Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Offense

Re: The Offense

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    When I think back to last season and acknowledge the struggles and the complaints following losses and some victories, it's was a common theme...The Offense. Mainly our passing game. To be even more specific the receivers. Our #1 receiver is tough, gritty with pretty good hands. But.....slow feet, struggled to get separation and most likely on the decline. Our #2 receiver has speed and can stretch the field. But....route running and hands are suspect. There's always hope he can learn these things, but a friend who was an all pro receiver in the league said to me "when a receiver doesn't have natural skills and thinks too much to compensate...the hands suffer." Meaning drops.

After the season the FO acknowledged the need. But their FA signings have been special teamers and DL depth. Cap reasons I'm sure. A receiver who is a project at best was drafted in the 6th round and because he doesn't/can't play special teams, might never suit up this year. What's left out on the market is a step back from what we currently have. Jacoby Jones is the best out there and he couldn't amount to shit with Andre Johnson on the other side of the field. Bottom line is it seems we are in store for another year of head scratching when it comes to this passing game. With the lack of moves to improve the receiving corps, are you guys confident that our passing game will improve? And why?
    It has nothing to do with the receivers

Nothing.

Nothing.

Not the receivers

Did I mention its not the receivers fault?

Its our 1960's style offense that has no creativity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    I hope you are right. Do you think the running game will be better without Grubbs and Ricky. Ricky was running the ball better than Ray in the playoffs IMO.
    The one thing that Ricky had going for him was that he was always fresh. That should translate well to whoever the new back-up is. However, Ricky was always decisive and stuck to the play. Rice does not always do that and there is no guarantee that the younger players will either.

If anything, we should expect the holes to be there.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    What success? A terrible season as the HC for the Dolphins, and holding Brees and Rivers back for years who have both gone on to be "elite" QB's since he left them.
    The last 4 QBs Cameron worked with prior to Flacco went from rookies to the Pro Bowl (Gus Frerotte, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers) or First Team All-American (Antwaan Randle El), under Cameron. His last three offenses in San Diego were top 5 in the league in scoring (#3, #5, #1).

That's "what success". Brees & Rivers made their first Pro Bowls under Cameron, not after he left.

It's also worth remembering that we thought he was awesome in 2008, when we had a rookie QB and a 3-headed RB.

Did you know that the most productive offense in Ravens history (highest points per game) was a tie between 2009 and 2003? In both years we scored 391 points (24.4 per game). Our OC in 2009 was Cam Cameron, in 2003 it was Matt Cavanaugh. Our next two highest-scoring years were 385 points (in 2008) and 378 points (in 2011), both Cameron years. So Cameron has been our offensive coordinator in the highest-scoring season we've ever had (2009), and 3 of our top 4 seasons, and 5 of our top 6.
    Code:
    Year	Pts	PPG	OC
    2009	391	24.4	Cameron
    2003	391	24.4	Cavanaugh
    2008	385	24.1	Cameron
    2011	378	23.6	Cameron
    1996	371	23.2	Marchibroda
    2010	357	22.3	Cameron
    2006	353	22.1	Fassel
    2000	333	20.8	Cavanaugh
    1997	326	20.4	Marchibroda
    1999	324	20.3	Cavanaugh
    2004	317	19.8	Cavanaugh
    2002	316	19.8	Cavanaugh
    2001	303	18.9	Cavanaugh
    2007	275	17.2	Billick
    1998	269	16.8	Marchibroda
    2005	265	16.6	Fassel
    We're in the middle of the best offensive era in Ravens history. But because we don't know what good offense looks like, we don't believe it.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 05-07-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Insulting Language

Blog Entries

I knew this would turn into another cam bashing thread.

How about the Oline; they have to hold the protection to allow patterns to develop or its more dump offs and quick slants/outs

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

RavingMad,

We can touch base with every area of the passing offense. We can start with the QB. Joe Flacco can still make improvements to his game. He can do a better job of holding onto the football in the pocket, to limit the fumbles. He can also try to use his legs more.

At the end of the day, though, Joe has shown that when the game is on the line, he can make the throws. More often than not, the past two to three years, the WRs have shown that they have struggled to catch them.

Look at the last four visits to Hines Field. In 2011, Joe Flacco made the throw that would have won the game, despite being under pressure. Torrey admittedly slowed up on the route, because he didn't think Flacco would get the ball out there. He saw that Flacco was under pressure and was going to rotate back to the ball, but suddenly saw that the ball was in the air. I can't knock Torrey for that. However, he should have made the catch. He did not make the catch, and Joe had to make the throw again. On the other side of the field, the second time. Torrey caught it and the Ravens won.

In the playoffs, Joe did not have a great game overall. He was late on some of his timing routes to Mason and had a bad interception, forcing a throw into double coverage. However, he showed the resiliency to help the offense recover from losing the deficit. There are plenty of QBs who would have completely crumbled after that. However, Joe kept his poise. He puts a throw between the hair and a LB that only Boldin could catch, but Boldin let it bounce off of his chest. That would have given the Ravens the lead, and there last offensive drive would have been for a winning field goal, rather than a TD. On that final drive, Flacco delivered a clutch fourth and long pass to T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who dropped it.

During the regular season that year, Joe Flacco threw a pass to T.J. Houshmandzadeh, which was caught. The Ravens won the game.

The year before, the Ravens were locked into another tight game with the Steelers. Joe Flacco had a decent game. Despite throwing an early interception he'd thrown two TDs and was driving to throw the third, which would have all, but clinched victory. He delivers the pass in the end zone to Derrick Mason, who lets it bounce off of his facemask. The Ravens lose.

