Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Special Teams Suck!

Ok, fans, imo the special teams play (with the EXCEPTION OF MONEY STOVER!) was atrocious!! How can a team expect to win when it continually allows the opposing team to start at, or near midfield, on every starting possession - this was inexcusable! Not to mention poor clock management - Billick you blew this one, along with Frank Gansz, for not having your special teams ready to play! Shame on the both of you!

Re: Special Teams Suck!

Those last two returns really hurt, and it's not like he was really breaking tackles.

The lack of down field coverage on punts and kickoffs isn't anything new IMO.

This has been happening for years regardless of who is playing on special teams or coaching them.

It's just magnified that much more when it's happening against a team with a real good returner.

It's kind of like the offense here...

Doesn't matter who's behind center or who has the "Title" offensive coordinator, there's still one constant....
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Agreed. Last 3 weeks kick coverage has been spotty and kick returns have been terrifying, featuring roughly 1 turnover/game over that stretch. Ouch.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Ross and Figurs should make all you that aren't Sams fans appreciate him a hell of a lot more. At least he never fumbled, and usually got us good field position. Figurs is ok, but Ross is dreadful and has no business being on an NFL team...
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Quote Originally Posted by RavenFanatic2k6 View Post
    Ross and Figurs should make all you that aren't Sams fans appreciate him a hell of a lot more. At least he never fumbled, and usually got us good field position. Figurs is ok, but Ross is dreadful and has no business being on an NFL team...
    Oooooo. I seem to remember a certain 2004 Cincinatti game where Sams coughed up one near our red zone that helped Cincy come back to win that game.

I don't understand why Figurs was not out there fielding punts. Corey Ross was the better half of horrible tonight.

And Kaven is right, Joshua Cribbs was DRAGGING our special teams guys 5-10 yards with him today. I couldn't believe it.

Well, I think one or two fumbles out of how many returns means he rarely fumbles. Certainly a heck of a lot less than Figurs and Ross. At this point they just need to let Figurs return everything. Enough with Reed, cut Ross because he's absolutely worthless. Let Figurs do it. This is a situation where we need to know if we'll have to bring back BJ or not, because we can't go into next season with the same non-existent return game.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

One thing I just thought of was why kick to Cribbs at the start of OT? He was averaging 35 yards on kickoff returns. You would have to known that he would take it back to at least the 40. So why not squib kick it, or tell Stover to put alot of air under it so he couldn't catch it on the run.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Kicking it to Cribbs will forever leave me scratching my head. we were unable to stop the guy throughout all regulation, why would that change in OT?
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

What is wrong with this Frank Gansz, Jr? I thought he was suppose to the the special teams genius? We were diced up yesterday. I think all of these assistant coaches, except for Rex Ryan (who always does his job) need to be evaluated for their compentcy and job performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    What is wrong with this Frank Gansz, Jr? I thought he was suppose to the the special teams genius? We were diced up yesterday. I think all of these assistant coaches, except for Rex Ryan (who always does his job) need to be evaluated for their compentcy and job performance.
    Agree.

And why is is that Cory Ross can't catch the ball? How hard is it to catch the ball or better yet call a fair catch and just not drop the damn thing. Ugh! And I like Ed Reed but he scares me too when on PR as he wants to make a big play and that is a costly move if he loses the ball giving way to a short field.
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia.
    -xmradiodave 9/13/08

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

There is three things this team doesn't get.

QB play. O'line play. And special teams play.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.