Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Obligatory Fire Cam Thread

The play wasn't "executed" because Flacco is too smart to throw the ball there.

And yeah, I'm happy we won... but that's not the point of this thread. Cam's got to go. I've been willing to give him a pass up until that play call. It's over now. You can't give away strategic advantages in the NFL and expect me to defend you.

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    You really shouldn't be telling us its an "execution" issue when that was the play call. Sorry, maybe you leave this thread to the adults...
    Even in the face of a win, the personal attacks fly.

Re: 3rd and 2

That call was amazing. There are times when you have to have the guts to go WIN the game, but geez, that was way beyond guts. That just seemed reckless. Don't you have a run play that you have a reasonable degree of confidence in to get you 2 yards??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've defended Cam before, and I'll defend him in the future, but that is just insane.

I think he has the philosophy of "If we execute it won't matter." It's a fine strategy to have, but sometimes, you just gotta try to confuse the defense.
    You can pitch the execution word all day, just like Cam. If your strategy sucks and the players don't by it and/or the Defense executes better because they know what you are going to do anyway than it is moot. Defense has to execute too and it's not hard against Cam. Some times you just have to rely on good ole statistics. Let me think if we call a SG pass play what are the negatives (INC (stops the clock), INT (even worse), strip sack). If we run, get stopped short (clock keeps running, [positive], fumble (not as likely, keep 2 hands on the ball the whole time). Line up Jumbo and run the stretch to the right that worked for 3-4 yards all night.

Pass = 3 negatives
    Run = 1 negative

You decide.....

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyotc View Post
    Don't you have a run play that you have a reasonable degree of confidence in to get you 2 yards??
    Actually, unless we're home, we probably don't. Rice had very little success tonight.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
    Even if the pass WAS there, it would have been stupid to throw it. The receiver could have dropped the pass and stopped the clock.

That would have given the Steelers about 1:55 to down down and kick a field goal to force OT.

Running...in any direction...even if they stop you, burns 40 seconds and leaves a time out free Steelers 1:20 to go the length of the field. (Which is what ultimately happened)

But it's 2 freaking yards! And you've got a good running game. Getting the 2 yards wins the game outright! If you miss, you still come out okay. Those are really the only two likely scenarios.

But passing...even dropping back to pass...SO MUCH CAN GO WRONG with no more advantage than you'd have running.
    The call was indescribably stupid, no doubt, but I think if someone is wide open you definitely throw it. Of course something can go wrong, but you don't lose the game if it does, you just give the other team another 35 seconds. On the flip-side, a first down (nothing goes wrong) wins the game.

So there is a trade-off involved here, but using reasonable assumptions it is never worth it, mainly because, as you said, the odds of throwing for it would never be significantly (enough) better than the odds of running for it. But I suspect Cameron deluded himself into thinking we had literally a 0% chance of running for it, and his "genius" of throwing it would mean someone would be wide open and the odds we make it throwing it would be like 90% (in his mind). Of course this is nonsense, but Cameron seemed to be thinking something along these lines; that or he was trying to lose the game.

That call was amazing. There are times when you have to have the guts to go WIN the game, but geez, that was way beyond guts. That just seemed reckless. Don't you have a run play that you have a reasonable degree of confidence in to get you 2 yards??
    There is a better word to describe what you just described.....Stupid...the play was just plain stupid

We won so its all good I guess
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    He was told to take a sack if the pass wasn't there.
    https://twitter.com/jasonbuttcbs/sta...89523781935106

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah Joe just take the Sack if it is not there, no big deal. Don't worry about the strip sack, who Woodley and Harrison are very good at especially when it's Joe cool.

Lame, Lame and....... LAME

It seems to me the only way you even consider throwing it in that situation (and even then, I don't think you should) would be to have Joe up under center and play action to a short dump off pass.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Even in the face of a win, the personal attacks fly.
    You did see me "flush" myself, right?

In all seriousness, I don't think anyone can defend that play call. No even Cam. Lets say Big Ben is playing; do you want to give him the ball back with around a minute left? Thats how Cam has to call the game at that point. He cannot give them the ball and that call was wrong on so many levels at that point.

It seems to me the only way you even consider throwing it in that situation (and even then, I don't think you should) would be to have Joe up under center and play action to a short dump off pass.Tj
    This.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    You can pitch the execution word all day, just like Cam. If your strategy sucks and the players don't by it and/or the Defense executes better because they know what you are going to do anyway than it is moot. Defense has to execute too and it's not hard against Cam. Some times you just have to rely on good ole statistics. Let me think if we call a SG pass play what are the negatives (INC (stops the clock), INT (even worse), strip sack). If we run, get stopped short (clock keeps running, [positive], fumble (not as likely, keep 2 hands on the ball the whole time). Line up Jumbo and run the stretch to the right that worked for 3-4 yards all night.

Pass = 3 negatives
    Run = 1 negative

You decide.....
    It's classic Cam. If the situation calls for something obvious, he goes with something out of the box. If the situation calls for something out of the box, he calls something simple.