Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens couldn't give up on Kindle's ability to rush the passer.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...tory?track=rss

...the Ravens have seen enough ability from him in practice to feel that it will translate into the regular season.

“That’s something we’ve seen him do in practice, in the preseason,” Harbaugh said. “He’s got some talent, obviously. He’s still probably on his way back from a really bad brain injury. It’s remarkable how far he’s come, and we’re not ready to give up on him. We never would ‘give up on him’ — that’s probably a bad choice of words — but we’re still looking at him as a pass rusher and a physical edge-setter as an outside linebacker.”
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens couldn't give up on Kindle's ability to rush the passer.

Most level minded posters already knows this, I'll be willing to bet if kindle didn't suffer that injury we would see a totally different player right now. Think about it for sec, what player would ever want to come play for us if we just gave up on another player who had such a serious accident? Not one player would step foot in this club. In my opinion i don't think Kindle can overcome this but the club is showing class by still giving him an opportunity to compete and overcome his injury.

Blog Entries

Some may forget about it, because of how much of a bust he has been so far in the league. But Kindle came out of college as one of the better pass rushing prospects in the last decade. He was an elite first step guy, and was certainly quick twitch, he was arguably better as a pure pass rusher than what Suggs was coming out of college. He was great at setting the edge and stuffing the run too, he could pretty much do it all. I honestly thought he was going to become an immediate role player on our team, as a situational pass rusher backing up JJ, and eventually take over from him as a full time starter, I had big hopes for Kindle. I could have seen a 7-10 sack rookie season as a situation player, such a shame, and the biggest disappointment for a long time.

Blog Entries

He really was a great pass rusher coming out of college, if that injury never happened wed probably be talking about a guy thats getting 6+/- sacks a year. With the injury, hes probably set himself back a little too much and likely never will be the player he could have been. Sad story but i still think he could show flashes and get us a few sacks this year, which well need. I dont think hes looked as bad as others but id agree hes nowhere near where youd want your first pick of 3 years ago to be.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

That injury set Kindle back to baby stages, there was one report saying that he had to re-learn some of his motor skills, thats big fall off from learning how to use basic functions to learning how to play pro-ball. Its a disappointment for sure because a Kindle without that injury would have set the league on fire.

Blog Entries

I have a former business partner who fell off about a 15 foot ladder onto his driveway a few years ago. Busted his coconut pretty badly. Had a metal plate put in his skull, lost his sense of smell and taste.

He's still a sharp guy, but he needs to rest more often -- takes naps late in the afternoon every day because he really can't get through a whole day of talking on the phone, reading, writing etc without rest.

For Kindle to play NFL football after something similar to that (the only thing I know to compare it with) seems basically impossible.

For now I take it he is still one of the best 53 players the Ravens have. I still have hopes for him. But realistically, given how competitive the league is and how many incredible athletes there are out there fighting tooth and nail for one of these slots on a roster, his situation is going to have to improve to a degree that probably defies medical reality in order to remain one of those 53 for long.

Blog Entries

I really hope he comes back from that and has a productive career.

Everybody like a comeback story, and I always feel for someone who isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    ...Think about it for sec, what player would ever want to come play for us if we just gave up on another player who had such a serious accident? Not one player would step foot in this club. In my opinion i don't think Kindle can overcome this but the club is showing class by still giving him an opportunity to compete and overcome his injury.
    I think the Raven's have had numerous easy outs on Kindle if they wanted them:
    1) Right after the injury, they could have argued they didn't feel safe letting him play. As a non-football injury I don't think they would have been on the hook for anything. I'm sure some players might have had hard feelings, but it's hard to argue with "Sorry, we don't want you to play b/c you might die."
    2) After his DUI they TOTALLY could have released him, I mean they were basically paying him as a charity case and the dude goes out and gets a DUI? Are you kidding? Imagine if someone paid you several hundred thousand dollars (and probably more in medical care that the Raven's presumably covered after his head injury) and they were like "Dude, just get better and don't get into trouble" How hard is that?

Based on his preseason showings and training camp reports, it seems like he's done little to nothing good. I really don't understand why he's still on the team at all, but the FO knows more than I do.

I should add, I actually think the Ravens keeping Kindle this long belies the "it's just business" kind of arguments. Assuming Kindle is a decent guy to work with, I suspect they went above and beyond trying to help him out. I suspect Bryant McKinnie's on the other end of the spectrum, where he's been such a pain to deal with they went to him first for cuts. Which to me makes the Raven's seem more like a normal company, rather than the ultra-competitive machine some NFL franchises are made out to be.

Maybe he does still have it. You don't hold on to a guy this long for nothing. I'm pulling for him.

Ben survived crashing a motorcycle and still played at a high level and at a more demanding position.

I'd like to know Filmstudy's take on his play.

Blog Entries

Kindle has a very small contract. If they see anything at all in terms of his ability to rush the passer they're going to hang on to him. I bet he's here next year as an exclusive rights free agent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Kindle has a very small contract. If they see anything at all in terms of his ability to rush the passer they're going to hang on to him. I bet he's here next year as an exclusive rights free agent.
    Probably.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.