Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ray Wants Contract Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Mobtown View Post
    Why? He just completed one of his best best years ever...I think he timed this very well.
    I can't see how this was one of his best years by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobtown View Post
    Why? He just completed one of his best best years ever...I think he timed this very well.
    Regardless of whether this is true, the money's not there. We are tight against the cap this off season.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Warning Mike Preston Content! Warning Mike Preston Content!

Preston said the same shit last year, and he said Ray and Reed werent talking anymore.

He has some sort of vendetta against Ray Lewis.

Thanks you and remember, always question the source!

"This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    What is the big deal? If Ray Lewis talking about being the "highest paid player" then of course, that's a no. Otherwise, re-doing Ray's deal could actually benefit the cap. Ray just wants upfront money. Right now his cap number around 6.5 to 7M. That is way too much for a LB well in his 30s. BRavor of course could give more substantive examples of how a new deal could help the cap.

I don't know how much time is left on Ray's current deal. (I believe it is two years). Let's say he is due 6.5M in 2007 and 7M in 2008. Why can't we just turn all of that into a signing bonus of say 12M and spread it over 5 more years and backload the money after the 2008 season, then give Ray a very low annual salary. (Again, just throwing numbers out. BRavor could do this much better).

Ray's cap hit as it stands right now for the 2007 season is almost $9.5 M if I'm not mistaken. B-more has the exact numbers for sure & can better explain than me, he's our expert on the cap. His current deal has 2 years left. Ray knows the Ravens are in a tight spot w/ the cap & sees a chance to lower his cap # & get that guarenteed bonus $$ upfront w/ the Ravens spreading out a new deal over 5 or 6 years. That's the way I read this.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Warning Mike Preston Content! Warning Mike Preston Content!

Preston said the same shit last year, and he said Ray and Reed werent talking anymore.

He has some sort of vendetta against Ray Lewis.

Thanks you and remember, always question the source!
    Yeah but for the most part he is on the money about stuff

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    I can't see how this was one of his best years by any stretch of the imagination.
    164 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 interceptions and 9 passes defensed is a good year by anyone's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    What is the big deal? If Ray Lewis talking about being the "highest paid player" then of course, that's a no. Otherwise, re-doing Ray's deal could actually benefit the cap. Ray just wants upfront money. Right now his cap number around 6.5 to 7M. That is way too much for a LB well in his 30s. BRavor of course could give more substantive examples of how a new deal could help the cap.

I don't know how much time is left on Ray's current deal. (I believe it is two years). Let's say he is due 6.5M in 2007 and 7M in 2008. Why can't we just turn all of that into a signing bonus of say 12M and spread it over 5 more years and backload the money after the 2008 season, then give Ray a very low annual salary. (Again, just throwing numbers out. BRavor could do this much better).
    Ray has 2 years left on his deal. His base salaries in 2007 and 2008 is $6.5M per year and his cap number for each year is $9.429M.

While it is true that extending his deal would very much lessen those cap numbers for 2007 and 2008, the question for me is whether Ray is only interested in the $12-13M? After all, there really isn't a lot of difference between getting it all now versus over the next 2 years. Unfortunately, my guess is that Ray wants a deal that would pay him significantly more over the next 2-3 years than what his present deal calls for. That, IMO, is why they have again, apparently, said "no".

Similarly, if the bonus was $12M (over a 5-year deal), then they would still have $7.2M in accounted-for bonus money to account for beyond his present deal (2009), which, I'm guessing, is beyond the point that they feel he will be able to maintain a level of solid contribution. Now, if they feel that he can play for 3 or 4 more years, then it would make sense to do such a deal to lessen his present cap number, but, again, since they haven't been willing to do so, I think that answers the question as to what they are thinking.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not saying that Ray won't get an extension, and perhaps this is all part of the negotiation process, but so far, there is nothing leading me to think that they will give him a new deal - even if we do need the cap space.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 01-24-2007 at 06:23 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Keep the contract as is. A deal is a deal. I am sick and tired of all these players and coaches trying to get out of contracts which are legally binding documents.

I would never amend any contract for a player, no matter how much he needed the money.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    Keep the contract as is. A deal is a deal. I am sick and tired of all these players and coaches trying to get out of contracts which are legally binding documents.

I would never amend any contract for a player, no matter how much he needed the money.
    The only problem with that theory is that teams can alter deals (i.e. salary cap cuts, etc.). I have no problem with players want new deals. The problem with NFL contracts is that players want deals for what they did in the past whereas MLB players get deals as to what their current/future potential projects to be.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

yeah teams can just as easily cut you when it doesn't feel the need to use you anymore.

The NFL is a machine it just uses players for as long as they are good and then your done, I won't look down upon someone trying to get their money

Yeah but for the most part he is on the money about stuff
    Except when he was way off and turned half the fanbase on Ray, just last year.

This is exactly how it started last year. Next he will say they wont give him an extension, then itll be that X team has offered a 2nd and then finally a timeline will be formulated for his trade. Once the said timeline has expired everyone realizes that Preston was just BSing again.

Just be careful guys.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Just look at this quote:

"It's looks like mighty Ray has struck out again."

So he's telling us that less than 2 weeks after the season they've already had talks and nothing is gonna happen?

Anyone else think that most of the organization is taking a little time off to regroup and start focusing on the offseason?

Im not saying there hasn't been some talk because we don't know. However, Preston sure seems to have slanted view on the topic.

And the last time I heard Ray, he was very positive talking about this past season and about getting geared up for next season.

PP