Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens sniffing around Dallas Clark

Ravens had a UDFA TE a few years ago...Brett Pierce. Went on to sign with the Cowboys and was in their system for a couple years.

Just saying, it's never automatic that a UDFA or 7th round pick gets cut and doesn't get tagged by another team.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Ravens had a UDFA TE a few years ago...Brett Pierce. Went on to sign with the Cowboys and was in their system for a couple years.

Just saying, it's never automatic that a UDFA or 7th round pick gets cut and doesn't get tagged by another team.
    Furstenburg is from the East Coast. He played at Maryland. He signed as a UFA with the Ravens. There will be plenty of opportunity at the TE position next year. He will sign with the Ravens.

Re: Ravens sign Dallas Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    He wasn't even drafted. Who else would he sign with?
    As others have said, you never know, but it's usually the case that guys sign with the team they've been with. That's likely for several reasons: (1) teams have invested time in those guys, so they want to keep them and don't look elsewhere (2) similarly, the player is vested in the system and doesn't want to have to be behind the 8-ball and try and impress a new team while learning a new system and (3) there seems to be a bit of an unwritten rule to not poach PS-eligible guys at the final cutdown, unless it's for a spot on someone's 53 (it's obviously totally acceptable later, but for whatever reason, not at the initial filling out of the PS).

IMO, there is likely little chance that someone grabs Furstenberg. Not sure what exactly he's done over the last 2 months that would make team's that interested in him when they obviously weren't during the draft.

He's starting to strike me as this year's Nate Bolling/Derek Anderson/Jerome Sapp/Eron Riley/Tommy Streeter/etc. How did we live without those guys!!!! ;)
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

"Baby Pitta" will reign supreme!
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Here's a theoretical, just something to consider...

Furstenburg gets cut. Steelers just went on record that they don't plan to sign a TE, but Heath is still on PUP, Paulson is their starter. Suddenly, a guy who 1) looks pretty decent, 2) is healthy, and 3) just came off a camp with your division rival is available at TE. I'd bet dollars to donuts Steelers would make a run at signing him, and would be able to promise playing time in addition to making a roster. Generally, no one is going to turn down a shot to stick on a 53 man roster.

Not saying we have to keep him for that reason, but you can see that there ARE cases where he might not get to PSq.

Good point about him reaching Bolling/Riley level on the homerism.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Not saying we have to keep him for that reason, but you can see that there ARE cases where he might not get to PSq.
    True, there certainly are some TE-needy teams out there right now.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Here's a theoretical, just something to consider...

Furstenburg gets cut. Steelers just went on record that they don't plan to sign a TE, but Heath is still on PUP, Paulson is their starter. Suddenly, a guy who 1) looks pretty decent, 2) is healthy, and 3) just came off a camp with your division rival is available at TE. I'd bet dollars to donuts Steelers would make a run at signing him, and would be able to promise playing time in addition to making a roster. Generally, no one is going to turn down a shot to stick on a 53 man roster.

Good point about him reaching Bolling/Riley level on the homerism.

I understand there is a percentage of risk. There usually is with all roster decisions. There's a risk in allowing unrestricted free agents to test the market. There was a risk when the Ravens put just a 2nd round tender on Pitta.

The Ravens are not in rebuilding mode. They are again a legitimate Super Bowl contender. I'm not sure they should bypass improving an area of need with a veteran because they may lose an undrafted player (who has shown some potential) to another team.

Blog Entries

Furstenburg is from the East Coast. He played at Maryland. He signed as a UFA with the Ravens. There will be plenty of opportunity at the TE position next year. He will sign with the Ravens.
    He is also from Hunterdon County, NJ. He grew up a Giants fan.

I'm sure he likes it in Baltimore, but if he had the opportunity to play for his home team that he grew up on, why wouldn't he?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

The Ravens are not in rebuilding mode. They are again a legitimate Super Bowl contender. I'm not sure they should bypass improving an area of need with a veteran because they may lose an undrafted player (who has shown some potential) to another team.
    I agree that there is an effort to repeat. Furstenburg makes the team if they think he can perform this year. He won't be needed week one, but Shiancoe and Clark are older and it's a long season. Dickson has been nicked up a few times too. Either carry 4 (assuming all of the other 3 make the roster), or you release him and hope he doesn't get picked up off of waivers and put him on the practice squad. The Steelers and NE are probably lurking for a TE(despite whatever propaganda they are spreading) and he would be a vet minimum deal.

Ya know, I don't get why the NFL doesn't have a development league. Why should these players have to be stashed on practice squads, a small smattering of players, with the team having no protection or control on them? And then these guys just stagnate there and don't ever actually get to play games, or show what they're capable of. Shouldn't there be a development league so these guys can be kept under team control, and so they can actually play, gain experience, and show what they've got? It seems weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Ya know, I don't get why the NFL doesn't have a development league. Why should these players have to be stashed on practice squads, a small smattering of players, with the team having no protection or control on them? And then these guys just stagnate there and don't ever actually get to play games, or show what they're capable of. Shouldn't there be a development league so these guys can be kept under team control, and so they can actually play, gain experience, and show what they've got? It seems weird to me.
    They tried it before. Didn't make money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I just don't think adding Stokley and Clark will make a huge difference re: roster. If there are 2 young guys they really want to keep for the future they will find a way to keep them.

Stokley and Clark aren't even guaranteed a spot yet. They have to earn it.
    well they have to earn their spot, that much is true. Im also looking big picture and a guy theyre able to beat out this year, may give us more the next 3 than either of them do. When we watch these preseason games and our 2nd and 3rd string beat up on other teams, its because were that much deeper. which i think is part of the reason were continually a contender. Depth matters and those young guys moving up the chain is how you keep it that way.
    -JAB