Page 34 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3233343536 ... LastLast

Re: Free Agent & Other Player Moves from Around the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Its damn frustrating watching other teams improve their ball clubs.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Before each of the past two seasons lots of Ravens fans complained during the early part of free agency while our players walked and were cut and the front office didn't sign anyone. Each year we have been fine. This front office simply does not make splashy signings in the opening days of free agency -- not sure why some people are still surprised by that. Although the exodus has been particularly painful this year, Ozzie has a pretty proven track record of replacing outgoing talent with productive players. It's March 14th... there's still plenty of time to improve the club.

Blog Entries

I was pretty sure we were under the cap not over the cap. I'm pretty sure the Ravens are supposed to improve the ball club, not gut it. If people want to stick their head in the sand and pretend that losing this many players who are starters from a championship team is just like other years, then there's nothing I can say to convince them otherwise. I simply refuse to be one of those.

I am not burying my head in the sand, I am disagreeing with you.

We've lost two guys to retirement, 1 cut, 1 traded, 1 starter on D and 2 part time guys getting over paid. And a back up tackle yet to be signed any where.

Meanwhile we've singed a d-line men in a position we desperately needed to upgrade and there are plenty of guys out there at the spots we have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    That's misleading though. We haven't lost 7 free agents.
    I give up. You can't cure cultivators of negativity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    I give up. You can't cure cultivators of negativity.
    No doubt. Glass is half empty. meanwhile I see it as half full with almost all of our starting offense returning.

I guess whatever you guys gotta do to sleep better at night about losing 7 starters while watching the Denver Broncos simply add a piece to improve their offense, watching the San Francisco 49ers include a big piece to their already Super Bowl caliber team.

How many more of our starter and star players have to retire or leave for other teams before even the most ardent "trust in Ozzie" folks start to think maybe something may not be right?

If things are "not right" what is your theory on the cause?

Did Ozzie decide he is tired of being a winner and decide to become a loser.....

Maybe Matt Millen has Ozzie tied up in the closet?

Lets see we traded a slot receiver making to much money and got a draft pick back and cap savings. We let a guy who took 4 yrs to be a starter sign with Browns for 40 million? We let a proficient but hardly allpro ILB walk instead of giving him 7 mill per year. We released a guy who had a big mouth and cant cover but is excellent against the run in Pollard after upgrading our interior run defense. We are letting a CB go we don't need and safety go who is older and frankly cant tackle anymore....did i miss anything?

Ozzie will pick up guys, it may be a struggle but the team defense will get younger, faster and within a couple years will compliment the offense very well.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    That's misleading though. We haven't lost 7 free agents. And this is what the second full day of free agency? Almost every guy getting taken is getting over paid.

I agree I am ready to get going but I don't want them overpaying and costing us chances at getting good depth.

Seriously, this is the same every year and last when we lost what 6 guys and signed... Ryan Mcbeam (= to Canty) and a bunch of special teamers and backup corners....
    Well, if you want to be technical about it, we've lost 5 starters (Kruger, Ellerbe, Williams, Boldin, Pollard) and appear likely to lose 2 more (Reed, McKinnie). That brings you to 7, and of course we lost Lewis and Birk to retirement. If we cut Leach that's 10 starters gone. Let that sink in for a minute; 50% of the team gone... that's critical mass, 2002 level team upheaval.

Again, I'm not panicking, but this is reality. You're also wrong about "every guy getting taken is getting overpaid." I'm not going to go over all the good contracts so far, but there have been plenty of them. Hell, the CB market is in the cellar right now--really good #1 CBs are signing for $4-5m, HALF of what Webb got paid last year. Cliff Avril went for 2/15. Wes Welker for 2/12. Go back and look... plenty of teams out there making really smart, team-friendly signings. The Broncos in particular are killing it right now.

Eagles sign Connor Barwin. Odd move as they have Trent Cole and Brandon Graham ahead of him at OLB, with 2012 2nd round pick Vinny Curry waiting in the wings as well...

