Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: We need a beast WR

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Right, but as a restricted free agent with a 1st round tender, a team would have to negotiate a salary (which the Giants would have the right to match), pay Cruz a bigger salary (with probably a bigger cap hit a few years down the line than a first round pick), and lose a first round pick as well.
    I understand but the teams I listed could do that. They could make him an offer that the Giants can't match. But it never seems to happen like there is a gentleman's agreement...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I understand but the teams I listed could do that. They could make him an offer that the Giants can't match. But it never seems to happen like there is a gentleman's agreement...
    I don'tt hink it's a gentleman's agreement, I think it is the sufficiently highcost that is barrier to entry. Especially in light of the new Rookie wage scale, paying a first round pick AND a top end FA salary isn't that appealing, though, in a way, that is precisely what happenned with Percy Harvin. He wasn't a RFA, but similar in that after this coming year he was gone. IMO, that was the very worst move of the offseason for any time(looking from Seattle's perspective). With the pick they shipped to Minny, they could have gotten 4 years of Tavon Austin for a bit mroe hten one year of Harvin. IMO, Austin will be the better pro.

Blog Entries

Right, but as a restricted free agent with a 1st round tender, a team would have to negotiate a salary (which the Giants would have the right to match), pay Cruz a bigger salary (with probably a bigger cap hit a few years down the line than a first round pick), and lose a first round pick as well.
    I've heard NYG only offered Cruz around $7M/year.

Some people laughed at me when I said Cruz wouldn't be offered much more than Welker/Amendola. Well they averaged about $6M.

$7M vs $6M. Pretty damn close.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I've heard NYG only offered Cruz around $7M/year.

Some people laughed at me when I said Cruz wouldn't be offered much more than Welker/Amendola. Well they averaged about $6M.

$7M vs $6M. Pretty damn close.
    well he hasn't signed that so his price could still go up

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Yeah, I think this would be a great move. Eifert is not really a guy who is seen as being in play at #32, but with teams like the Bears, Rams, Dolphins, and Falcons all satisfying their immediate TE needs, Eifert could easily slide on draft day.

The Ravens have no TEs under contract after 2013. That qualifies as a BIG need to me, much more so than people are making it out to be, and I think we'll be using less I-formation and more 2TE/H-Back sets, similar to the Patriots as you said.

Hell, the Patriots even ran 3TE sets last year, and the Ravens could do that too. Eifert plays in-line, with Dickson out wide and Pitta in the slot (or vice versa). Torrey goes deep to draw coverage, Eifert and Dickson stretch the seams, and Pitta and Rice run free over the middle... you can also run well out of that set.

Love the idea of drafting Eifert. He would be an upgrade over Q. He is bigger and faster at this point in their careers. He catches contested balls. He can work outside and in. He and Pitta would make a great combo.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    well he hasn't signed that so his price could still go up
    Or, he loses about $4M when no one signs him and he plays out the season for the $2M tender.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Love the idea of drafting Eifert. He would be an upgrade over Q. He is bigger and faster at this point in their careers. He catches contested balls. He can work outside and in. He and Pitta would make a great combo.
    Eifert would be nice, but the Ravens would still probably need to draft a WR as well.

Eifert would be nice, but the Ravens would still probably need to draft a WR as well.
    WR/TE - 8, Joseph Fauria, 6'7", 255, UCLA can be had later in the draft.

And there is DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson, maybe still available at 32.
    And there is Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech, probably at the bottom of the 2nd.

Or, he loses about $4M when no one signs him and he plays out the season for the $2M tender.
    And then signs for 10 on the free agents market next year...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,6250969.story

More on Mellette... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...aaron-mellette

I watched this guy and in short, I don't think he'll get open in the NFL much. He's not explosive, not particularly fast and most important for me, he doesn't have good feet.
    I hope we're just trying to determine his value b/c we didn't see him during the season or something like that.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,6250969.story

More on Mellette... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...aaron-mellette

I watched this guy and in short, I don't think he'll get open in the NFL much. He's not explosive, not particularly fast and most important for me, he doesn't have good feet.
    I hope we're just trying to determine his value b/c we didn't see him during the season or something like that.
    The last thing we need is another 4-7th round WR prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    And then signs for 10 on the free agents market next year...
    ...or blows an ACL. That's the risk.