So, when I look at him, I see a young QB, with plenty of room to grow, but who has shown that he is ready to make the throws to get this team over the top.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

When I look at Cam Cameron, I cannot completely blast the man, because I have not seen him get the opportunity to work with quality pieces for his system and I get the feeling that he is following orders.

To their credit they have tried to get those pieces for Cameron. However, the only one that seems to be a legitimate prospect is Torrey Smith. Ed Dickson was supposed to be that guy at TE, but his drops were worse than Torrey's. Lee Evans was supposed to start opposite Boldin, before eventually pairing with Torrey, moving Boldin to the slot. Evans got hurt and disappointed in the conference championship.

Blog Entries

With that in mind, I think the WRs are the main issue. There were plenty of times where Cameron called good plays on third down, late in games, to keep drives going, only to see someone drop and pass with the team having to punt the ball away. Ed Dickson was the main culprit.

I think that the passing will improve, naturally, with the growth of the players. If Joe Flacco continues to improve, that would be great. He should really be able to get some reps with the WRs this off-season, compared to last. Dennis Pitta should be the starter. That should help cut down on the dropped passes. Torrey has such a high ceiling that I am just having a difficult time imagining a situation where he does not improve. If the third WR ends up being Doss, what we know about him is that he does not drop the ball either.

Actually, another poster brought up a great point about Doss. I remember seeing Doss do a much better job of catching the ball, last preseason, than Torrey. We were actually debating whether or not Doss should see more of the field, because it didn't seem to be clicking for Torrey. Suddenly, Lee Evans is acquired and Doss goes down the depth chart. The St. Louis game arrives after Evans is deactivated and Torrey scores three TDs. Later in the game, it looked like Doss would score his first, but he stumbles out of his cut and can't catch up to the ball. The Ravens had to settle for a field goal.

8. Re: The Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I knew this would turn into another cam bashing thread.

How about the Oline; they have to hold the protection to allow patterns to develop or its more dump offs and quick slants/outs
    It wouldn't be a thread about the Ravens offense without that.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Great points guys. My intentions was to keep this about the receivers. Flacco like EX said has room for growth but I will give him the benefit of the doubt and put this more on the personnel around him.

No one, minus ignorance or bias can ignore the success Cam had as an OC with San Diego. His detractors point to the personnel for San Diego's success. So deduction tells me the scheme can be very successful with the right personnel. Especially since variations of that scheme are still successful today.

From reading some your responses I'm more optimistic about the emergence of Pitta and Dickinson working underneath. I still have serious questions and doubts about Doss.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    The last 4 QBs Cameron worked with prior to Flacco went from rookies to the Pro Bowl (Gus Frerotte, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers) or First Team All-American (Antwaan Randle El), under Cameron. His last three offenses in San Diego were top 5 in the league in scoring (#3, #5, #1).

That's "what success". Brees & Rivers made their first Pro Bowls under Cameron, not after he left.

It's also worth remembering that we thought he was awesome in 2008, when we had a rookie QB and a 3-headed RB.

Did you know that the most productive offense in Ravens history (highest points per game) was a tie between 2009 and 2003? In both years we scored 391 points (24.4 per game). Our OC in 2009 was Cam Cameron, in 2003 it was Matt Cavanaugh. Our next two highest-scoring years were 385 points (in 2008) and 378 points (in 2011), both Cameron years. So Cameron has been our offensive coordinator in the highest-scoring season we've ever had (2009), and 3 of our top 4 seasons, and 5 of our top 6.
    Code:
    Year	Pts	PPG	OC
    2009	391	24.4	Cameron
    2003	391	24.4	Cavanaugh
    2008	385	24.1	Cameron
    2011	378	23.6	Cameron
    1996	371	23.2	Marchibroda
    2010	357	22.3	Cameron
    2006	353	22.1	Fassel
    2000	333	20.8	Cavanaugh
    1997	326	20.4	Marchibroda
    1999	324	20.3	Cavanaugh
    2004	317	19.8	Cavanaugh
    2002	316	19.8	Cavanaugh
    2001	303	18.9	Cavanaugh
    2007	275	17.2	Billick
    1998	269	16.8	Marchibroda
    2005	265	16.6	Fassel
    We're in the middle of the best offensive era in Ravens history. But because we don't know what good offense looks like, we don't believe it.
    Good info. It seems many believe his year with the Dolphins was his first year in the NFL.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 05-07-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The one thing that Ricky had going for him was that he was always fresh. That should translate well to whoever the new back-up is. However, Ricky was always decisive and stuck to the play. Rice does not always do that and there is no guarantee that the younger players will either.

If anything, we should expect the holes to be there.
    Worried about that left side to be honest with you. McKinnie played so much better with Grubbs vs Gurode. I hope the adjustment to a new LG is made and those holes are still there.

Last year Boldin was playing hurt, Smith was a rookie, also hurt, both needed surgury. Evans was hurt almost all year long. Dickson and Pitta were 1st time regulars. Just a healthy start should upgrade the WR unit. It was pretty much a mess last year due to all the injuries and inexperience. The OL was also a lot less than 100% after looking pretty good and potentially dominant week 1.

Overall last year the word I would use to describe the O is inconsistant. Sometimes they were overpowering and clutch in big games, other times they looked terrible vs inferior teams. This year if they can not have the horrible offensive games and still produce the clutch drives and good games, they should be a top 10 O.

:T2: