Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3738394041 LastLast

Thread: OTA Tidbits

Blog Entries

Re: OTA Tidbits

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree with this position. Obviously Smith and Jacoby are 100% locks, but Thompson, Doss, and Reed are all versatile and offer ST contributions, Thompson had his moments as a KR last year, Doss showed well on a few punt returns, and Reed is the team's best gunner and can also return kicks and punts. That makes those guys all locks as well at this point.

I don't see either Streeter or Mellette offering ST value and whichever of the two of them wins the 6th WR spot is likely to be a game-day inactive most weeks. It's kind of a tough call between those two right now because quite honestly, judging from their college tape, neither one is anywhere close to ready to contribute. Mellette is probably ahead technically a little bit and I think he has a little more inherent route-running ability, but not much.

Streeter just looked so stiff and sluggish getting in and out of his breaks last preseason that I didn't see a ton of upside as an NFL WR for him. Of course, now he's had a whole year to really polish and sharpen things up, and his roster status is really going to depend on how much he was able to do with the time he had. If he made strides, he might convince the team to hang onto him. Otherwise, I would put it 55/45 or so towards Mellette.
    Im not willing to put Mellette ahead at this point for two reasons. Streeter has a year on him in the NFL and with the playbook. Mellette may be further along as a WR in general by perspective rookie years, but Streeter isnt the same as last year. hes been coached and worked for an entire season. Most every story I saw said hes leaps and bounds ahead of last year. Not saying hes a lock or Mellette couldnt beat him out, but id say hes more likely at this point at the very least.

I think what the team values as far STs could really be the deciding factor. in which case maybe Williams is that final spot. Ultimately i think we all mostly agree that the first 5 spots are pretty much locks and the 6th is the true camp battle.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Im not willing to put Mellette ahead at this point for two reasons. Streeter has a year on him in the NFL and with the playbook. Mellette may be further along as a WR in general by perspective rookie years, but Streeter isnt the same as last year. hes been coached and worked for an entire season. Most every story I saw said hes leaps and bounds ahead of last year. Not saying hes a lock or Mellette couldnt beat him out, but id say hes more likely at this point at the very least.

I think what the team values as far STs could really be the deciding factor. in which case maybe Williams is that final spot. Ultimately i think we all mostly agree that the first 5 spots are pretty much locks and the 6th is the true camp battle.
    We also read a lot of the same things about Justin Harper and Marcus Smith.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    We also read a lot of the same things about Justin Harper and Marcus Smith.
    without a doubt and they were given opportunities to succeed as well, arguably without having nearly as much upside. Time will tell.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    without a doubt and they were given opportunities to succeed as well, arguably without having nearly as much upside. Time will tell.
    I think the difference was that Marcus Smith could at least play STs well. That's the only reason he hung around on the squad as long as he did.

Blog Entries

I think the difference was that Marcus Smith could at least play STs well. That's the only reason he hung around on the squad as long as he did.
    Kind of like why we still have Laquan Williams. Hes flashed a little, but theres no question hes been here for his ST.
    -JAB

Yeah Marcus was a fantastic gunner, just couldn't play receiver. I wouldn't say it's a lock we even carry a 6th receiver unless Melette or Streeter shows they can contribute in some way on teams. Otherwise we are more likely to carry a 5th safety, 4th RB, 6th CB, or whatever else.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about Laquan, he definitely has the leg up of the 3 right now.

Blog Entries

Harper's issue was that he couldn't catch. Every time he had a chance to make his presence known in the preseason, he dropped the ball.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    Coming out I thought he had a great chance to be a bigger, better Derrick Mason. All indications coming out of camp suggest he looks incredibly explosive as an open field runner after the catch.
    His explosiveness isn't surprising. Reed was a heck of a return man prior to his ACL tear.

I think the coaching staff is going to have to look at the last WR spot as a "which of these guys offers us something we don't have?". If Streeter is just a speedy 9-route, jump ball kind of guy, don't the Ravens already have that covered with players that also offer something else?

Yeah Marcus was a fantastic gunner, just couldn't play receiver.
    Marcus Smith was the punt gunner, one of our best STs players. He showed real promise as a WR. His NFL stat line shows zero receptions: but he drew a PI penalty in the endzone once, and made a nifty catch on a carom after getting knocked down by a defender, that got called back for a holding penalty. He was also wide open down the field in the first AFCC in Pittsburgh, on the play where Joe threw the clinching pick-6 to Polamalu. If Joe had pump-faked it to Mason and then lofted it to Smith, he'd have walked into the endzone. We'd have had a 5-pt lead with ~3 mins to play.

What I'm trying to say is, Smith was much more productive than his "zero receptions" indicates. I thought he had a real chance to be a player – was excited about him coming into 2009. Then he had the preseason knee injury. That wiped out his one real chance to win a receiving job. When he came back from the knee, we had acquired Boldin, and Smith's window was closed.

He [David Reed] (and Deonte) are going to have to look significantly better than Doss though in order for them to surpass him on the depth chart. We are almost sure to give Doss the most opportunity
    Why? Didn't Ozzie say a couple weeks ago that if the season started now, Deonte would be the #2? How does that put Doss in front?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

Why? Didn't Ozzie say a couple weeks ago that if the season started now, Deonte would be the #2? How does that put Doss in front?
    They also said KO would be their LT.

As we saw last season, they will package certain players on the field. If Doss can stay healthy, he will probably be in line to be the #2/slot receiver with Thompson and Jacoby battling for playing time at the "Z" receiver spot.

In all honesty though, I think the x-factor in all of this could be Ed Dickson. He has the size and speed to be a mismatch when split out or coming off the line. That allows them to move Pitta to the slot. KJ is also a factor here as well since he is also an accomplished receiver.

Truth be told, even if Doss or Thompson or Jacoby or Reed look outstanding, they may be hard pressed to get a lot of looks when you consider that Caldwell could run a lot of dual TE sets.

Joe's top two targets will be Pitta and Torrey.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

Blog Entries

Pat Kirwan sure is skeptical of the Ravens offense right now. He just doesn't see them replacing Boldin's catches with what's currently on the roster. It's a fair criticism but let's get into August before we go there...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!