Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Props to Dean Pees

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    Those who don't want to blame Pees need to remember their Ravens history. Not too long ago we had a guy named Greg Mattison who was a lot like Pees. Vanilla, conservative. Remember that year, how our sacks plummeted, and the 3 man rush was our achilles heel? Pagano takes over, relatively the same team, and works wonders. A lot of players that offseason talked about going back to playing "Ravens football," a not so subtle jab at Mattison's conservative defense. Now here we are, Pagano has left, Pees takes over, 3 man rush is back. We are the only team in the league that didn't go after Vick. We are the only team in the league that doesn't try to pressure a rookie QB in a pressure situation (Weeden in the 1st Browns game at home). It's pathetic. Like Mattison, Pees needs to go.
    The criticism of Mattison then was idiotic, and it's not made better by age. Mattison had to contend with a weak secondary, and if we'd blitzed like the idiocracy of Baltimore fandom wanted, we would have given up 50+ points per game. We had Frank Freakin' Walker and Fabian Freakin' Washington behind the pass rush. We still ended up with top 10 defenses.

While we thought the secondary was going to be a strength coming into the season, it hasn't been. Losing Webb has significantly weakened it. I don't know why we don't press more with Williams and Smith, but that might be because the coaches are seeing something in practice that we, the fans, don't. I rather suspect it is.

Yesterday a two-man rush got to Palmer in the red zone. Last year, that hated three-man rush created a sack and a hurry in the red zone against the Bengals that sealed the game. Blitzing creates weaknesses in the secondary. You can't blitz every down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    The criticism of Mattison then was idiotic, and it's not made better by age. Mattison had to contend with a weak secondary, and if we'd blitzed like the idiocracy of Baltimore fandom wanted, we would have given up 50+ points per game. We had Frank Freakin' Walker and Fabian Freakin' Washington behind the pass rush. We still ended up with top 10 defenses.

While we thought the secondary was going to be a strength coming into the season, it hasn't been. Losing Webb has significantly weakened it. I don't know why we don't press more with Williams and Smith, but that might be because the coaches are seeing something in practice that we, the fans, don't. I rather suspect it is.

Yesterday a two-man rush got to Palmer in the red zone. Last year, that hated three-man rush created a sack and a hurry in the red zone against the Bengals that sealed the game. Blitzing creates weaknesses in the secondary. You can't blitz every down.
    The only reason we were a top 10 defense that year was because our rush defense was so good, but our pass defense was ranked 20th or something like that.

....one more time.
    Lack of a pass rush is at the heart of the Ravens defensive woes. It may be a tired cliche, but it really DOES all begin up front.
    A defensive backfield of Night Train Lane, Prime Time, Ed Reed and Lester Hayes gets fried without pressure on the QB.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The only reason we were a top 10 defense that year was because our rush defense was so good, but our pass defense was ranked 20th or something like that.
    Sure. Would you rather run into Lewis and Ngata, or pass against Walker and Washington?

It's not a hard call to make.

Just recently posted the question on N.E. ESPN forum whether personnel or coaching philosophy led to Pees' demise with the Patriots. The response was nearly unanimous- Pees' defenses were " soft " with predictable blitz packages with little attention paid to the fundamentals. Sound familiar? Another Harbaugh Family Plan hire.

Re: Dean Pees -- Props or Blame?

You do realize that most HC's hire guys they've coached with before or have some connection to, right?

And, what does Harbaugh's family have to do with it?
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    You do realize that most HC's hire guys they've coached with before or have some connection to, right?

And, what does Harbaugh's family have to do with it?
    Because a lot of johns hires have been due to family history and not NFL history.

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    Because a lot of johns hires have been due to family history and not NFL history.
    OK, and what does that have to do with Pees (who also does have a NFL history)?
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 11-12-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    OK, and what does that have to do with Pees (who does have a NFL history)?
    Lol, forget it, guys like "landspeed" are too convinced that Harbaugh is a terrible coach and makes the worse decisions in the league (while forgetting the record he's helped us get to while being here of course, but that doesn't count!). There is no winning with them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rastaman831226 View Post
    Just recently posted the question on N.E. ESPN forum whether personnel or coaching philosophy led to Pees' demise with the Patriots. The response was nearly unanimous- Pees' defenses were " soft " with predictable blitz packages with little attention paid to the fundamentals. Sound familiar? Another Harbaugh Family Plan hire.
    I don't know if Pees is a Hardbaugh connection, and I don't follow any news about the Patriots at all so never heard of the guy before, but the Pat's fans I know were all happy as hell when the Raven's hired him as their DC for all of the reasons listed above.

As we learned from the contrast with Mattison and Pagano, all blitzes aren't created equal, as my brother said, our 83 year old mother can see the Raven's blitze's coming when she's shopping at Walmart in the food isle!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    I don't know if Pees is a Hardbaugh connection, and I don't follow any news about the Patriots at all so never heard of the guy before, but the Pat's fans I know were all happy as hell when the Raven's hired him as their DC for all of the reasons listed above.

As we learned from the contrast with Mattison and Pagano, all blitzes aren't created equal, as my brother said, our 83 year old mother can see the Raven's blitze's coming when she's shopping at Walmart in the food isle!
    I've not even seen Pees dial up one stunt blitz all year, not one.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I've not even seen Pees dial up one stunt blitz all year, not one.
    And I think this is part of what we are seeing on both sides.
    It is about scheme. It is about play design on both sides of the ball.
    Rex believed that when you bring pressure, you first disguise what you are doing, so the offensive line calls the wrong blocking assignments...then you overload a specific area with more rushers than blockers, bring 4 against 3 blockers.
    For an offensive line, either an offside linemen wheels and runs over to the opposite side to help block in less than 3 seconds or the QB has to hurry the throw.
    And this helps on the back end by making QBs throw before their receivers are even aware the ball is already headed their way or the throw is off the mark, leading to many incompletes and some turnovers.
    Do the most with what you have. Create mismatches, either with talent or by sheer numbers.
    And stunts should be included in there.
    Teams are doing it against us and it is working.
    LEARN and ADAPT!

And least someone noticed since our pressure isn't getting there enough, lets jump up and bat some balls away.
    As much as Pees is bothering me too, he is trying to adapt.
    He has the defense doing more things and he moved upstairs to see what is ACTUALLY happening with his own eyes.
    MAYBE he is learning. The time to really perform/adapt is coming up on Sunday.