Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    It's a terrible reflection on our learning institutions in this country. Having said that, Ray is no worse then some, and better then many.
    Did you mean to put a smiley face after that? If so, THEN I completely understand.

:)

Blog Entries

If Michael Irvin has evolved to the level he has from where he started, then Ray will be sitting on the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by CA Raven View Post
    To be fair, all of these ex-athletes stumble over their words or say things that are grammatically incorrect. I've heard Steve Young say things that made me shake my head. My issue is that Ray has apparently been slotted as the pimp for the defensive side in contrast to the takes that Dilfer and Young have. It's all very formulaic and so typical of ESPN. In other words, barely watchable. Doesn't matter who it is: Mark Schlereth, Brian Dawkins, Herm Edwards, etc. Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada..... It's all Hot Air Central.
    Mark Schlereth is legit, love that guy. Just look up Mark Schlereth NFL rules rant on YouTube and you'll see why.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Did you mean to put a smiley face after that? If so, THEN I completely understand.

:)
    You beat me to it! People on here complaining about Ray's speech and they're making errors themselves.

than = used for comparisons
    then = used for time
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

RAY LEWIS - YOU HAVE A GPA OF 0.00. YOUR GRADES WILL BE SENT TO YOUR LOCAL
    DRAFT BOARD. YEA DEAN, BUT HALF THE FRAT DIDN'T MAKE GRADES.

ENJOY THE WAR. - DEAN WORMER

Not really. He made the Dean's list here.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-74029277.html
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 09-26-2013 at 11:40 PM.

It's a terrible reflection on our learning institutions in this country.
    Yes, because a few jocks who butcher some sentences here and there are representative in any given year of the millions of college graduates who speak and use the English language appropriately and accurately.

These athlete's are here to give their opinion from the heart (allegedly) so does being grammatically perfect like James Brown or Curt Menefee matter? Lavar Arrington and Terry Bradshaw butcher the English language in an attempt to get their point across yet are wildly popular both regionally and nationally. Guys like Emmitt were dumped not because of their delivery but the fact that they brought absolutely nothing to the table. Same goes for Jerry Rice who was not quite as grammatically bad as Emmitt but delivered next to nothing.

To the OP, I have to say that you proven a leopard can't change its spots.

Let's just say that your posts just like on the old sunspot board have a rush to it.

Blog Entries

It's a terrible reflection on our learning institutions in this country. Having said that, Ray is no worse then some, and better then many.
    I'll put Ernest Hemingway, F Scott Fitzgerald, and Mark Twain up against any other 3 writers from another country.

Poor grammar is everywhere, not just out of Ray's mouth. Heck, listen to the professional broadcasters, the ones that went to school specifically for speaking English properly, and count how many times they end sentences with prepositions. It's unfortunately the sign of the times. It wasn't that long ago that gentlemen would never wear a hat indoors; now you regularly see it - even during meals. I don't do it and don't care for it, but it is what it is and I accept it.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr OC View Post
    Poor grammar is everywhere, not just out of Ray's mouth. Heck, listen to the professional broadcasters, the ones that went to school specifically for speaking English properly, and count how many times they end sentences with prepositions. It's unfortunately the sign of the times. It wasn't that long ago that gentlemen would never wear a hat indoors; now you regularly see it - even during meals. I don't do it and don't care for it, but it is what it is and I accept it.
    Exspecially is not a word.
    Conversate is not a word.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Exspecially is not a word.
    Conversate is not a word.
    Let's add "trickeration" to that list, that's often used by broadcasters.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Let's add "trickeration" to that list, that's often used by broadcasters.
    As is "matriculate"...unlike the others, it is a word, but its definition doesn't fit the football meaning for which it is used.