Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    I can't help but think of my 6 year old nephew when N. Korea pulls these stunts. "Look at me! Look at me! Over here! Look! Look!"
    Yup.

CNN showed video of a bunch of SK citizens being interviewed.

Only one of about a dozen residents were worried.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 04-02-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Re: N.Korea says there will be war

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yup.

CNN showed video of a bunch of SK citizens being interviewed.

Only one of about a dozen residents were worried.
    My in-laws are a little more worried this time than in the past. There is a slightly different "feel" to this DPRK tantrum than to those in the past; this "kid" is an unknown entity compared to the last two Kims.

Take a look at the pictures of this Kim with his generals and compare them to the generals standing behind his father and grandfather. This group is much, much younger. That means they did not particpate in the 1950-1953 conflict and have no idea what defeat feels like. They've been raise truly believing our military is weak and road bound.

Add to this the fact that Ms Pak is not like her predecesors in that she is not likely to send oil and food bribes up north and is more likely to allow the ROK military to respond to armed provocations such as the shelling of that fishing village island or the sinking of the ROK Navy vessel a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    I can't help but think of my 6 year old nephew when N. Korea pulls these stunts. "Look at me! Look at me! Over here! Look! Look!"
    Difference between your 6 year old nephew and the leader are the toys... That is what makes it even more frightening. NK could easily unleash those toys, then NK goes "oops..."

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    Difference between your 6 year old nephew and the leader are the toys... That is what makes it even more frightening. NK could easily unleash those toys, then NK goes "oops..."

On top of that, pressure is going to get NK's leader.... sooner or later, he is going to have to show the world something besides empty rhetoric. When you ignore a 6 year old kid, the kid will probably do something brash just to get our attention.... I am sensing the same with that "mentally unstable" leader...

Blog Entries

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...=all#pagebreak

This is a really good write up from the Washington Times on everything happening right now.

Not so much what Kerry is saying, but everything afterwards. Down at the bottom of the article click "view entire story". Good stuff there.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

This is a really good write up from the Washington Times on everything happening right now.

Not so much what Kerry is saying, but everything afterwards. Down at the bottom of the article click "view entire story". Good stuff there.
    Good link. Thanks.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/3/greatest-danger-korea-miscalculation-us-general-sa/?page=1

Here's another article that was linked from that one. It has some details of rules of engagement for North Korea, South Korea and the US, and explains how a larger conflict could now potentially escalate from something fairly minor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/3/greatest-danger-korea-miscalculation-us-general-sa/?page=1

Here's another article that was linked from that one. It has some details of rules of engagement for North Korea, South Korea and the US, and explains how a larger conflict could now potentially escalate from something fairly minor.
    That article seems to add more detail to and confirm what I guessed a few posts back. Quite simply, while this episode will probably fade away as others have in the past, these are much more uncertain times, and simple dismissal of the threat or references to making the DPRK a glass parking lot aren't really considering the whole current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Thats what Americans said in 1950 before they killed 53,000 of them. Most of those casualties were from the initial attack which caught Americans by surprise - as usual. The South Koreans are sure worried. China has 6,000 nukes pointed at Taiwan, not sure how many at S. Korea but I'm sure it's more than 6,000.
    More like 38K, and except for Task Force Smith, which was hammered by NK troops around Osan, I'd guess that the bulk of our casualties occured after China entered the war in November(?) of 1950.

Blog Entries

That 54,000 included other deaths during that war. The Pentagon used those figures for 50 years and recently revised them to include about 33,000 combat deaths and about 3,000 other deaths. The old figures were used on the 50th Anniversary of the war.

Total combined losses for China and N. Korea were about 1.5M - 400,000 from disease and starvation. China couldn't even feed it's own troops and God help American POWs.

I read somewhere that most of the American deaths occurred before the Chinese entered the war and during the initial N. Korean invasion which caught Americans by surprise- doesn't it always?

Today we have nukes pointed down their throats which has kept them at bay. The US will use them if they attack. They seem to be playing chicken and are testing America's will.

China went along with the latest UN sanctions on N.Korea so they still control them.

BTW, we were kicking China's ass at the end of the war. They pushed us back to Seoul and came within a few miles of it. Then we pushed them back across the 38th line and that's when they gave up and wanted peace. They actually wanted peace earlier as they crossed the 38th but Stalin pushed them to fight on another year.

A million man army couldn't push about 350,000 Americans into the sea and they sure as hell tried.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-507_162-202741.html
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-03-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Blog Entries

STROUD - No way of knowing but do you think MacArthur could have gone into China like he wanted. It got him fired.

IKE finally ended the war when he threatened to drop the bomb in Central N. Korea and another one along the Yalu. China was scared to death of the guy who killed Hitler.

China would have been too big just like Russia would have been too big for Patton to invade.

Blog Entries
    China's military in 1950 is very different than their military today.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.