View Poll Results: If you could be sure ONE of these was possible, which would you prefer?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extend Anquan Boldin's contract out to three years at a slightly reduced cap hit this year.

48 68.57%
  • Cut Boldin and sign Wes Welker to a three year deal at a slightly higher cap hit per year.

0 0%
  • Cut Boldin and draft Tavon Austin to play in the slot.

8 11.43%
  • Cut Boldin, elevate Tandon Doss, use the $ to re-sign Ellerbe or Reed or Williams

6 8.57%
  • I don't like any of those options.

8 11.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Boldin | Which would you rather?

Austin will be gone top `15-20... otherwise I would have chosen that option.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Austin will be gone top `15-20... otherwise I would have chosen that option.
    I'm pretty sure teams are still leery of taking 5'8'' receivers in the first round, let alone top 20. Dexter McCluster has a very similar skill-set and still didn't go till the 3rd round.

He might slip in 32 or top of second but I really doubt he goes top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    I'm pretty sure teams are still leery of taking 5'8'' receivers in the first round, let alone top 20. Dexter McCluster has a very similar skill-set and still didn't go till the 3rd round.

He might slip in 32 or top of second but I really doubt he goes top 20.

He's quite probably the best playmaker in the entire draft, and could possibly be one of the biggest playmakers inthe NFL in short order. His short area quickness is off the charts.

I'd be absolutely ASTOUNDED if he escapes the top 20.

He's a better, faster, quicker Percy Harvin with less injury concerns. Alebit a touch smaller.

He's quite probably the best playmaker in the entire draft, and could possibly be one of the biggest playmakers inthe NFL in short order. His short area quickness is off the charts.

I'd be absolutely ASTOUNDED if he escapes the top 20.

He's a better, faster, quicker Percy Harvin with less injury concerns. Alebit a touch smaller.
    We'll see. I think Harvin was the exception not the rule. And Harvin was certainly more hyped, as a guy who was a Heisman candidate in his sophomore and junior seasons. And 3'' and 15 pounds makes a big difference. It's the difference between a guy like DeSean Jackson who has become a #1 receiver and Dexter McCluster who is a nice complimentary player.

I would still like him, however.

I think both arguments are valid. I will not be shocked if Austin goes 15th...and I won't be shocked if he's there at 32 available for the Ravens to take, or more likely, available for them to dangle the pick to a team that will be thrilled to make him their second pick. I think he, Teo and Ogletree are the three most intriguing players in terms of trying to predict where they go in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I think both arguments are valid. I will not be shocked if Austin goes 15th...and I won't be shocked if he's there at 32 available for the Ravens to take, or more likely, available for them to dangle the pick to a team that will be thrilled to make him their second pick. I think he, Teo and Ogletree are the three most intriguing players in terms of trying to predict where they go in the draft.
    if he was a more normal size he would be going #1 overall in this poor draft.

if he was a more normal size he would be going #1 overall in this poor draft.
    That's definitely true. If he was 6'' 190 he'd top 5 top 10 easily.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    That's definitely true. If he was 6'' 190 he'd top 5 top 10 easily.
    If he were 6' 190 I don't think there would be any question who would go #1 overall... I think the question would be if KC would get enough value to trade out of the pick...

I won't argue the point that his size is the primary factor in limiting his draft stock. But I think it would be wrong to think he is everything you want in a receiver who just happens to be smallish. It's not like a team is going to get a guy who will produce like a #1 overall receiver who will be a steal in the later half of the first round.

His size and skill in the open field shaped how he was used at WVU and it will narrow how he will be used in the NFL. He wasn't asked to do what a Calvin Johnson does, and he won't do what a Calvin Johnson can do in the NFL. He'll give a team a few explosive plays that will be the difference in winning some games, and he will be a nightmare to cover, which will make the other receiving options on the field that much better. But he won't be the kind of workhorse receiver who will rack up a ton of catches, or the sort of player a team will lean on in the red zone when they have to score or the kind of go-to guy on third down who you throw it up and expect he'll make a play. That's the kind of player who you do think about making the number one overall pick. Not many guys not named Calvin Johnson have that kind of total value.

What I'm trying to say is that this isn't like an undersized linebacker who still can do everything you expect a linebacker to do. His size does limit what kind of role he has had, and will have. Which is not to say he isn't a tremendous talent. I'd be very happy to have him as a complimentary piece to go with Rice and Torrey Smith in a very dynamic scheme. Like Rice and Smith, who both were second round picks, he needs to be a piece of the puzzle.

For me extend Boldin. I chuckle when I read Raven fans talking about Boldins lack of speed. Because of his strong body and hands he's one of the few guys in the NFL that is open when he is covered if the ball is placed in the right area. Take a look at the Browns game from Thursday Night football. That was just incredible work by Boldin and Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I won't argue the point that his size is the primary factor in limiting his draft stock. But I think it would be wrong to think he is everything you want in a receiver who just happens to be smallish. It's not like a team is going to get a guy who will produce like a #1 overall receiver who will be a steal in the later half of the first round.

His size and skill in the open field shaped how he was used at WVU and it will narrow how he will be used in the NFL. He wasn't asked to do what a Calvin Johnson does, and he won't do what a Calvin Johnson can do in the NFL. He'll give a team a few explosive plays that will be the difference in winning some games, and he will be a nightmare to cover, which will make the other receiving options on the field that much better. But he won't be the kind of workhorse receiver who will rack up a ton of catches, or the sort of player a team will lean on in the red zone when they have to score or the kind of go-to guy on third down who you throw it up and expect he'll make a play. That's the kind of player who you do think about making the number one overall pick. Not many guys not named Calvin Johnson have that kind of total value.

What I'm trying to say is that this isn't like an undersized linebacker who still can do everything you expect a linebacker to do. His size does limit what kind of role he has had, and will have. Which is not to say he isn't a tremendous talent. I'd be very happy to have him as a complimentary piece to go with Rice and Torrey Smith in a very dynamic scheme. Like Rice and Smith, who both were second round picks, he needs to be a piece of the puzzle.
    While you make some good points, you can essentially say the same of DeSean Jackson at Cal; they made him the focal point of their offense in terms of screens, reverses, and of course kick returns.

That didn't stop him from becoming a pretty complete receiver in his own right when he came to the NFL.

Now you're right Austin will never be a Calvin Johnson but it doesn't mean he'll forever be relegated to a gadget receiver. Hell, one of the most productive receivers in the league (Welker) is about the same size as Austin. I wouldn't say his role is all that "narrrow." He can do almost everything a normal receiver can do save maybe go deep (though he went pretty deep on that dropped AFC Championship pass). But that isn't any different than a guy like say Boldin, who's skillset also precludes him from running 9 routes effectively.

There once was a little guy named Steve Smith down in Carolina that was a "pretty good" receiver. Albeit he was a 3rd rounder when taken, he came out of a junior college program and then went to a smaller division one school (Utah). Could Tavon Austin be as good a player as Smith or will he be more of a complimentary player like Harvin or McCluster?