Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Steve B

Re: Steve B

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan1996 View Post
    For one, The Ravens nor Biscotti made any comments that Billick was his man and was staying this season. Billick made the comment that he would be back but The ravens or steve never confirmed this. There was no back and forth from steve. The MEDIA made those comments of "sources" saying billick was safe, and blah this and that.
    Incorrect. For a time there was a blog entry on the Ravens' own website about Billick returning next year, and the reason it was widely reported in the media is because Kevin Byrne was the person *telling* them, if you believe DF, and I certainly have no reason to doubt him.

And the press person would not have told the media the coach was returning if there had not been some confirmation from the ownership side.

I am not ruling out (a) Bisciotti changing his mind or (b) Bisciotti successfully deceiving almost everybody, including *very* high ranking officials in the organization, for a time. In fact I think one of those two is the case.

But Bisciotti *absolutely* got word out, through official channels, that Billick would be returning next year.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Incorrect. For a time there was a blog entry on the Ravens' own website about Billick returning next year, and the reason it was widely reported in the media is because Kevin Byrne was the person *telling* them, if you believe DF, and I certainly have no reason to doubt him.

And the press person would not have told the media the coach was returning if there had not been some confirmation from the ownership side.

I am not ruling out (a) Bisciotti changing his mind or (b) Bisciotti successfully deceiving almost everybody, including *very* high ranking officials in the organization, for a time. In fact I think one of those two is the case.

But Bisciotti *absolutely* got word out, through official channels, that Billick would be returning next year.
    Exactly.

I dunno where some people come up with the idea that Billick wasn't told by Bisciotti he was coming back. Like Festivus said, it was on the teams' website. This wasn't some drummed up rumor that caught legs and the media ran with it. The director of media relations for the TEAM confirmed Billick was returning. Now, who does he get his information from?

Bisciotti's own quote said he changed his mind. What exactly did he change his mind from?

He's the owner and he can do what he wants.

But IMO this was handled VERY poorly.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan1996 View Post
    For one, The Ravens nor Biscotti made any comments that Billick was his man and was staying this season. Billick made the comment that he would be back but The ravens or steve never confirmed this. There was no back and forth from steve. The MEDIA made those comments of "sources" saying billick was safe, and blah this and that.
    The only quote I can remember by Biscotti is something in the Sun, but I am not gonna go look for that now, but you are wrong about the Ravens.

On the 27th of december, Kevin Byrne, wrote here

STAYING WITH BRIAN

I’m pretty sure some owners would have fired Brian Billick after a season like we’re having. I’m glad Steve Bisciotti did not. Steve will give his explanation when he meets with the media next Wednesday, Jan. 2.

Change is not always good, and I’ll borrow from a recent Peter King blog to make this point.
    Kevin Byrne is the Ravens’ Senior Vice President – Public and Community Relations.

I don't think it can get any more official than that. You are just wrong on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post
    The only quote I can remember by Biscotti is something in the Sun, but I am not gonna go look for that now, but you are wrong about the Ravens.

On the 27th of december, Kevin Byrne, wrote here

Kevin Byrne is the Ravens’ Senior Vice President – Public and Community Relations.

I don't think it can get any more official than that. You are just wrong on this.
    Thank you for finding and posting this.

For everyone still clinging to the idea that Billick wasn't told he was coming back by Bisciotti, please explain this.

PP

Not sure why we're bringing up Byrne's comments.

It doesnt change the situation except confirm all reports that this was a gut decision made by Bisciotti.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not sure why we're bringing up Byrne's comments.

It doesnt change the situation except confirm all reports that this was a gut decision made by Bisciotti.
    Because many people (not you necessarily) continue to believe that Billick was never told by Bisciotti that he would be back in 2008 and that Billick told the media that to force Bisciotti's hand when in fact that's not true at all. (is this a run-on sentence?)

When the Senior VP of Public and Community Relations says the coach is coming back, it's not some unconfirmed source that is relying on 2nd hand information.

PP

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Because many people (not you necessarily) continue to believe that Billick was never told by Bisciotti that he would be back in 2008 and that Billick told the media that to force Bisciotti's hand when in fact that's not true at all. (is this a run-on sentence?)
    Yes it is, but as the king of run-on sentences I have to tell you it is weak and shoddy work in need of a real stream-of-conciousness thought expulsion where you blurt out stuff we really don't need or want to know because it just comes pouring out of you with little to no effort and in fact can't be helped because you don't like to stop once you get going.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Yes it is, but as the king of run-on sentences I have to tell you it is weak and shoddy work in need of a real stream-of-conciousness thought expulsion where you blurt out stuff we really don't need or want to know because it just comes pouring out of you with little to no effort and in fact can't be helped because you don't like to stop once you get going.

I will work on my craft.

PP

Is it all disturbing that SB said he decided Sunday morning to fire Billick on his own gut feeling? Wouldn't you expect SB to first talk to "Oz" and tell him about this feeling? Isn't that Newsome's department? Newsome doesn't even have the respect (as a GM) of the owner. He just sits there living off the 1996 draft. It's time Newsome gets exposed for the figure-head he is.

While I think it was the correct decision, I thought Bisciotti and the Ravens handled the Billick firing awkwardly at best, poorly at worst. But as I said earlier, Art Modell told the media and Browns PLAYERS in late 1995 that Bill Belichick would be the head coach in Baltimore in '96. Bisciotti isn't the first and certainly won't be the last sports owner to change his mind.

I think it is too early to judge Bisciotti as an owner. In his first few weeks of ownership, Jerry Jones handled the firing of Tom Landry horribly, but it turned out to be the right decision.

Bob Kraft made a mistake in his 4th year of ownership in his handling of Bill Parcells' departure. He learned from his mistake, hired Bill Belichick 3 years later, and now has a dynasty.

My point is that Steve Bisciotti is learning how to be an NFL owner. He's in his 4th year as full owner and this is the first time he's had to fire a coach. It's unlike any other business he's been involved in because it is SO public. While he called it a "gut" decision, he and Ozzie both said that they have been discussing it for weeks. I don't think he would have made the decision if Ozzie didn't support it.

Ozzie will support anything Bisciotti says......he doesn't seem to be running the team. The coach gets fired and he had NOTHING to say. What a great GM.