Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Re: OT - 2 explosions at finish line of Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Talk to any investigator. They are one in the same.
    Or talk to Richard Jewell.

Not sure how anyone can call these bombs as "crude".

They both detonated and with a good amount of coordination. Smoke traveling up is not indicative of the trajectory of the blast. If you look at the replay, the concussion is clearly visible by the movement of the flags and the barrier along the marathon route.

Also, the low numbers of actual casualties could be for any number of reason not having anything to do with the bomb or it's placement, mainly the number of people in proximity of the bomb. For example, if you have a tight number of people around the bomb, that will displace the concussion and stop the pellets from going anywhere or with the desired force.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Or talk to Richard Jewell.
    Excellent point.

Blog Entries

Talk to any investigator. They are one in the same.

One is just a more media friendly term, designed not to paint a bleak picture of the person they are interested in.
    A suspect is rarely a witness (unless amongst a group) but PoI can be just that. So there is a difference. The term was created by media but for that reason, to diminish guilt before warranted. If what GOTA listed above is true, hes not even a PoI and/or suspect anymore. I still think the police were saying one thing and the media another.

CBS News senior correspondent John Miller reports the man is a Saudi national currently under guard at an area hospital. He was seen running from the explosion, and a civilian chased him down and tackled him. He was turned over to Boston police and was being interviewed by the FBI. He was being cooperative and denying any involvement and it was too soon to call him a suspect.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    A suspect is rarely a witness (unless amongst a group) but PoI can be just that. So there is a difference. The term was created by media but for that reason, to diminish guilt before warranted. If what GOTA listed above is true, hes not even a PoI and/or suspect anymore. I still think the police were saying one thing and the media another.
    I'm going to again disagree.

I've had witnesses turn into suspects and vice versa. The origins of the term "person of interest" stems from investigators hoping to keep someone they think is involved at bay with an innocuous term. It wasn't created *by* the media, it was created *for* the media as to not scare a suspect into not talking.

When you hear PoI, the investigator may say publicly they are not a suspect, but behind closed doors, they NEVER rule out anyone as suspects.

Blog Entries

Not sure how anyone can call these bombs as "crude".

They both detonated and with a good amount of coordination. Smoke traveling up is not indicative of the trajectory of the blast. If you look at the replay, the concussion is clearly visible by the movement of the flags and the barrier along the marathon route.

Also, the low numbers of actual casualties could be for any number of reason not having anything to do with the bomb or it's placement, mainly the number of people in proximity of the bomb. For example, if you have a tight number of people around the bomb, that will displace the concussion and stop the pellets from going anywhere or with the desired force.
    I'm just repeating what a retired NYC police officer and current terrorism consultant said on FOX News this morning. He made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm just repeating what a retired NYC police officer and current terrorism consultant said on FOX News this morning. He made sense to me.
    Agreed. I wasn't directing my comments towards anyone here.

Maybe the *crude* term is in reference to the parts used to make the bomb?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    It's fanatics and extremists - whether political, religious, or just angry about whatever - who are the problem -- people who feel like the world isn't bending to their will fast enough; that their voice and opinion and debate isn't working as effectively as they want, and they want results now. So they decide that their concept of "morality" is SO important that it qualifies them for an exemption from decency and the rules and laws of society. Other people, whose views aren't as "important", have to obey the law, but not those exalted few who are SO right about everything that they are justified in random murder to advance (in their minds) their agendas.

As Robert Anton Wilson once wrote, "Death to all fanatics!"
    Great post. That's what I was trying to say - fanaticals in politics and religion.

As for the Muslim thing, a guy up here in Harford County was arrested for flashing a gun
    at a car that went by. He was born here but had an Arab background and looked it. He
    was tired of getting the finger every time a car went by him so he got the gun.

Only prob, a cop in an un-marked car was right behind him and pulled both cars over. The Arab got $30,000 bail while the other guy who flashed the bird was released.

It's not right but this sh*t happens all the time. It will get worse now.

Flashing a gun at someone is highly illegal. Shooting a bird at them isn't.

Now I agree that we shouldn't judge someone based simply on a single aspect of their personality.* Basically the same thing I said in another thread; I don't want folks judging me because of some loon from Kentucky, so I won't be judging whole groups of people on the actions of a few.

*Except Squeeler fans. By all means hate those inbreds as much as you want.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Arrest is imminent in the case, per AP ....

EDIT: Arrest made, per CNN and AP
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 04-17-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Arrest is imminent in the case, per AP ....

EDIT: Arrest made, per CNN and AP
    Sounds like they correlated pictures of him talking on his cell phone to cell phone call records and his street location. Pretty slick detective work.

That fact that the wasn't using a burner speaks to a very amateur operation...too bad it was not amateur enough to successfully package and detonate the bombs.

No arrest made after all, per Boston PD ...

AP and CNN botched this one.