Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: Doss to the Jags

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    He was a late 4th Rd pick!! Honestly if anyone ever had #1 receiver hopes for this guy then I don't know what to say. I don't know if you can blame his 'failures' on his work ethic because no one was there with him while he trained or practiced but you can blame it on his lack of elite talent, since he was a 4th Rd pick and they rarely become #1 receivers.
    Doss openly admitted after being cut and re-signed that he didn't take it seriously enough.

That doesn't sound like someone with excellent work ethic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Doss openly admitted after being cut and re-signed that he didn't take it seriously enough.

That doesn't sound like someone with excellent work ethic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He could've just been taking responsibility for play and knew he needed to work harder, but people having been calling him lazy and his comment doesn't infer that. People like to blame player failure on not working hard enough or not being coached well but sometimes they just aren't good enough.
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

Wish him well, but he had a chance(actually 2) and didn't make the grade. Next man up and I hope he a lot better then Doss.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    He was a late 4th Rd pick!! Honestly if anyone ever had #1 receiver hopes for this guy then I don't know what to say. I don't know if you can blame his 'failures' on his work ethic because no one was there with him while he trained or practiced but you can blame it on his lack of elite talent, since he was a 4th Rd pick and they rarely become #1 receivers.
    I was pointing out why the hate on him. I wasn't saying me personally. I never thought anything of him.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Cheer up - the Ravens may possibly still re-sign "Stone Hands" Dickson.
    Damnit - you appear to be prophetic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flacco Machado View Post
    Not saying it was Joe's final say on the Doss pick, by any means. I'm not naive enough to think that. Just questioning Joe's assessment of what he evaluated in Doss, as opposed to other potential candidates. He said he wanted Doss. It'd be interesting to know who the other WR's were on that list. Anyone have a rundown of WR's that were drafted that year?

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk
    I believe the notion was always someone they thought would be available with the 4th round so I wont go higher than 3rd.

3 78 St. Louis Rams Austin Pettis
    3 79 Washington Redskins Leonard Hankerson
    3 82 San Diego Chargers Vincent Brown
    3 83 New York Giants Jerrel Jernigan
    4 107 Seattle Seahawks Kris Durham
    4 111 Miami Dolphins Edmond Gates
    4 112 St. Louis Rams Greg Salas
    4 114 Jacksonville Jaguars Cecil Shorts
    4 123 Baltimore Ravens Tandon Doss
    5 132 Carolina Panthers Kealoha Pilares
    5 148 Oakland Raiders Denarius Moore
    5 153 New York Jets Jeremy Kerley
    5 155 Washington Redskins Niles Paul
    6 167 Cincinnati Bengals Ryan Whalen
    6 176 Dallas Cowboys Dwayne Harris
    6 178 Washington Redskins Aldrick Robinson
    6 182 San Francisco 49ers Ronald Johnson
    7 227 New York Jets Scotty McKnight
    7* 236 Minnesota Vikings Stephen Burton
    7* 241 Oakland Raiders David Ausberry
    7^ 249 Arizona Cardinals DeMarco Sampson

considering who was available around that 4th pick i think he did a very good job. Moore is the only one that Id say was a better option still available and shorts was the only other one around the 4th round id say was clearly better than Doss. Again, the film and what anaylsts thought of Doss coming out was more of a 2nd round grade so even thats in hindsight. Im sure his work ethic didnt show up on tape and had little to do with Flacco picking him but had everything to do with him not catching on.

Ill be interested to see if he gets playing time, which he didnt really get here, on a bad team like the jags. I think its completely plausible that Doss would have similar stats as Shorts or Moore had he gone to a WR hungry team and started right away. just my opinion but getting PT early may have kept him more focused instead of waiting and feeling he didnt need to perform to stay on. Not that im defending that thought process.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I believe the notion was always someone they thought would be available with the 4th round so I wont go higher than 3rd.

3 78 St. Louis Rams Austin Pettis
    3 79 Washington Redskins Leonard Hankerson
    3 82 San Diego Chargers Vincent Brown
    3 83 New York Giants Jerrel Jernigan
    4 107 Seattle Seahawks Kris Durham
    4 111 Miami Dolphins Edmond Gates
    4 112 St. Louis Rams Greg Salas
    4 114 Jacksonville Jaguars Cecil Shorts
    4 123 Baltimore Ravens Tandon Doss
    5 132 Carolina Panthers Kealoha Pilares
    5 148 Oakland Raiders Denarius Moore
    5 153 New York Jets Jeremy Kerley
    5 155 Washington Redskins Niles Paul
    6 167 Cincinnati Bengals Ryan Whalen
    6 176 Dallas Cowboys Dwayne Harris
    6 178 Washington Redskins Aldrick Robinson
    6 182 San Francisco 49ers Ronald Johnson
    7 227 New York Jets Scotty McKnight
    7* 236 Minnesota Vikings Stephen Burton
    7* 241 Oakland Raiders David Ausberry
    7^ 249 Arizona Cardinals DeMarco Sampson

