Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Re: "The Greatest NFL Players of All Time" - 3 of 22 from Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Personally, I think Bert Jones was a better qb.
    I somewhat agree. The Ruston Rifle could hurl the long ball with pinpoint accuracy. Unlike Peyton Manning, Bert did not pad stats with short easy stuff. Also, Bert's receivers were pedestrian: Glenn Doughty and TE Ray Chester. Carr ran like a rabbit, but had no moves.

Neither of Archie's sons were equal to their old man in basic passing capability. I had the great experience of watching Archie for three years in the Superdome. In an era of many great QBs - Stabler, Staubach, Bradshaw, Griese, Tarkenton, Bert Jones -- Archie was among the best; unfortunately, he played for a drug-infested team which never contended, so he was overlooked by the media.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I somewhat agree. The Ruston Rifle could hurl the long ball with pinpoint accuracy. Unlike Peyton Manning, Bert did not pad stats with short easy stuff. Also, Bert's receivers were pedestrian: Glenn Doughty and TE Ray Chester. Carr ran like a rabbit, but had no moves.

Neither of Archie's sons were equal to their old man in basic passing capability. I had the great experience of watching Archie for three years in the Superdome. In an era of many great QBs - Stabler, Staubach, Bradshaw, Griese, Tarkenton, Bert Jones -- Archie was among the best; unfortunately, he played for a drug-infested team which never contended, so he was overlooked by the media.
    Bellicheat was with the Colts when Bert played and said he had the strongest arm he ever saw. As for his first job, he was the copy boy making copies on xerox machine. He said the players didn't know what a xerox machine was.

Marchibroda ruined him bringing him back too early from a shoulder injury. They recently showed it on ESPN. He was in pain just warming up before the game. Like Unitas, he took quite a hit on the arm.

Damn shame he wasn't on a team like Montana's or John's.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-12-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I'm not arguing Unitas and his greatness. I just watched Joe Montana from a kid like you watch Unitas. Dude was chill, a surgeon, never got rattled and usually the way to beat him was knock him out of the game. You and I can argue 1a and 1b till the cows come home, but one thing we can agree on.

Manning isn't top 5. Great regular season and outstanding record when feasting on the AFC South with their shitty teams most of his career. Playoffs show Manning's weakness. He's a fantasy player who had rules in place to assist him that most of the great QB's besides Unitas and Montana - Moon, Kelly, Marino, Elway never had the benefit of.
    I say that if Peyton Manning, who is an expert at taking a team down the field in a matter of seconds, WON LAST YEAR against Seattle, nearly everyone would be changing his tune.
    Montana is the best from head to toe, but Unitas was my 2nd, until Manning transformed Denver almost on his own. Sure, he has not won multiple Super Bowls, but I will always take Manning over Brady; Otto Graham's winning and play cannot be surpassed by Brady.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baltravens View Post
    I say that if Peyton Manning, who is an expert at taking a team down the field in a matter of seconds, WON LAST YEAR against Seattle, nearly everyone would be changing his tune.
    Montana is the best from head to toe, but Unitas was my 2nd, until Manning transformed Denver almost on his own. Sure, he has not won multiple Super Bowls, but I will always take Manning over Brady; Otto Graham's winning and play cannot be surpassed by Brady.
    No they wouldn't, that is a blanket statement that doesn't wash his previous failures away. Is he top 10 all time, likely. Top 5, no. Don't forget, that team made the playoffs with Tebow two years before Manning.

And if it is clutch, I take Brady over Manning. Sorry, when the pressure is at its highest, Manning buckles like a belt, Brady rarely folds.

Blog Entries

No they wouldn't, that is a blanket statement that doesn't wash his previous failures away. Is he top 10 all time, likely. Top 5, no. Don't forget, that team made the playoffs with Tebow two years before Manning.

And if it is clutch, I take Brady over Manning. Sorry, when the pressure is at its highest, Manning buckles like a belt, Brady rarely folds.
    Brady has Kevlar or something.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Quote Originally Posted by Baltravens View Post
    Don't agree with the notion that Peyton "transformed Denver almost on his own." Denver got to the second round of the playoffs the previous season to Peyton's arrival... with freaking Tim Tebow at quarterback. Denver was a stacked team... it is a huge reason why Peyton chose them.

No they wouldn't, that is a blanket statement that doesn't wash his previous failures away.
    No, it is a quilt statement making my case.lol
    Honestly, I could even put Unitas at #2! Manning's play unquestionably puts him in the top 5; however, I have no problem putting Johnny Unitas one slot ahead of him.