Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Three years from now who will be your favorite Raven from this draft class?

Matt Elam.

Big time play maker. Big hitter. Speedy. He can cover, he can blitz, and he can tackle. I think he is going to be a good one.

I actually really like this draft more and more.
    Elam - Day 1 starter at SS.
    Brown - Day 1 starter at ILB (Probably Will with Rolando and/or Bynes at Mike)
    Williams - Rotational player. Will be a contributor in year 1. Could start at NT if Cody blows again and they keep Ngata at DT.
    Simon - Rotational player. Excellent depth at Sam backer behind Upshaw. Has starter potential. He's a lot better of a pass rusher than people give him credit for.
    Jusczczyk - Contributor in year 1 as a blocker/H-Back. Will probably split time with Leach and Dickson in certain sets.
    Ricky Wagner - Potential contributor in year 1 as a reserve tackle/guard. Has potential to be a starter at RT or G.
    Lewis-Moore - If he weren't hurt and going on IR, he probably would be a rotational contributor this year much like Art Jones was his first season. This guy definitely has the potential to be a starting-caliber 5-tech DT. Maybe as early as next year.
    Jensen - depth center/guard.
    Mellete - Ideal size/speed for an NFL receiver. Nice hands, but is a small school player. Jury is still out on him.
    Anthony - depth corner who could contribute on STs right away.

So, by my count, that is 5 guys who will either start or being a major contributor this year. 1 more who will see some playing time like Gino did last year on the OL. 1 other guy going on IR who probably would be a rotational DT on running downs. 1 guy who will contribute on STs right away and another WR with a ton of upside.

THAT is a good yield from a draft. The Ravens legitimately drafted 7 players who could all be starters within a year or two.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Toss up between Brown and Elam. I hope they turn out to be the new Ed and Ray. It's an awful lot the ask, but I hope they're very successful for this team.

For me this draft is about Physicality and Versatility.

On Defense - Favorite Player - Brandon Williams. Having a force like Williams in the middle was the key to the 2000 Defense (Goose). Stick Ngata next to him (sam adams) - 2 killer pass rushers in Doom and Suggs and the rest of the D takes care of itself. You just need speed behind (arthur brown anyone?).

On Offense - I love the Juszczyk pickup. I am hoping to see a ton of single TE sets along with Juice and Rice. Jones and Torrey stretch the field, Pitta works the middle. You can also U run it behind Juice, run it with Juice spread wide, or dump it to Rice. So many options.

I think our D is gonna be something special. If we can have our O-line somewhat functional - Lookout!

If I'm playing Scrabble, it's Kyle Jusczczyk.

If I am going for the Lotto, it's the UDFA WR from Towson.

If I am realistic, it's probably Brandon Williams. I liked that guy before the draft.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Art View Post
    +1
    But we got Elam, the guy you and I wanted. He'd work too

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I hadn't seen much about Arthur Brown until pretty close to the draft, but from what I've seen I really like him. He seems like he has great instincts and is very quick to the ball. My favorite tape I've seen of him is definitely the tape against Baylor and RG3, but it all looks really good and I think he could be my favorite from this draft class in 3 years.

However, I tend to like secondary players the most so Elam will probably be my favorite from this draft class. I really like that he's a small guy that hits big and is a guy that's been through a lot. I love the way he flies all over the field. He's definitely gonna be a special player. He definitely reminds me more of a guy like Polamalu than Pollard, which is a positive since Polamalu is a bigger playmaker.

Can someone give a run down on Aaron Mellette? I watched his tape against UNC and was terrible.

Maybe Im missing out on something?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Raven View Post
    Can someone give a run down on Aaron Mellette? I watched his tape against UNC and was terrible.

Don't know what you were expecting. He played at Elon. Of course UNC smacked him and Elon around.

He won't be a factor for at least a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    ...by my count, that is 5 guys who will either start or being a major contributor this year.... The Ravens legitimately drafted 7 players who could all be starters within a year or two.
    More impressive when you factor in that ALL seven picks from last year are still with the team and four of them saw significant playing time in the SuperBowl (Upshaw, Osemele, Pierce, and Tyson) Tyson was the first seventh round pick EVER to stick with the team. You also have to add UDFA Justin Tucker as a contributor, I'd say. Not to mention Deonte Thompson, who may be the #2 WR when all is said and done this year and Bobby Rainey.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    More impressive when you factor in that ALL seven picks from last year are still with the team and four of them saw significant playing time in the SuperBowl (Upshaw, Osemele, Pierce, and Tyson) Tyson was the first seventh round pick EVER to stick with the team. You also have to add UDFA Justin Tucker as a contributor, I'd say. Not to mention Deonte Thompson, who may be the #2 WR when all is said and done this year and Bobby Rainey.
    :word

And Tyson, not only contributed, but he was a good player! Interesting that he was an afterthought while at Georgia. I don't know that I'd want him starting an entire season at DT, but he could.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Raven View Post

I'm not a fan either, but he's a good pick for the 7th round.

I don't think he ever amounts to anything though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Not to be contrary, Shas, but while Tyson made a contribution, he wasn't the first 7 to stick:

Ralph Staten
    Mike Smith
    Anthony Allen
    Anthony Poindexter

all played some for the Ravens, with Staten playing a fair number of snaps at safety.