considering who was available around that 4th pick i think he did a very good job. Moore is the only one that Id say was a better option still available and shorts was the only other one around the 4th round id say was clearly better than Doss. Again, the film and what anaylsts thought of Doss coming out was more of a 2nd round grade so even thats in hindsight. Im sure his work ethic didnt show up on tape and had little to do with Flacco picking him but had everything to do with him not catching on.

Ill be interested to see if he gets playing time, which he didnt really get here, on a bad team like the jags. I think its completely plausible that Doss would have similar stats as Shorts or Moore had he gone to a WR hungry team and started right away. just my opinion but getting PT early may have kept him more focused instead of waiting and feeling he didnt need to perform to stay on. Not that im defending that thought process.
    That's a pretty craptastic list.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

They whiffed on the pick. Point blank. Doss has accomplished less than basically half the guys listed there Jab. And on a desperate WR needy team he got cut last year.

I wish him nothing but the best, but Doss was a dime a dozen guy...an ok returner, and a very unreliable WR.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That's a pretty craptastic list.
    from mid 3rd on it was slim pickens. IMO he was a far greater prospect than any of the guys around him. Didnt work out that way, but coming out I just dont see the argument that he wasnt a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    They whiffed on the pick. Point blank. Doss has accomplished less than basically half the guys listed there Jab. And on a desperate WR needy team he got cut last year.

I wish him nothing but the best, but Doss was a dime a dozen guy...an ok returner, and a very unreliable WR.
    half the guys? id say hes accomplished more than 90% of them, which isnt saying much about whos on that list. Hes also not an OK returner, hes an exceptional returner (hes better than Jacoby statistically, cant really get more comparable than the exact same team), unless jacoby isnt that good? Thats why he was actually in high demand (5 teams interested).

He was cut and ended up being a starter for a short while on our team despite having other guys he was cut for, but i meant starting right away as a rookie which is hypothetical clearly. the guys 24 and im not sure hes even had a complete seasons worth of games yet vs guys like shorts and moore who basically were thrown in because they had literally nobody else to throw to. I think we switch Moore for Doss were saying the same things about him and comparing him to a better player in Doss. at least thats what i think could have happened.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    half the guys? id say hes accomplished more than 90% of them, which isnt saying much about whos on that list. Hes also not an OK returner, hes an exceptional returner (hes better than Jacoby statistically, cant really get more comparable than the exact same team), unless jacoby isnt that good? Thats why he was actually in high demand (5 teams interested).

He was cut and ended up being a starter for a short while on our team despite having other guys he was cut for, but i meant starting right away as a rookie which is hypothetical clearly. the guys 24 and im not sure hes even had a complete seasons worth of games yet vs guys like shorts and moore who basically were thrown in because they had literally nobody else to throw to. I think we switch Moore for Doss were saying the same things about him and comparing him to a better player in Doss. at least thats what i think could have happened.
    The guy has less career receptions than half the list, he did have some good returns this past season, but I definitely wouldn't say he's exceptional...he did it for like 4 or 5 games...you'd think BJ Sams or Yamon Figurs were exceptional if you based their abilities off such a small sample. Got to do more than that for me to say you are exceptional. Devin Hester is exceptional. Donte Hall is exceptional.

He's a mediocre player who blew his chances when he had a GREAT opportunity here, doesn't have a single great skill or quality about him other than he is a heck of a citizen. He doesn't make contested grabs, he runs wrong routes, he doens't get separation, and he doesn't have great speed. I also think it's laughable to compare him to Moore...Moore has at least one talent and that's a lot of speed...which would have fit in here better considering how much we throw deep. And making excuses as if those other guys only succeeded and got passes because there was nobody else to throw to...we all but handed that 2nd/3rd WR spot to him on a silver platter this past season and he threw up all over himself...there was nobody blocking him this year and he got cut.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

small sample size for sure but I think a career 15YPR with 27 attempts is enough to say hes better than "ok". Jones for the record averages 33 a season. So in one seasons worth he averaged 5 yards more than Jones has for his career or 3 yds more than he ever has in a single season. Exceptional is probably a bit of an exaggeration but I think "ok" is a bit harsh. Maybe we can agree on good.
    -JAB