Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

Sometimes, big name players really don't play well together. If they check their egos and listen to the coach, maybe. The year the skins had 3 all-pro LBs did nothing for them. It will be nice to see seattle and 9ers battle though,should be good games. Which QB gets knocked out first?

Blog Entries

We also don't know what the other offers really were. Avril for example has attitude issues and was coming off a mediocre season. The Lions didn't even make him an offer to return. It could be that there really wasn't a better deal out there than what he got from the Seahawks.

If a player wants to take less because he thinks he can win whats the deal? Bosch lebron and wade all done it, worked for them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Brady took a massive discount; does that count as collusion too?

Strange.
    lol no he didn't... he got a lot of money as a bonus and his salary was guaranteed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    lol no he didn't... he got a lot of money as a bonus and his salary was guaranteed.
    I want that discount that Brady took. Brady ended up with the ultimate retirement plan. A 100% guaranteed contract is every players dream.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I want that discount that Brady took. Brady ended up with the ultimate retirement plan. A 100% guaranteed contract is every players dream.
    :word

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Only illegal collusion if Carroll is paying them money under the table.
    Yeah because Carroll is clean as a whistle. I know I know, no proof. But he is a dirty character.

All I'm saying is I've seen Bennett ranked very high on Free Agent lists and he signs a 1 year deal for $5M? That just seems unbelievable to me. Most guys relish their first chance at free agency. And he settles for a 1 year deal?

The only time you see one year deals are usually "prove it" deals for players coming off injury. Not 27 year old prime pass rushers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Yeah because Carroll is clean as a whistle. I know I know, no proof. But he is a dirty character.

All I'm saying is I've seen Bennett ranked very high on Free Agent lists and he signs a 1 year deal for $5M? That just seems unbelievable to me. Most guys relish their first chance at free agency. And he settles for a 1 year deal?

The only time you see one year deals are usually "prove it" deals for players coming off injury. Not 27 year old prime pass rushers.
    It's not that Carroll is clean. It's that it would be pretty tough to get away with. The NFL has been very aggressive in checking these things ever since the 49ers embarrassed them. Carmen Policy was forced out the NFL because of off the books deals. As we saw with the Redskins cap issues last year the other owners aren't going to put up with any nonsense. It would be pretty tough to pull off with multiple players.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's not that Carroll is clean. It's that it would be pretty tough to get away with. The NFL has been very aggressive in checking these things ever since the 49ers embarrassed them. Carmen Policy was forced out the NFL because of off the books deals. As we saw with the Redskins cap issues last year the other owners aren't going to put up with any nonsense. It would be pretty tough to pull off with multiple players.
    I wouldn't characterize the NFL's disciplining of Policy as aggressive at all. He got a $400K fine and no suspension. He continued as Cleveland Browns President for another 4 years, before stepping down in '04.

The NFL doesn't seem to really want to come down hard on organized, franchise-sponsored cheating for fear of tarnishing the shield. Spygate was basically swept under the rug - to the point of actually destroying the evidence.

If Carroll's dirty, my guess is the NFL would just as soon that no one ever found out. But a single, undervalued contract - especially during a FA period when the pass-rushers as a whole haven't been getting the big money everyone predicted, doesn't even qualify a smoke, much less a fire.

I don't understand the point of this thread.

I what way could this possibly be colluding?

Did I see Avril or Bennett "Forced" to take those deals? Are you actually suggesting that a coach can "force" a grown as man to take any deal at all? When the money is on TOP of the table instead of under?

I don't understand this thread at all...in no way shape or form do I see a coach able to do anything to force a professional athlete to sign with his team.

I'm all ears for specific theoretical examples though...this should be good.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I wouldn't characterize the NFL's disciplining of Policy as aggressive at all. He got a $400K fine and no suspension. He continued as Cleveland Browns President for another 4 years, before stepping down in '04.

The NFL doesn't seem to really want to come down hard on organized, franchise-sponsored cheating for fear of tarnishing the shield. Spygate was basically swept under the rug - to the point of actually destroying the evidence.

If Carroll's dirty, my guess is the NFL would just as soon that no one ever found out. But a single, undervalued contract - especially during a FA period when the pass-rushers as a whole haven't been getting the big money everyone predicted, doesn't even qualify a smoke, much less a fire.
    Yes it seems the FA market overall is quite depressed this year in terms of contract value and length.

But still, it isn't often you see 2 of the top FA pass rushers sign for a combined $20M.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't understand the point of this thread.

I what way could this possibly be colluding?

Did I see Avril or Bennett "Forced" to take those deals? Are you actually suggesting that a coach can "force" a grown as man to take any deal at all? When the money is on TOP of the table instead of under?

I don't understand this thread at all...in no way shape or form do I see a coach able to do anything to force a professional athlete to sign with his team.

I'm all ears for specific theoretical examples though...this should be good.
    The players band together and agree to take lower value contracts to win a championship. That is all I was implying.

Again, it is not often you see 2 of the top FA pass rushers sign for $20M total.

Kruger alone got $20M in guarantees.