Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

Quote Originally Posted by drunkmormon View Post
    Because of the freedom of speech... and you have the right to think that a person who uses word X is a Y.
    Ah freedom of speech.

You're right, freedom of speech dictates that none of us have any right to prevent anyone else from calling something retarded.

But it cuts both ways, so WE can say that anyone who insists on using retarded as a pejorative is an asshole. (Note, Flacco is not an asshole because he recognized his gaffe and immediately retracted it. It's the folks who seem hell bent on insisting that he shouldn't have had to who I'm talking about here.)

Again, NO ONE is FORCING ANYONE to be PC. There are no word police, thought police, or idea police. No one who calls things they don't like retarded is going to be dragged into the street and shot.

You are free to call anything you want retarded. But you are not free from being called out for that.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Yeah, no, see the fun thing about being an individual is that I get to decide what I want to "get the fuck over." Since this isn't one of those things and aggressive language doesn't bother me, you need to bark up a different tree.

You clearly don't get the point, and that is sad. A post ago you said context is everything. And now you are comparing literal, commonsensical applications of the word "retard" and "retarded" in mundane situations to use of it when it refers to mentally challenged people. Ha. I get the feeling it would be a waste of time to continue talking to you.

Boo-fucking-hoo. Your life is so hard. Sometimes you have to say extra syllables.

Boo-Fucking-hoo someone said you word you don't like. So fucking what.

You have issues with the words Moron, Idiot, Imbecile, Stupid or Dumb? Should he have used any of those words instead? Guess what they all mean almost the exact same thing. They almost all have to do with being mentally retarded.

Just because mental midget PC sissies get bent over the use of a word does not make it a federal offense.

Yes ASB, that is exactly right, and was alluded to in my "you have the right to think that a person who uses word X is a Y" statement. But you calling the person anything back only furthers the non-PC stance adding merit to the "don't be such a thin skinned whimp" argument from the PC side.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Back up the pretentiousness bus. Not caring in context of a word his hardly morally dubious. You presume much because I think using the word retard, which is in a dictionary to describe something is akin to having no morals is categorically wrong and pathetic logic.

The problem with what Flacco said is that there are people in this country that get into hissy fits over the fact he said retarded.
    So someone who says "you presume much" wants other people to "back up the pretentiousness bus"? That's rich.

And you're right, it would have been "categorically wrong and pathetic logic" of me if I had said what you said I did. Fortunately, I didn't. (Reading comprehension!)

Here is what you said:

When did America turn into a bunch of pussies? You people need to get thicker skin and not give a damn about what people say unless it is directed at you.

Here is what I said after:

Captain Silver was not being specific to this [the "retard" situation] example. He was broadly stating that people should not care about things unless they personally affect them, which is a statement so morally and historically dubious I don't even know where to start.

So to reiterate:

What you said sure as hell sounds like a general statement to me! So, yes, I think that "not giv[ing] a damn about what people say unless it is directed at you" is extremely morally dubious. Mostly because of a little thing called empathy.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

The Euphamism Treadmill that was brought up was a great point.

MY issue with the "PC craze" isn't the intention, it's the execution. The problem is that the accepted term turns into a derogatory term adn is replaced now on a nearly annual basis. It is becoming increasingly hard o "keep up with the times" an use today's corrrect terminology for a certain subset of the populace.

Let's use those people that due to genetics are Far shorter then average. Midget, Dwarf... been bad for a while. Ok no problem, I can avoid those terms. So first I was trained to say vertically challenged or height challenged, and now "little people" is the term. The problem, to me, is that the new term is the most condescending of all so it is only a matter of time before a new term is born. It is far easier for a society to conform with new fangled terminology when it isn't such a quickly moving target. Like it's on a treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkmormon View Post
    Yes ASB, that is exactly right, and was alluded to in my "you have the right to think that a person who uses word X is a Y" statement. But you calling the person anything back only furthers the non-PC stance adding merit to the "don't be such a thin skinned whimp" argument from the PC side.
    No, if I called him something else that was a pejorative term used to insult a minority class it would add merit to the other side. If I said, "Calling something retarded is something I only expect from low class niggers" then I'd be a hypocrite and a fool. But calling someone who insists on exercising his right to call something retarded an asshole doesn't really compare.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    No, if I called him something else that was a pejorative term used to insult a minority class it would add merit to the other side. If I said, "Calling something retarded is something I only expect from low class niggers" then I'd be a hypocrite and a fool. But calling someone who insists on exercising his right to call something retarded an asshole doesn't really compare.
    So you think calling people assholes is politically correct?

Blog Entries

Why.
    Why what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I'm offended by this, could you pleas edit this...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Kids can actually get suspended for bullying these days.
    Hell, I got suspended for two weeks for beating up the school bully in the 9th grade and my dad had to
    pay his medical bills. I didn't even start the fight but I finished it. Fighting wasn't allowed in school but that's the way
    we did things in the 60s. The guy never bothered anyone again.

HR is right and so is T.

I was the Disability Coordinator for my agency and bought a lot of equipment for our disabled employees.
    I put in the first handi cap parking places.

NOne of my former clients would be upset with JOe. So there's now we gotta put the R-word on the list with C-word as things we can't say. Now Ben Stiller's movie where he went out of his way to imitate a person with MS on crutches and had the
    entire theater laughing was offensive and was one of the only movies I ever walked out of.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-29-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Blog Entries

So someone who says "you presume much" wants other people to "back up the pretentiousness bus"? That's rich.

And you're right, it would have been "categorically wrong and pathetic logic" of me if I had said what you said I did. Fortunately, I didn't. (Reading comprehension!)

Here is what you said:

When did America turn into a bunch of pussies? You people need to get thicker skin and not give a damn about what people say unless it is directed at you.

Here is what I said after:

Captain Silver was not being specific to this [the "retard" situation] example. He was broadly stating that people should not care about things unless they personally affect them, which is a statement so morally and historically dubious I don't even know where to start.

So to reiterate:

What you said sure as hell sounds like a general statement to me! So, yes, I think that "not giv[ing] a damn about what people say unless it is directed at you" is extremely morally dubious. Mostly because of a little thing called empathy.
    Again, split hairs and judge others by your own moral compass, it suits you well. Take note, because you and other's deem the word retarded or have some theory about the advancing of the civilization dropping words that become offensive doesn't mean shit to me nor does it have anything to do with my level of empathy towards my fellow man. I generalized about America's obsession with being PC, it is merely one more form of hypocrisy carried as a standard by the 'holier than thou club.'

You make a point on my empathy, which you know nothing of, so wear the pretentiousness cloak proudly.

Thicker skin means, try and laugh it off not give yourself an aneurysm over it.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Seriously, stupid fucking comment Joe.
    And you think it ok to make fun of PETA on the Ray Lewis deer antler thread? PC is all about not picking and choosing based on your life, but accepting all...