No financials yet, but if he got starter-type money (which I assume he did) I would not be surprised to see the Eagles try to trade Trent Cole, who isn't a good fit for their 3-4 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Well, if you want to be technical about it, we've lost 5 starters (Kruger, Ellerbe, Williams, Boldin, Pollard) and appear likely to lose 2 more (Reed, McKinnie). That brings you to 7, and of course we lost Lewis and Birk to retirement. If we cut Leach that's 10 starters gone. Let that sink in for a minute; 50% of the team gone... that's critical mass, 2002 level team upheaval.

Again, I'm not panicking, but this is reality. You're also wrong about "every guy getting taken is getting overpaid." I'm not going to go over all the good contracts so far, but there have been plenty of them. Hell, the CB market is in the cellar right now--really good #1 CBs are signing for $4-5m, HALF of what Webb got paid last year. Cliff Avril went for 2/15. Wes Welker for 2/12. Go back and look... plenty of teams out there making really smart, team-friendly signings. The Broncos in particular are killing it right now.
    Its a tough pill to swallow.
    Not one guy who is gone is worth what he is getting including Boldin
    Who would you have kept out of this group at what they are getting paid?
    Pollard might be the exception but he is not good in coverage and talked his way off the team
    Build it up watch it burn down thats the NFL with the cap and its just the way it is. Unless you mortgage your future.
    Glad the Ravens do not believe in that principle. I will take a down year for 5 or 6 more winning seasons and another Lombardi or two
    Nothing in Ozzies history suggests that he does not have a plan or turned into Matt Millen overnight.

I just may be as simple as Ozzie's plan is different from our agenda as fans. That's why he is the GM and damn good at it and we do our best to win our fantasy football leagues.
    12 draft picks this year. Several high level comps next year. Given Ozzies penchant and history for finding good talent in the draft that would scare the hell out of me if I were the NFL.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

The Indianapolis Colts have signed free agent defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Its a tough pill to swallow.
    Not one guy who is gone is worth what he is getting including Boldin
    Who would you have kept out of this group at what they are getting paid?
    Pollard might be the exception but he is not good in coverage and talked his way off the team
    Build it up watch it burn down thats the NFL with the cap and its just the way it is. Unless you mortgage your future.
    Glad the Ravens do not believe in that principle. I will take a down year for 5 or 6 more winning seasons and another Lombardi or two
    Nothing in Ozzies history suggests that he does not have a plan or turned into Matt Millen overnight.

I just may be as simple as Ozzie's plan is different from our agenda as fans. That's why he is the GM and damn good at it and we do our best to win our fantasy football leagues.
    12 draft picks this year. Several high level comps next year. Given Ozzies penchant and history for finding good talent in the draft that would scare the hell out of me if I were the NFL.
    I don't disagree with a single thing you've said, but the real leap of faith required of the fans right now is to accept that Ozzie can fill all of these immediate holes with nothing other than rookies and dumpster-diving for the dregs of free agency that will be left over in a month. And to do all that despite having a ton of flexibility in terms of cap space and draft picks for trades.

We all know he has a plan and it's far smarter than anything I can come up with. But we haven't brought anybody but Canty in for a visit, we haven't made real offers to ANY of the guys we're losing, and yet we have plenty of cap space to make a move or two. Again, I'm not panicking but I'm squirming a bit as guys I thought would be realistic targets sign cheap deals without even being considered.

I don't disagree with a single thing you've said, but the real leap of faith required of the fans right now is to accept that Ozzie can fill all of these immediate holes with nothing other than rookies and dumpster-diving for the dregs of free agency that will be left over in a month. And to do all that despite having a ton of flexibility in terms of cap space and draft picks for trades.

We all know he has a plan and it's far smarter than anything I can come up with. But we haven't brought anybody but Canty in for a visit, we haven't made real offers to ANY of the guys we're losing, and yet we have plenty of cap space to make a move or two. Again, I'm not panicking but I'm squirming a bit as guys I thought would be realistic targets sign cheap deals without even being considered.
    Somebody help me here, but I don't ever recall a lot of buzz with using our owners private jet to fly out prospective free agents for a tour of the castle and a crab cake dinner. These things come out of left field. Did anyone see the Canty signing coming?

according to a lot of people, ozzie does this same thing every year and it works out. i'm not a great researcher, but in recent years while i do remember us getting rid of older/soon to be overpaid players, i don't remember us losing so many without gaining something back pretty quickly. maybe we're doing it all in one fell swoop a few days from now?