Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHL Thread

Re: 2017 NHL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Kunetzov's production has fallen off.
    Not significantly IMO; currently projected at 65 points versus 77 last season, while averaging less TOI (17:25 v. 16:43 this year):
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats...geny-kuznetsov

Plus, he has been playing at a noticeably higher level the past couple of months, so that difference may not turn out to be as great as currently predicted. http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...nd-brent-burns

I can live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    Not significantly IMO; currently projected at 65 points versus 77 last season, while averaging less TOI (17:25 v. 16:43 this year):

Plus, he has been playing at a noticeably higher level the past couple of months, so that difference may not turn out to be as great as currently predicted. http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...nd-brent-burns

I can live with it.
    Yeah I didn't mean to make it sound like its been drastic. He's probably the best 2C in the league in terms of production outside of Crosby-Geno, but those two are just whacky obviously.

The last two months, the Cpas have been on another level. When Ottawa lost by 1 twice and then took them down 2-0 they played probably their best defensive game of the year with Boucher's trap. That's how you have to beat them. You can't get into a run and gun with them becuase Holtby is damn good and they can match the scoring.

Only way to stop them is to play strong D
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post

I can live with it.
    Wow. Good stuff.

Yeah, I can live with that too.

Sounds like you agree with my entire god damn point?

The "you don't follow the league obviously" argument is hilarious.
    I don't think anyone would disagree that they need to win the playoffs. I disagreed with you on whether or not this year's team is better than last year. At this point in the season there is no way to look at it other than analysis of regular season vs regular season. If your determination on whether a team is better or not is how they perform in the playoffs there is no need to discuss hockey until after the season.

The 2000's were brutal.

The Sens will never see a Cup with Eugene Melnyk as the owner. Any owner that puts in an internal budget is purposely not spending as much on the team.

Wait till Karlsson walks. The fan base will implode. It sucks, but I dont think they'll last in Ottawa. The onyl chance they have to win is if they get a bunch of really good rookies to go with some vets in their prime to make the money work.

We'll never invest properly in the bottom 6 becuase of the budget. Stone is a threat to walk too given two of the worst contracts in the league with Pheanuf and Ryan eating up a massive chunk of the budget.
    I agree about the Melnyk thing. I'll always be grateful for him coming in and saving the team, but at this point it's best that we have owners that allow us to compete especially when there are rumoured interested parties out there with the funds (Desmarais and the Cirque de soleil guy and their rumoured Lebreton coup). I think at this point he's just hanging on to get the Lebreton rink started and he'll sell the team when the value is at it's highest.

I don't think Karlsson is going anywhere. I would hope Melnyk learned from the Alfredsson fiasco (don't get me started on that and how it got us into this mess with Bobby Ryan) and will just give him a blank cheque. I don't know if there would be any contending teams that would be able to fit in a $9-10mil contract without making major moves to their core.

Things are certainly going to be interesting when Turris and Stone come up for new contracts. At this point I'm pretty much in the get rid of Bobby Ryan for anything you can get before its too late camp, he appears to be going full on Heatley and that contract is already bad.

What is going to be big for us the next couple years will be how guys like Chabot, White, and Brown come along. If they can become important parts of our team over the next couple years then we might be able to move to cup contender status. If not, we're probably still treading water. It's such a frustrating team to watch how it's managed. It's like above average is good enough for them these days. I would always say at least one my teams (Ravens) has pretty competent management. Making deals like throwing in a draft pick in the Zibanejad / Brassard deal to save $2 million are just infuriating.

It sucks, but I dont think they'll last in Ottawa. The onyl chance they have to win is if they get a bunch of really good rookies to go with some vets in their prime to make the money work.
    Interesting. I never thought of the Sens being a potential move team like the Coyotes.

Didn't the Sens just move to a new building?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Didn't the Sens just move to a new building?
    They're trying to build one downtown in Lebreton Flats.

Right now it's in Kanata, which is about a 20 minute drive from downtown. It's one of the large reasons attendance gets low when they're not playing really really well. It's just inconvenient.

The city approved it, but it's not 100% yet. If they build it downtown then I won't be concerned, but if they stay in Kanata and keep putting out mediocre teams becuase their owner won't spend the money they will dwindle and they will end up relocating. I really do think that.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Flacco's_Haircut View Post
    I agree about the Melnyk thing. I'll always be grateful for him coming in and saving the team, but at this point it's best that we have owners that allow us to compete especially when there are rumoured interested parties out there with the funds (Desmarais and the Cirque de soleil guy and their rumoured Lebreton coup). I think at this point he's just hanging on to get the Lebreton rink started and he'll sell the team when the value is at it's highest.

