Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to keep

Blog Entries
    Watching the SB, Ed Reed covered up several mistakes by linebackers and DBs. Hope we can keep him around another year

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Re: Who to keep

I think they need to do everything they can to extend Boldin//Jones/Mckinnie(seriously). Ravens made this SB on the strength of their receivers and they need to keep this group together for the next 2-3 years. Even if it means key losses on defense. This is Joe's team now. They have to surround him with the best talent they can and rebuild the defense through the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I think they need to do everything they can to extend Boldin//Jones/Mckinnie(seriously). Ravens made this SB on the strength of their receivers and they need to keep this group together for the next 2-3 years. Even if it means key losses on defense. This is Joe's team now. They have to surround him with the best talent they can and rebuild the defense through the draft.
    It's a tall order to fill 2 ILB positions, a FS, a pass rusher and a weak NT position through the draft in one year. I want to get Ed back too, but I'm afraid what they'll offer him may insult him.

After Joe I feel the priorities are as follows:

Find a way to resign Kruger and Ellerbee
    Find a way to retain both Boldin and Jacoby by restructuring their contacts, I don't think Doss, Thompson or Streeter are ready to step up
    I'm confident our FO will do what's necessary to reload and continue to be a legitimate contender. It should be interesting to see how the Ravens respond to the huge leadership vacuum Ray Lewis leaves behind.

A few thoughts...

I think Ed Reed comes back, based off what Harbaugh alluded to a few times in regards to their conversation on the way back on the bus. Plus what Ed said today, it's clear his heart in stitched onto this city. I also think losing him and Ray at once is too much of a leadership loss for this defense that is filled with many young players.

We need to extend Flacco and avoid the franchise tag.

Re-signing Ellerbe is a no-brainer.

Keep Kruger if we can, if not, whatever.

Peace Cary Williams.

To those saying not to tender Ed Dickson, couldn't disagree more. He is the most talented tight end on the team, and once Cam got fired, we started to see how effective he can be once again.

Re-structure/extend Boldin, Suggs, and Jacoby.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    It's a tall order to fill 2 ILB positions, a FS, a pass rusher and a weak NT position through the draft in one year. I want to get Ed back too, but I'm afraid what they'll offer him may insult him.
    I was thinking more along the lines of rebuilding over the next couple years. Even if it means taking a major step back on that side of the ball. If Joe and those receivers can put up 30 per game, I think we can still contend. We need to get used to the defense taking a back seat to the offense now, IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miz89 View Post
    ... To those saying not to tender Ed Dickson, couldn't disagree more. He is the most talented tight end on the team, and once Cam got fired, we started to see how effective he can be once again...
    I'd like to retain Dickson for 2013 too, but to say he's more talented than Dennis Pitta is ridiculous... Bc

8. Re: Who to keep

After extending Joe I think they'll keep Ellerbe and Ed. I'd love to keep Kruger but we just cannot do it. At least we have Upshaw, McClellan, Hamilton, and McAdoo. Will our pass rush drop off a bit? Yes, but maybe they add a pure rusher in the mid rounds? Upshaw should blossom like Kruger by year 3 or 4. Cary's stepped up his play, he'll earn a big contract from another team. I agree that keeping Ed helps maintain some leadership and he's still pretty good. I hope he can retire a Raven. Ellerbe is a bit cheaper being that he's an ILB compared to Kruger, who's an OLB. Also, we don't have much at all if Ellerbe leaves. With him back, he's in his prime, I see him being one of the leaders of the defense for the next few years.

As far as FA, well... that'll be it, BUT this team isn't depleted by any stretch. We MUST keep Boldin and Jones, two huge pieces of this team. I think extending them for another year or two would be smart. I am in favor of keeping McKinnie on a 1 year contract. It gives us insurance for at least one more season. We can pick a developmental tackle relatively early too. I also would be interested in retaining James Ihedigbo, a physical presence on ST's.

As far as the draft, we can expect a lot of defense and it's a perfect time to have 11 picks. We need to get back to playing solid run defense. We desperately need another impact DL to take pressure off of Ngata. Art Jones has stepped up as the other 34 end starter with McPhee spelling as a pass rusher, but we are weak at NT. We also need a tackling machine at ILB, obviously. If we have to keep McClain for another season, so be it, at least he's been with us for awhile and is a leader. Josh Bynes is a capable backup, but adding a young presence here would be big. Personally I like Kevin Minter, Khasheem Greene, Gerald Hodges and Te'o (if he drops in the 2nd). We also could use another pass rusher at some point with a safety and depth CB. Ozzie is so good at finding gems whether they be unknown vets from other teams or UDFA's. I'm confident we'll field another playoff team with the offense leading the charge.

Jacoby and Q must be extended.

Both of them bring a fearless attitude to this offense.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Blog Entries

I actually think we should be taking the Bengals seriously, they will be more threatening than the Steelers IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    Jacoby and Q must be extended.

Both of them bring a fearless attitude to this offense.
    This 100x!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I actually think we should be taking the Bengals seriously, they will be more threatening than the Steelers IMO.
    The Steelers might be the worst team in the NFL next year. Their cap situation is so awful that they can't even make a viable offer to Mike Wallace.

Keep in mind that the cap is going to be roughly $121 million. They have $101.6 million tied up into ten players for next year (Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Woodley, Timmons, Keisel, Colon, Clark, Ike Taylor, Miller, Harrison) Eight of those 10 players will be in their 30s next year.

Here's the funny part. They were cash strapped against the 2012 cap to the point that they restructured a couple of contracts. Now, just in those 10 players above, they are looking at $39.8 million in salary increases from '12 to '13. That's not counting all their 1st-3rd year players who will all be getting raises next year as well. They also don't have that many contracts coming off the books to offset those increases. Wallace ($2.7 in 2012), Foote ($3.6 in 2012), and Hampton ($4.9 in 2012) are the only help they get in that department.

Know what is even more painful? They have just shy of $39 million tied up in dead money to those nine players just for 2013. That's not even true dead money, because, if they wanted to cut someone, they'd have to pay future dead money as well.

So their dead money amount for their 1-10 highest paid players is roughly comparable to what we are paying in full salary/bonuses to our 3-12 players (excluding Ngata and Suggs).

Cutting Harrison (age 35 in 2013) would save $6.57 but would also cost them $4.93 in dead money.

Cutting Ike Taylor would save $6 million in 2013 salary, but they would also be saddled with nearly $7 million in dead money from his final two years.

Cutting Willie Colon would save $5.5 million , but he is due roughly $6.4 in dead money over the final 3 years of his contract.

These aging Steelers weren't particularly good last year, aren't getting any younger or healthier, and are too backloaded with their contracts to be able to make any sense in actually cutting them.

What the Steelers could do is either:

a) cut the heck out of their roster, eat all that dead money, and try to use whatever is left to find a free agent or two. However, not too many of those contracts are cut friendly. Woodley, Timmons, and Roethlisberger each have over $10 million in future dead money. These might be the 3 worth saving out of those ten. Ryan Clark's contract isn't too bad either. They would part ways with everyone else, keep a few pivotal veterans, and load up on young players. That's a tall task though, because Pouncey and Antonio Brown are really the only two recent draft picks who have done much for them.

b) restructure to work on clearing that $30-$40 million off the books and pushing it into 2014, when the cap is much larger. This is the route I hope they go because it would keep these aging, past-their-prime players around for even longer to the point that it might diminish their chances of success for even longer.

Either route they opt to take leaves them as the 4th best team in the AFC North for probably at least the next two seasons. I like it.