susceptible to audibles and taking advantage of that very weakness. Situational at best and its still going to be exploited, imo.
    -JAB

This is an interesting and promising move. The Ravens listed him at 290 but he was probably less than that, so I don't think he'll have a problem making the switch in terms of weight. He doesn't have a typical DT build at all--well defined upper body, very little fat, and his Pro Day numbers are not that far off from Manti Te'o and Kevin Minter despite outweighing both of them by 50lbs.

He's a very good athlete and showed nice north-south burst during the preseason. We know the coaching staff likes him a lot and they're clearly trying to find a way to fit him in. I wouldn't count on him for much but let's see how he develops at the position for a year or so.

Re: Bryan Hall at ILB

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    Very very interesting, could make a great 2 down rotational guy and would be a great run stopper

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...9-ceaffc54380b
    It is interesting that the coaching staff is asking him to make the switch. What this tells me, is that they must like something about him and believe he can contribute in some fashion. If this move is successful, I personally will withhold my optimism to see how he plays on the field. My guess is that he would be a depth guy anyways.

Blog Entries

Interesting experiment, they must think he is a good athelete. Thats alot of weight to lose from 290lbs at on 6ft tall. Probably the only way he can make the team and contribute.

Hall was in danger of getting caught up in the numbers game.

Right now, there are 7/8 guys ahead of him on the D-line depth chart, depending on how you evaluate Dumervil

Ngata
    Cody
    A. Jones
    Tyson
    McPhee
    Spears
    Canty
    Dumervil

I think the idea that he's a longshot to make the team is a stretch though. The Ravens, as an organization, love players like Hall. Undrafted, cheap, under team control for 3 more seasons, and versatile. I would think his chances at making the team at either position are quite good.