Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Manziel comes to the AFC North

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    I just heard this so I looked it up. Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden and Johnny Manziel were all first round picks chosen at #22. Will Manziel be a victim of the #22 Curse?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nd_draft_picks
    Now that is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That seems to be the way it is with fans too. Everyone seems so sure he's either going to be a bust or great.

I'm going to say that he has only played 2 years in college - one he won the Heisman and passed for over 3,700 yds. The second, he passed for over 4,000 yards. His completion rate was almost 70% both years.
    I saw him beat #1 Bama and throw for almost 400 in that game. The kid's got talent, a better arm than most think and he's super competitive. But I don't pretend to be able to say for sure how that will project in the NFL.
    Tim Tebow completed close to 70% of his passes (66.4%, Manziel 68.9%). Tebow also had a higher Yds/Att (9.3 vice 9.1), better TD/Int ratio (88-16 for Tebow, 63-22 for Manziel) and an overall higher QB rating (170.8 to 164.1). Oh, and Tebow also played in the SEC, and also won a Heisman.

Neither of these guys skills translate well to the NFL: Look to your 1st (sometimes only) read. If it's not there, run around for a while while some (mostly) plodding college-level Dlineman and LBs pretend to chase you, then after 4-6 seconds, either hit a now-wide-open receiver or run for the 1st down. The NFL game is too fast for that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Neither of these guys skills translate well to the NFL: Look to your 1st (sometimes only) read. If it's not there, run around for a while while some (mostly) plodding college-level Dlineman and LBs pretend to chase you, then after 4-6 seconds, either hit a now-wide-open receiver or run for the 1st down. The NFL game is too fast for that.
    Makes sense to me. Can't wait to see the sack party we throw him.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Manziel's pocket awareness and throwing fundamentals are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Timmy Tebow's. Also while they have similar straight line speed, Johnny has maybe the best change of direction elusiveness I've EVER seen in a QB not named Tarkenton.

He has a high flame out potential, but his ceiling as a player is so far above Tebow's that Timmy would think he ascended to heaven before he got halfway to it.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Manziel's pocket awareness and throwing fundamentals are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Timmy Tebow's. Also while they have similar straight line speed, Johnny has maybe the best change of direction elusiveness I've EVER seen in a QB not named Tarkenton.

He has a high flame out potential, but his ceiling as a player is so far above Tebow's that Timmy would think he ascended to heaven before he got halfway to it.
    Agreed. Other than power running, there's not a thing Tebow does/did better than Manziel. Manziel's highly underrated on here, IMO. Not the best organization to develop him though.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post

Agree with you about his having a fundamentally more sound throwing motion (but then, it would be hard to find one who's mechanics were worse than Tebow's). He's far from perfect though - and his footwork is sloppy.

Better pocket awareness? Sure. But to what end? He hasn't used that skill in college in way that translates to the NFL. Meaning, he doesn't slide within the pocket to create time while keeping his eyes downfield - he's a one-read, then bolt QB. The speed of NFL defenses is going to be a big shock to him. And his relatively slight frame is going to take a beating.

If anything, he leaves the pocket too early. Not sure that makes for good pocket awareness.

Suggs and Ngata are thrilled at this pick. If Manziel breaks the pocket, he's going to be toast.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Agree with you about his having a fundamentally more sound throwing motion (but then, it would be hard to find one who's mechanics were worse than Tebow's). He's far from perfect though - and his footwork is sloppy.

Better pocket awareness? Sure. But to what end? He hasn't used that skill in college in way that translates to the NFL. Meaning, he doesn't slide within the pocket to create time while keeping his eyes downfield - he's a one-read, then bolt QB. The speed of NFL defenses is going to be a big shock to him. And his relatively slight frame is going to take a beating.
    I was just about to type up similar rebuttals. His mechanics arent great, his footwork is poor. average arm, average accuracy. Doesnt use his awareness for the passing game, he uses it for his run game.
    -JAB

Getting a fast, sideline to sideline LB like Mosley can actually be an advantage playing against a QB like Johnny, just saying :)
    Please Ozzie, don't trade down

Quote Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
    We are talking about the Browns, they'll F it up somehow.
    Apparently the homeless can draft better than the Browns, and in fact, have been giving input. LOL!

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/...ootball-050814

"Here in Cleveland, everywhere I go, people know me. And I was out to dinner recently. And a homeless person was out on the street, looked up at me and said, 'Draft Manziel.' Just like that."
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    Apparently the homeless can draft better than the Browns, and in fact, have been giving input. LOL!

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/...ootball-050814
    That's too damned funny. Give that homeless guy season tickets. He'll fit right in.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Blog Entries

Manziel scares me. He's in the QB catagory that kills this Ravens D; inexperienced rookies, underachieving 2nd stringers, and soon-to-be retirees. If he doesn't become elite ASAP he could kill the Raven's for years to come as he fades through the ranks of mediocre.