Page 45 of 333 FirstFirst ... 4344454647 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Alec Ogletree isn't all that IMO. Did anyone watch the SEC game? He looked awful at times in run defense. I think there are better guys to go for than him which can offer as much value/more value in the 2nd-3rd rounds.
    He over ran some plays, got caught some blockers other plays, i think with Ogletree if you can harness that talent and not too much on his plate early he could be a stud 34 ILB. Is it iffy? certaintly, he's def a better fit as a 43 weakside backer.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Ogletree would maybe be best imo as the 3rd ILB earlier on while playing some nickel. I dont think he'd be ready to do the dirty work as a 34 ILB from day one but once he's able to watch out because he's insanely fast and a natural playmaker.

Hodges would be great value, not the upside of some of the others but a better floor. And that's not to say he isnt an athlete, just not a special one, but he could do anything asked of him as a 34 ILB.

Did some more reasearch, for those looking for cover LB's check out Jamie Collins at Southern Miss, Zaviar Gooden(Former SS) playing Sean Weatherspoon's old role at Mizzou, and Sio Moore at UCONN. Again these guys dont fit the mold of a 3-4 Inside backer but they would be guys i'd tell to focus on playing in the nickel and on ST's. Any of these guys would be nice in the 4th or 5th round to fill that role.
    Cool...thanks!

Watched his tape vs Texas tech, and he looked awful as a run defender. I counted like 8 miss tackles where he got blown out the way by Olinemen, has some upside as a nikel LB who can drop back, plus he made a nice interception at the end, but unless we go into a full time 4-3 scheme, he is about as bad as you can get for a 3-4 ILB fit.
    One game makes a career now does it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    One game makes a career now does it?
    Just saying, if he struggles against a team like Texas tech, he would have some major issues stepping up and stopping big backs like Dwyer while being blocked by the likes of DeCastro and Pouncey, or kevin Zeitler. IMO he would be a perfect fit for a team like the Falcons in the AFC South where all LB's do is cover in that division in base 4-3 defenses. Not so much in the AFCN.

This team likes to draft players who fit the AFCN, and I just don't think Arthur Brown fits that description, as doesn't Alec Ogletree. Manti Teo is someone Ozzy would take within a second of being on the board, sadly he will be gone in the top 5 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Ogletree would maybe be best imo as the 3rd ILB earlier on while playing some nickel. I dont think he'd be ready to do the dirty work as a 34 ILB from day one but once he's able to watch out because he's insanely fast and a natural playmaker.

Hodges would be great value, not the upside of some of the others but a better floor. And that's not to say he isnt an athlete, just not a special one, but he could do anything asked of him as a 34 ILB.

Did some more reasearch, for those looking for cover LB's check out Jamie Collins at Southern Miss, Zaviar Gooden(Former SS) playing Sean Weatherspoon's old role at Mizzou, and Sio Moore at UCONN. Again these guys dont fit the mold of a 3-4 Inside backer but they would be guys i'd tell to focus on playing in the nickel and on ST's. Any of these guys would be nice in the 4th or 5th round to fill that role.
    I agree about Ogletree and Hodges.

Ogletree probably would have to be brought along slowly, but if he can get a little bigger and more physical, maybe he can be brought along at the same rate the Steelers did for Lawrence Timmons in Pittsburgh.

Hodges, I think would be more ready to play earlier.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I agree about Ogletree and Hodges.

Ogletree probably would have to be brought along slowly, but if he can get a little bigger and more physical, maybe he can be brought along at the same rate the Steelers did for Lawrence Timmons in Pittsburgh.

Hodges, I think would be more ready to play earlier.
    Hodges is a day one starter. Been watching a lot of film on him, and he's more physical and isn't so long and lean like Ogletree is, which is what I think is one of the big down sides with Ogletree. Hodges looks a lot more natural, and compares well with Daryl Washington from Arizona.

Hodges would provide this front 7 with more speed, he would make a great tandem with Ellerbe, could make up for one of the most athletic LB tandem in the NFL, something this team has not had for a long time.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 12-24-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Another LB prospect to look at is Sean Porter. He's a guy I like with a lot of scheme versatility, he had 9.5 sacks and 17 TFLs last year playing Von Miller's rush LB role for A&M, then this year they asked him to switch and play more traditional 4-3 OLB, and he's done well. He also lines up on the inside and can drop or blitz up the middle.

If we move to more 4-3 looks next year he could come in and play OLB in the nickel, he can also play some 3-4 Rush although he's very light for that position at 6'2 230. He's a little reminiscent of Lawrence Timmons who played a similar OLB position at FSU. He could potentially also fit at ILB with his athleticism although he's not going to be great right out of the gate taking on guards and centers up the middle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Another LB prospect to look at is Sean Porter. He's a guy I like with a lot of scheme versatility, he had 9.5 sacks and 17 TFLs last year playing Von Miller's rush LB role for A&M, then this year they asked him to switch and play more traditional 4-3 OLB, and he's done well. He also lines up on the inside and can drop or blitz up the middle.

If we move to more 4-3 looks next year he could come in and play OLB in the nickel, he can also play some 3-4 Rush although he's very light for that position at 6'2 230. He's a little reminiscent of Lawrence Timmons who played a similar OLB position at FSU. He could potentially also fit at ILB with his athleticism although he's not going to be great right out of the gate taking on guards and centers up the middle.
    Yes, I finally got down to watching some stuff on him too, I like what I see. Frankly anything coming out of A&M right now is going to be good.

Hodges is a day one starter. Been watching a lot of film on him, and he's more physical and isn't so long and lean like Ogletree is, which is what I think is one of the big down sides with Ogletree. Hodges looks a lot more natural, and compares well with Daryl Washington from Arizona.

Hodges would provide this front 7 with more speed, he would make a great tandem with Ellerbe, could make up for one of the most athletic LB tandem in the NFL, something this team has not had for a long time.
    Factoring in everything im starting to think Hodges in the 3rd might be the best value

Blog Entries

If we are forced to let go of Leach for cap space, Trey Millard out of Oklahoma would be a suitable replacement. He could be a hybrid player in this offense, he can lead block, but can also line up at HB similar to a Peyton Hillis, he runs hard, great receiver too. He would fit in well in Bmore.

Blog Entries

Don't forget about Shayne Skov either, he's came back pretty strong after his ACL, someone to target in the second round.

Blog Entries
    Don't forget about Shayne Skov either, he's came back pretty strong after his ACL, someone to target in the second round.
    I like Skov a lot. I like a couple of the Stanford players.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.