Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    iggyman555 Guest

ESPN: NFL Future Power Rankings

does anyone have insider? looks like the 49ers are #1

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...g-2016-seasonn

this is last years rankings: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ng-2015-season

Re: ESPN: NFL Future Power Rankings

Here's the top and the bottom, and the AFC North rundown:

#1 - 49ers 87.50 overall score, Roster 8.7, QB 8.7, Draft 8.8, Front Office 8.8, Coaching 8.8

#4 - Ravens 82.42 overall score, Roster 7, QB 7.7, Draft 9, Front Office 9.8, Coaching 9
    #13 - Bengals 66.25 overall score, Roster 7.2, QB 5.5, Draft 7, Front Office 5.7, Coaching 7.2
    #14 - Steelers 65.71 overall score, Roster 5.5, QB 5.7, Draft 6.8, Front Office 8, Coaching 7.8
    #27 - Browns 50.96 overall score, Roster 5.7, QB 3.2, Draft 6.2, Front Office 5.2, Coaching 5

#32 - Jets 41.38 overall score, Roster 3.8, QB 3.3, Draft 5.5, Front Office 5, Coaching 3.7

Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post
    Here's the top and the bottom, and the AFC North rundown:

#1 - 49ers 87.50 overall score, Roster 8.7, QB 8.7, Draft 8.8, Front Office 8.8, Coaching 8.8
    #4 - Ravens 82.42 overall score, Roster 7, QB 7.7, Draft 9, Front Office 9.8, Coaching 9
    #13 - Bengals 66.25 overall score, Roster 7.2, QB 5.5, Draft 7, Front Office 5.7, Coaching 7.2
    #14 - Steelers 65.71 overall score, Roster 5.5, QB 5.7, Draft 6.8, Front Office 8, Coaching 7.8
    #27 - Browns 50.96 overall score, Roster 5.7, QB 3.2, Draft 6.2, Front Office 5.2, Coaching 5

#32 - Jets 41.38 overall score, Roster 3.8, QB 3.3, Draft 5.5, Front Office 5, Coaching 3.7
    Seriously, how is Kaepernick rated higher than Joe?

And LOL at Rex's grade.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post

And LOL at Rex's grade.
    I think Kaepernick is a good quarterback but I agree, he didn't just grade higher than Joe, but significantly higher. I would question the the method used to rank them(if any). It leaves me to believe it's just another biased opinion.

And LOL at Rex's grade.
    Fresh infatuation

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    I think Kaepernick is a good quarterback but I agree, he didn't just grade higher than Joe, but significantly higher. I would question the the method used to rank them(if any). It leaves me to believe it's just another biased opinion.
    Time will tell. he had some impressive games running, but the league has film and now has an idea how to contain him. Being jim harbaugh Qb helps a lot in the rankings. Talking heads are hoping the 9ers do real well this year. I think the heads are overlooking seattle and the other NFC teams. Gotta play the game on the field, not in the preseason ramblings.

Kap has a ton of potential, but to rank a guy who has played 10 games ahead of a guy who had the post season success as well as the body of work and years of playoff success that Joe has had, is foolish.

Interesting, too, is the coaching rating. John Harbaugh gets a 9.0; Jim Harbaugh gets an 8.8 - yet about three weeks ago ESPN ranked Jim (#2) higher than John (#3). I wonder what happened in the last three weeks for that flip-flop to happen, because they didn't coach any games.

Blog Entries
    It's all speculation and opinion at this point but consider this about the 9ers.
    They open against the Packers as the Fox afternoon game. Game two is SNF at Seattle. Game three is Indy then TNF four days later at the Rams. Game five they're back on SNF at Houston. And no Crabtree

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

And LOL at Rex's grade.

Well, it's supposed to a "futures" ranking, projecting out to 2016, that takes all bodies at the QB position on a team (and their contracts) into account. I think the Ravens QBs are ranked lower than the 49ers QBs just as an acknowledgement of Joe's ballooning cap number in 2016, and that he's older.

Here's a rough of the method behind this nonsense:

CATEGORIES (weighting)
    ROSTER (32.5 percent): Quality of current roster excluding QB, emphasizing young players and devaluing players over 30 in 2015
    QUARTERBACK (17.5 percent): Team's QB situation, focusing on the future
    DRAFT (15 percent): Evaluating each team's 2012 draft class, reputation in the draft and number of available draft picks in 2013, '14 and '15
    FRONT OFFICE (15 percent): Ability to manage team's roster and bring in new talent via free agency or trades, plus market's attraction to free agents
    COACHING (20 percent): Capability and stability of coaching staff

Just read the "in-depth" explanations of the methodology. Here's the idea for "OB" :

Quarterback: This category covers a team's QB situation, focusing on the future. Does a team have its 2016 starter on the roster and how does that player project in three seasons? A 10 represents a team that projects to have an All-Pro QB at the helm in 2016. A 1 represents a team with no projected 2016 starter in its system.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post
    Well, it's supposed to a "futures" ranking, projecting out to 2016, that takes all bodies at the QB position on a team (and their contracts) into account. I think the Ravens QBs are ranked lower than the 49ers QBs just as an acknowledgement of Joe's ballooning cap number in 2016, and that he's older.

Here's a rough of the method behind this nonsense:

CATEGORIES (weighting)
    ROSTER (32.5 percent): Quality of current roster excluding QB, emphasizing young players and devaluing players over 30 in 2015
    QUARTERBACK (17.5 percent): Team's QB situation, focusing on the future
    DRAFT (15 percent): Evaluating each team's 2012 draft class, reputation in the draft and number of available draft picks in 2013, '14 and '15
    FRONT OFFICE (15 percent): Ability to manage team's roster and bring in new talent via free agency or trades, plus market's attraction to free agents
    COACHING (20 percent): Capability and stability of coaching staff

Just read the "in-depth" explanations of the methodology. Here's the idea for "OB" :
    Well taking that into account... SF doesn't currently have a QB under contract for 20... never mind. I just realized they could feasibly franchise Kapernick twice and have him on their 2016 roster. Right now his rookie contract runs out after 2014.

TBH, I still think your comment at #5 applies, even with the explanation.

Oh, and I think the ESPN guys are grading Rex more on the "stability" requirement than the "capability" one. They clearly think his seat is hot, that's why he's so low.