Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1819202122 ... LastLast

Re: Jaws' QB Rankings on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Damn, you proved it. And then I looked up Earl Morrall's 1968 season, and compared it to John Unitas' 1967 and 1969 seasons, and you know what? We have to drop Johnny U out of the top 20 too now.
    Exactly!

/debate

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Yeah I can see your logic there. I'm not totally sold because the Championship card can be overplayed IMO. I have Peyton over Brady for instance and Tarkenton over Bradshaw. You can make a case that in each of those comparisons I came out on the wrong side.

But in our debate on this thread-Brady is definitely a top 15 QB all-time. Possibly top 5, probably top 10.
    I think Brady/Peyton is a toss up, but I will admit that I hate Peyton Manning way more than I hate Tom Brady. The thing about Bradshaw and Tarkenton is that Tarkenton threw for about 19K more yards and had over 100 more TD's plys he was a runner. Its a mitigant for the fact that he did not win championships. You can argue that those Steelers teams were loaded and Bradshaw had the one of the best defenses ever, but the Vikings had the Purple People Eaters who were really good defensively and a pretty strong run game. Like the Bills of the early 90's, those viking teams should have won at least 1.

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    I think Brady/Peyton is a toss up, but I will admit that I hate Peyton Manning way more than I hate Tom Brady. The thing about Bradshaw and Tarkenton is that Tarkenton threw for about 19K more yards and had over 100 more TD's plys he was a runner. Its a mitigant for the fact that he did not win championships. You can argue that those Steelers teams were loaded and Bradshaw had the one of the best defenses ever, but the Vikings had the Purple People Eaters who were really good defensively and a pretty strong run game. Like the Bills of the early 90's, those viking teams should have won at least 1.
    Yeah. Tarkenton's career stats are so good that he can handle the comparison with Bradshaw (and Staubach) and come out on top.

Blog Entries

Damn, you proved it. And then I looked up Earl Morrall's 1968 season, and compared it to John Unitas' 1967 and 1969 seasons, and you know what? We have to drop Johnny U out of the top 20 too now.
    (Except of course that Unitas's hands were pretty much disintegrating by that stage of his career so it is in no way comparable whatsoever.)

You see, it makes more sense to compare contemporaries.

Patriots without Brady: 11-5
    Colts without Manning: 2-14

Hmm...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    Yes lets compare. In 2008, Matt Cassell through for just under 3,700 yards and 21 touchdowns and 11 INTs. In 2007, Tom Brady for 4,800 50 TD's and 8 Int's. In 2009 coming off an injury he threw for just under 4,400 yards, 28 TD's, 13 INTs. Brady also made the playoffs where Cassell did not. To me it looks like Brady was clearly better both before and after by a wide margin.
    Good job Brady! He outplayed possibly the worst quarterback in the league.

The point he was making was that even the worst quarterback in the league put up very, very solid numbers in the Patriots system, and won 11 games. So logically, if a piss-poor quarterback can put up very solid numbers in the Patriots' system, a good quarterback could put up huge numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Good job Brady! He outplayed possibly the worst quarterback in the league.

The point he was making was that even the worst quarterback in the league put up very, very solid numbers in the Patriots system, and won 11 games. So logically, if a piss-poor quarterback can put up very solid numbers in the Patriots' system, a good quarterback could put up huge numbers.
    Come on dude.

Matt Cassell also made the pro bowl with the Chiefs in 2010 and threw 27 TD's to 7 INT's. But I'm sure that's due to the Patriots system.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Come on dude.

Matt Cassell also made the pro bowl with the Chiefs in 2010 and threw 27 TD's to 7 INT's. But I'm sure that's due to the Patriots system.

Holy shit. Really? He did? I did not know that. I'm really surprised by that. Okay, I'm wrong on this particular aspect. And yes, I'm way over the top in my discounting of Tom Brady. I've been trying to judge Brady in the same way that people judge Flacco, to showcase the absurdity. But I STAND BY that he isn't a top-10 quarterback, and that Flacco is better. I remember getting in a huge debate on a thread after the AFCCG loss two years ago when I said Flacco was better and more clutch, and I got laughed off. I've had some redemption this past season, even if nobody even remembers that thread anymore. :)

You Sir have just won this debate.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

I think for purposes of this thread, Jaws is the tie breaker

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Jaws has Big Ben 7th...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...kings-continue

The Ryan VS Flacco debate is still alive.. lol

I think with the QBs left on the list (Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, Brees, Flacco and Ryan) we'll see

6 Ryan
    5 Flacco

4 Brees *

3 Brady
    2 Peyton

1 Rodgers *

Rodgers and Brees are locks in their slots I think. Ryan/Flacco could flip at 5 and 6 and I think Brady/Peyton could flip at 2 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by perryw9202 View Post
    In related news, internet servers have crashed all over Western PA.