Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Draft blunders in recent years

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    ... every QB needy team passing on Russel Wilson.
    In a way that's not fair. Wilson was the 75th pick (mid-3rd round 2012), so every team passed on him at least twice. May as well say the whole league, except the Patriots, are idiots for passing up Tom Brady (6th round draft choice)... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Wasn't it Mel Kiper who said never draft a running back in the 1st round? I don't necessarily agree with that but picking one that high was just stupid IMO. The few games they did win were the ones he had low rushing yardage
    maybe if they hadn't gotten Brandon Weeden they would have won more games. Dude is hot garbage and already significantly older then Flacco. That to me, is the worst pick in recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    IIRC, Cleveland did make a strong bid to trade up for RGIII, but were outbid by Washington. There was also a fair amount of press at the time that said Jeff Fisher's past relationship/association with Mike Shanahan may have given an edge to the Deadskins during those trade talks.

As for the Tebow deal where we got three draft picks from the Broncos, well, no surprise that Josh McDaniels had a short stay in Denver.

That doesn't make any sense to me as to why a coach would give up potential value just because he's buddy/buddy with somebody. Are they even in the same coaching tree? I would also think that sending him out of the conference would count for something. How could the Browns have not beat the Redskins offer with a higher draft pick, an extra 1st rounder, and the assumption that they'll probably have higher draft picks on the future. The Rams should have taken a Browns offer of both 2012 first rounders, and the first rounder for the next year, if offered. Teams like avoiding going into future rounds as much as possible.

Heck, the #3-5 picks are numskulls for not getting into the talks. I also don't see why the Rams didn't selected RGIII and trade Bradford. It's not like he's proven himself that much yet.

Steelers' 08 draft

First Round: RB Rashard Mendenhall; average at best. maybe never recovered from Ray crunching his shoulder.
    Second Round: WR Limas Sweed; bust. out of the NFL
    Third Round: LB Bruce Davis waived after a year. Currently in the CFL
    Fourth Round: OT Tony Hills released Sept 2011
    Fifth Round: QB Dennis Dixon. four starts; released to make room for Byron Leftwich. won a SB with the Ravens (practice squad), now with the Eagles & his college coach.
    Sixth Round: LB Mike Humpal injured; released in 09
    Seventh Round: S Ryan Mundy now with the Giants
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    In a way that's not fair. Wilson was the 75th pick (mid-3rd round 2012), so every team passed on him at least twice. May as well say the whole league, except the Patriots, are idiots for passing up Tom Brady (6th round draft choice)... Bc
    I'm just saying a lot of teams would love to have Russel Wilson right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I'm just saying a lot of teams would love to have Russel Wilson right now.
    So right, one of them is the Browns who I felt messed up a golden opportunity in 2012. They traded their 1st, 4th, 5th, and 7th round choices to move up ONE spot! Then to compound the issue, later selected Weeden (#22). Without the trade,Cleveland would likely still have gotten Trent Richardson, and another highly rated player. Meanwhile, Ozzie gets Upshaw and KO in the 2nd round... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    For a little while, we were nearly a draft blunder by taking Flacco at 18. Many of us saw him as a mid-2nd pick. The story is that Tampa Bay was talking him up at 20, so we traded up to 18 to get him first. He was clumped in with 2 other QBs behind Ryan in Chad Henne and Brian Brohm. Brohm was so great, he got beat out by 7th round pick Matt Flynn in the backup job to Rodgers. Henne had his shot first with the Dolphins, then with the Jags replacing Gabbert. But again, many people thought Flacco was not a 1st round QB.

But, now, you can just hold up this picture and laugh:
    I was one of those guys by the way. I have never been so happy to be so wrong. I really wanted the Ravens to draft Chad Henne, since he came out of Michigan just like good ol' Tom Brady. Amazing that two QBs from the same school are so different, or are they? I have always said Kyle Boller would look like a HOF player in the Patriots O system, look at Matt Cassel the year Brady was injured, they nearly took the Ravens playoff spot that year. Thank God for the tie breakers.

http://www.nfl.com/standings?categor...eason=2008-REG

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

So right, one of them is the Browns who I felt messed up a golden opportunity in 2012. They traded their 1st, 4th, 5th, and 7th round choices to move up ONE spot! Then to compound the issue, later selected Weeden (#22). Without the trade,Cleveland would likely still have gotten Trent Richardson, and another highly rated player. Meanwhile, Ozzie gets Upshaw and KO in the 2nd round... Bc
    I place clevelands chances at getting Richardson without trade up only very slighty over 0%. TB would have taken him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I place clevelands chances at getting Richardson without trade up only very slighty over 0%. TB would have taken him.
    I believe you're right, but my point was that even when the Browns have two 1st round choices, they tend to blow the picks. Now without going into Fantasy Land, they could have picked Ryan Tannehill (QB) and Doug Martin (RB) at their original pick numbers, and still had those 4th, 5th, and 7th rounders to deepen their roster with... Bc

I believe you're right, but my point was that even when the Browns have two 1st round choices, they tend to blow the picks. Now without going into Fantasy Land, they could have picked Ryan Tannehill (QB) and Doug Martin (RB) at their original pick numbers, and still had those 4th, 5th, and 7th rounders to deepen their roster with... Bc
    and that I agree with, and obviously they would have been a better team for doing so.

I jsut can't get over taking a 28 year old QB in the first round.. pure lunacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    That doesn't make any sense to me as to why a coach would give up potential value just because he's buddy/buddy with somebody. Are they even in the same coaching tree? I would also think that sending him out of the conference would count for something. How could the Browns have not beat the Redskins offer with a higher draft pick, an extra 1st rounder, and the assumption that they'll probably have higher draft picks on the future. The Rams should have taken a Browns offer of both 2012 first rounders, and the first rounder for the next year, if offered. Teams like avoiding going into future rounds as much as possible.

Heck, the #3-5 picks are numskulls for not getting into the talks. I also don't see why the Rams didn't selected RGIII and trade Bradford. It's not like he's proven himself that much yet.
    Fisher and Shanahan did coach together in San Francisco with the Niners in 1992 and 1993 under head coach George Seifert. Now, did the press exaggerate this relationship and its role during trade talks last year? Quite likely, particularly given the sour-grapes comments from Mike Holmgren in the wake of the deal. Still, who knows exactly what the parties in question were saying and thinking? Maybe Cleveland simply wasn't willing to give up enough in the end. My point is they did at least make the effort.

As to why the Rams didn't just draft RGIII themselves to replace Bradford, let's be realistic. Despite his injury issues, 2012 was way too early for St. Louis to cut bait on Bradford and that massive rookie contract that has $50 million in guaranteed money alone. And they had no reason to think he couldn't still live up to his potential. One year's worth of hindsight later, they may be wishing they'd acted differently.
    Last edited by trailhiker85; 04-24-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Sorry Rwt, I did edit your post a little bit. My point is that the Browns have been making dumb draft moves since they came back into the league. Tim Couch, Courtney Brown, Gerald Warren, William Green, Jeff Faine, Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards, skipping on Ngata for an exrta 6th round choice, Brady Quinn, and (the almost 30 year old) Brandon Weeden. AND those are only the 1st rounders... Bc
    We can make it even simpler. The biggest mistake is that the Browns continue to participate in the draft.