View Poll Results: Who will you blame if the offense still struggles?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim Caldwell

1 3.03%
  • Joe Flacco

17 51.52%
  • John Harbaugh

1 3.03%
  • Ozzie Newsome

10 30.30%
  • The O-Line

4 12.12%
Page 1 of 15 123 ... LastLast

What If It Wasn't Cam?

I am getting ready to duck as I ask this question. Clearly just about everyone on this board -- including myself -- is pretty well convinced that Cam was holding this offense back, and now that he is gone, this offense will be among the top offenses in the NFL. In other words, what we saw under Caldwell for the last few games plus the playoffs is what we can expect to see this year. But what if we are wrong?

A few things to remember... The offense under Cam wasn't inept. They regularly put up 30 points. At times they looked like world beaters. What was maddening was that at other times they looked completely lost -- for halves, for entire games even, and often against sub-par opponents. They would go through stretches where three-play drives were derailed by errant throws, dropped passes, missed blocks, and untimely penalties. And even under Caldwell, the same disappearances occurred (e.g. the first half of the AFCC, the second half of the SB, and of course the entire Denver regular season game.)

So if we see the same thing, e.g. we get two first downs in the entire first half of the Browns game, who gets the blame then?
    "Chin up, chest out."

Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

I think you could have added WR's to an option.

Easy one: Ozzie, for giving away our best WR, merely to save $2 million
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Easy one: Ozzie, for giving away our best WR, merely to save $2 million
    It was only 2?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    I think you could have added WR's to an option.
    True, but to me if the WR's are a problem, then that is an indictment of Ozzie. You can't blame a duck for being a duck. If Deonte Thompson sucks, if Tommy Streeter sucks, etc -- well, that's in Ozzie's lap.

On the other hand, if established pros like Joe Flacco and most of the guys on the o-line don't get it done, then that's more on them.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    It was only 2?
    The difference between 4 & 6. Supposedly, the Ravens were willing to pay Boldin $4M, but not $6M, so yeah...a $2M differential.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    It was only 2?
    We saved $6M in the end, but we attempted to keep him for only $2M less.

I guess it depends on how you look at it or phrase it, in terms of what happened.

Door #6: It was Cam -- plain and simple. But what happens beyond that is everyone's responsibility. Everyone has a part to play, and everyone needs to do his job in order for the offense to work, from the O-line coach to the field general to the front office. That's why it's a team sport. In Cam's case, he overshadowed so many bases it's fair to pin the blame primarily on him. Now that he's gone, it's a different story.

If it wasn't Cam, that means our QB turned into Superman, and we have nothing to worry about except kryptonite.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

The problem with this poll is that it automatically assumes that someone or some people will automatically be at fault. The reality is that there are different scenarios under which any one of those people or groups could be at fault. Caldwell could be pure hype. Flacco could go back to being inconsistent. Harbaugh may have put too much faith into Caldwell. Ozzie might not have the right personnel. The Offensive Line might perform horribly. Then there are other scenarios not mentioned such as the wide receivers as someone mentioned and Pitta's injury. Injuries could also change the dynamic as well.

I would probably nick Ozzie with this one. Nothing to do with the Boldin deal, but we've never seemed to get WRs to develop. He's the guy who hires the position coaches and brings in the players.

That being said, with stories of opposing defenses saying in not too many words that they knew what play was coming, that I think a lot of those days of non adjustments are behind us. We have a coach in Caldwell that will probably schemes to the players and not the other way around.

Very interesting, but requires some assumptions. If the O underperforms badly you can say Oz did not provide the right players (and I think you'd be wrong).

More important to isolate the unit that underperforms (and Flacco is the QB "unit" in this case). If the O line is sub-par do you blame Moeller? The coach we got from the Eagles? Gino? If the RBs are no good do you blame them or their coach or Oz? Etc.

My point: I usually look up to coaching/management for the cause rather than focusing on the symptom (the individual players).