Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Dear Mr Caldwell, why did you run on 10/12 first downs in the first half

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Because it's been so ineffective?

Hmm.. Wait shit.

Besides, the Denver game proved he has the know how and flexibility to switch it up should the opposition score in bunches.

In a tight game, he throws body blows before going for the KO. It's old school football. Its exactly how San Fran plays too, although they're running a different system with a similar philosophy. And surprise surprise, those two teams beat the shit out of, and ultimately outscored, their opponents in the most critical game of their seasons to date.

How anyone can argue with the results is beyond me.
    I guess it depends on what results you're talking about. 13/16 running plays on first down, with a net result of a game total of 48 yards and 2.5 yards/carry for Ray Rice in a championship game is not my definition of good results. Furthermore, 2 quarters of good offensive production vs 4 quarters of good offensive production is around 50% in my book. But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Furthermore, 2 quarters of good offensive production vs 4 quarters of good offensive production is around 50% in my book. But to each his own.
    Which brings us back to what I alluded to up front: If The Ravens don't stick with the run on 1st down in the 1st half, do they have as much success in the short to medium passing game in the 2nd half? Did Jim Caldwell setup the Patriots for failure in the 2nd half? I don't know that the Ravens do or they don't because I am not that smart. But I do know they won in the end, so my hat's off to Jim Caldwell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    so you dont think the niners will be ready for runs on first and second down, then it will put us in third and long? i dont get it, we should try to score and be ahead and not rely on the D to make stops
    at least you finally admit it. How'd ya like Oher, by the way?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Which brings us back to what I alluded to up front: If The Ravens don't stick with the run on 1st down in the 1st half, do they have as much success in the short to medium passing game in the 2nd half? Did Jim Caldwell setup the Patriots for failure in the 2nd half? I don't know that the Ravens do or they don't because I am not that smart. But I do know they won in the end, so my hat's off to Jim Caldwell.
    I don't see, in any way, how the first half "set up" the second half, other than by putting the Ravens behind the 8 ball and creating an unnecessary sense of urgency. But again...to each his own.

So, again someone is unhappy with play caliing, even with a win against the pats? Unbeleivable that Caldwell made a poor game plan in this game. Scoring above 21 points in each of the last 3 games against quality postseason teams. Don't think cam would have achieved that with his play calling.

I don't see, in any way, how the first half "set up" the second half, other than by putting the Ravens behind the 8 ball and creating an unnecessary sense of urgency. But again...to each his own.
    If you don't see how our constant power running in the first half loosened up safety coverage on the back end in the second, then I think you need to look over some basic football strategies.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Other than the fact that the NE linebackers started creeping up, and coupled with the DBs hanging back to stop the long ball? That's what opened up the middle of the field for the intermediate pass in the middle of the field that the Ravens used consistently in the 2nd half to dominate the game.

After the previous two posts, I don't even need to present an argument...

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Other than the fact that the NE linebackers started creeping up, and coupled with the DBs hanging back to stop the long ball? That's what opened up the middle of the field for the intermediate pass in the middle of the field that the Ravens used consistently in the 2nd half to dominate the game.
    And switching up with play action on at least SOME of those runs, or using Pierce instead of Rice on some of those runs, wouldn't have been just as, if not more effective?

The LBs started the game creeped up. Which is partially responsible (along with very vanilla runs) for our bad results on 1st down runs. We didn't get them to creep up with those runs. We didn't accomplish much with those runs except maybe tire out the D-lineman a bit, and set-up a possible surprising 1st down play action (that really only surprises them one time only with great effect). It isn't like NE was saying, "oh noes, a 2 yard run, we better get another guy up at the LOS."

And the downside of continued 2nd and 8's and 3rd and 7's (after two runs) is that Joe's first attempts of the game are in obvious passing downs on 3rd and long, which prevents him from getting into a rhythm.

I think the string of predictable 1st down runs, especially considering their minimal yardage can definitely be questioned. That said, again, Caldwell gets an A for the game; but he earned most of that A grade in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The LBs started the game creeped up. Which is partially responsible (along with very vanilla runs) for our bad results on 1st down runs. We didn't get them to creep up with those runs. We didn't accomplish much with those runs except maybe tire out the D-lineman a bit, and set-up a possible surprising 1st down play action (that really only surprises them one time only with great effect). It isn't like NE was saying, "oh noes, a 2 yard run, we better get another guy up at the LOS."

And the downside of continued 2nd and 8's and 3rd and 7's (after two runs) is that Joe's first attempts of the game are in obvious passing downs on 3rd and long, which prevents him from getting into a rhythm.

I think the string of predictable 1st down runs, especially considering their minimal yardage can definitely be questioned. That said, agan, Caldwell gets an A for the game; but he earned most of that in the 2nd half.
    Thank you. I swear...I honestly think sometimes some people will attempt to rationalize or justify just about anything, no matter how off the mark it is.

Blog Entries

I was getting fustrated with the play calling in the first half but the strategy was eminent. Hard run physical run to wear down wilfork and that defense, show them nothin and keep it close in the first half if the game is still within reachin the 2nd we will unleash Joe to the fullest. Bilecheck got outcoached and out smarted, it was dangerous strategy but it paid off.