I don't think Karlsson is going anywhere. I would hope Melnyk learned from the Alfredsson fiasco (don't get me started on that and how it got us into this mess with Bobby Ryan) and will just give him a blank cheque. I don't know if there would be any contending teams that would be able to fit in a $9-10mil contract without making major moves to their core.

Things are certainly going to be interesting when Turris and Stone come up for new contracts. At this point I'm pretty much in the get rid of Bobby Ryan for anything you can get before its too late camp, he appears to be going full on Heatley and that contract is already bad.

What is going to be big for us the next couple years will be how guys like Chabot, White, and Brown come along. If they can become important parts of our team over the next couple years then we might be able to move to cup contender status. If not, we're probably still treading water. It's such a frustrating team to watch how it's managed. It's like above average is good enough for them these days. I would always say at least one my teams (Ravens) has pretty competent management. Making deals like throwing in a draft pick in the Zibanejad / Brassard deal to save $2 million are just infuriating.
    A lot of people disagree with me about Karlsson. He seems to like Ottawa which is pretty cool. I really hope he stays.

Agreed about the prospects. White and Chabot are very solid for prospects and we could see White in Ottawa as early as the playoffs if we make it. As soon as his Boston College season ends he can be signed to an ELC and play for them. That would be a huge boost for their 3rd line.

I am TERRIFIED about losing Stone. He's going to be a top 5 RW in the league. His IQ is among the best in the game and he's probably the best defensive winger in the league. If the Selke didn't rely so much on faceoff % he would be a top 3 candidate.

We've mismanged our personnel. Zibby + Silfverberg > Ryan + Brassard. It sucks.

If they cna move Ryan I'll be really happy. Saw an interesting proposal in HFBoards last night. Eberle + Pouliot for Ryan + LAzar. Would love to pull that off. Pouliot has a bad contract, but it's onyl 2 more years. Ryans is like 5
    - Ray Lewis

2017 NHL Thread

Caps have scored 5+ goals in 9 straight home games.

That's just sick.

I'm not a big hockey fan - I just follow the Caps casually. Is there anything to the notion that they are peaking too soon for the second straight year ? Obviously you are trying your best each and every game - but they can't keep up this level of play forever. Just wondering if they are shooting their wad too soon.

A lot of people disagree with me about Karlsson. He seems to like Ottawa which is pretty cool. I really hope he stays.

Agreed about the prospects. White and Chabot are very solid for prospects and we could see White in Ottawa as early as the playoffs if we make it. As soon as his Boston College season ends he can be signed to an ELC and play for them. That would be a huge boost for their 3rd line.

I am TERRIFIED about losing Stone. He's going to be a top 5 RW in the league. His IQ is among the best in the game and he's probably the best defensive winger in the league. If the Selke didn't rely so much on faceoff % he would be a top 3 candidate.

We've mismanged our personnel. Zibby + Silfverberg > Ryan + Brassard. It sucks.

If they cna move Ryan I'll be really happy. Saw an interesting proposal in HFBoards last night. Eberle + Pouliot for Ryan + LAzar. Would love to pull that off. Pouliot has a bad contract, but it's onyl 2 more years. Ryans is like 5
    Ya I mean we've kept Alfredsson in the org. also and they're basically brothers. I'm just not as worried about him leaving as I guess a lot of fans are.

It sounds like they're really trying to make Stone a part of the leadership group and they'll likely give him an A when Neil moves on. Stone is such an incredible player to watch, the IQ and stick work is pretty much unrivalled. The only player I think that comes close in both departments right now is McDavid...although of course he has a lot of other qualities ahead of Stone, but I agree I think Stone is an under the radar star and future regular on Team Canada with his all around game.

Oddly enough, my biggest flight risk worry for the team was always Colin White. But if we can bring him in after his college season then I can see a big boost to our bottom 6. Honestly anything that gets Lazar and Neil out of the lineup for someone who can actually produce offence is a plus.

Ya I don't venture too much in the trade proposals on HF boards but I would jump at that trade. I doubt Edmonton would give us Eberle that easily though, I think their past interest in Lazar would have died down by now. Our best chance to lose Ryan might be the expansion draft and if Vegas takes him instead of say Methot / Ceci then we are laughing.