Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens to make Ellerbe an offer

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Looking more likely by the day all of them are gone. Oh we'll more comp picks like you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Josh Bynes and a drafted rookie with Mclellan as the top backup plus the uncertainty that is Jamell... rough... Really want Ellerbe back.

Blog Entries

The Sword also gets the feeling that all four of them are gone, in all seriousness. It wouldn't make sense for Dannell Ellerbe to skip out on what could be his one chance at a major payday. He was an UDFA who got his head on straight and made his way up. However, he also has some injury issues. There is no telling what the market might be like the next time he gets to experience Free Agency. By then, it might be due to his release from a team, in a situation where he's not nearly as sought after. Right now, his value is as high as it will ever be. He doesn't have any other ties to Baltimore, other than winning the Championship here. Under those circumstances, if I were him, I would test the market as well.

As for Ed Reed, to be honest, I don't think the team seriously wants him back. I think that Ozzie and Steve want him to spend his entire career as a Raven, but the writing was on the wall for he and Lewis long before the Super Bowl run. There was a thought out there that the team would have to make the decision for both of those players. Ray, thank goodness, made the decision for himself before it reached that point. I was never confident that Reed would do the same.

Paul Kruger was the guy we all knew was gone. He was not a full time starter and would not fit as one in our system. Buffalo might be a decent spot for him, but I see him disappointing in his new location.

Bryant McKinnie is a guy that the team probably doesn't want to deal with anymore, but will deal with for the right price. Especially, after they draft a LT to develop behind him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I'm not sad at losing Ellerbe

For all the bashing of guys like Kruger for "wanting to cash in," Ellerbe and his agent REALLY sound like they have no loyalty whatsoever to the Ravens (not that they should, just pointing it out.)

I'm not trying to read too much into it but based on this last statement and others Ellerbe has made recently I almost wonder if he would prefer to NOT be back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    I'm not sad at losing Ellerbe
    The one reason why I am not sad at losing Ellerbe is, because the guy never stays healthy. He hasn't come close to playing ONE 16 game season without missing any time.

The talent is there and he can be a force when he's in there. I think he finally has his head on straight. I just don't think he can stay healthy.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The one reason why I am not sad at losing Ellerbe is, because the guy never stays healthy. He hasn't come close to playing ONE 16 game season without missing any time.

The talent is there and he can be a force when he's in there. I think he finally has his head on straight. I just don't think he can stay healthy.
    I agree. It begs the question, who replaces him and Lewis?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Any combination of McClain, Bynes, McClellan, Carr and a draft pick(s).

Blog Entries

To add to Paintballguy's comments, the devaluation of the ILB positions, lends itself to value in FA. There will be guys to be had for low prices.

I'm curious to see what happens here, all of those options have me nervous. The way Cody played last year, it's difficult to stop the run with a 350 SOS being thrown in your face.

Josh Bynes and adrafted rook... with ossble hope for Jameel and with Albert Mclellan being the primary backup at every single LBer position.

Add in Macadoo and Hamilton as situational passrushers only and it looks liek we will draft a few...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    To add to Paintballguy's comments, the devaluation of the ILB positions, lends itself to value in FA. There will be guys to be had for low prices.
    Yes don't rule out picking up a lower priced FA ILB also.

Him getting to the open market sort of scares me, this free agency class at MLB sucks. Not that losing Ellerbe is catastrophic but it would be nice to keep him and get a rookie complement next to him as opposed to being under the gun to take a MLB early in the draft and probably pick up some old slow insurance like Takeo Spikes or somebody, although i'd hop on Larry Grant pretty quickly if Ellerbe's asking price gets too high.