Thoughts: Need better protection, go 3 WR, bench Ogden, good for DVD

My thoughts on this game:

1) Pass Protection was putrid 1st half, leading to Boller throwing under pressure. Ogden needs to be benched for Terry, Terry needs to go from his current RT spot to his natural spot at RT, and Yanda needs to start.

Honestly, I've almost given up on your average fan understanding that the game is won in the trenches, but the coaches at least should know this. Tom Brady has all the time in the world but our QB 1st half yesterday was DOA on any 5 step drop

2) Go Shotgun 3 WRs. THe o-line isn't great at protecting, so this gives Boller more time to make his reads and get rid of it, hopefully accurately. At this point, with this group of talent (no more Jamal) I'd like to see i-form go the way of the do-do unless we have a 2 possession lead. Its clear that Boller is more comfortable shotgun 3 WRs and that we're more explosive from that formation

3) Good to see DVD get something going. However, we need a new WRs coach. I can't believe its taken him this long. Even then, he didn't fight for the 1st vertical ball Boller threw him.

4) McGahee can pick up a rusher, can't he? Thats probably what impresses me most so far this year. I can also see Boller more comfortable back in the pocket when McGahee is there to pick up that extra guy.

Overall, its a shame Billick's time management gave the Browns a Miracle chance to tie it. I honestly think that if we can get the offense going liek this to begin a game by using the formation that now works best for us (Shotgun 3 WR)

I think that wins against San Diego and the colts are very possible. Sadly, because we couldn't pull out this game AND McNair threw away about 3 previous to this, the playoffs are officially dead for us.

I'm decently happy with Boller. Can't say he's the longterms solution, but couldn't tell if ANYONE was the longterm solution when the o-line is playing as shitty as they played the 1st half.

Re: Thoughts: Need better protection, go 3 WR, bench Ogden, good for DVD

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    2) Go Shotgun 3 WRs. THe o-line isn't great at protecting, so this gives Boller more time to make his reads and get rid of it, hopefully accurately. At this point, with this group of talent (no more Jamal) I'd like to see i-form go the way of the do-do unless we have a 2 possession lead. Its clear that Boller is more comfortable shotgun 3 WRs and that we're more explosive from that formation
    That definitely seems to be a league wide trend. It also forces 3rd string corners out there. Plus Quinn/Heap/Wlicox/McClain can still be on the field.

I also would love to see that really great checkdown that the colts and pats use. Pass protect, then if it's picked up and the back slides out of the backfield and stands right in front of the QB about 5-7 yards downfield. It's one of the best checkdowns I've seen. Even better since the defense has to cover 3-4 other receivers. Might be a year before this gets seen though as the young line needs a little help back there.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    3) Good to see DVD get something going. However, we need a new WRs coach. I can't believe its taken him this long. Even then, he didn't fight for the 1st vertical ball Boller threw him.
    I disagree, we got our current WR coach, Mike Johnson, in 2006. WRs look pretty good to me since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post
    I disagree, we got our current WR coach, Mike Johnson, in 2006. WRs look pretty good to me since then.

I forgot that we switched. That makes sense that our WRs have gotten better since 2006.

Good thing we got him. Maybe there is hope for DVD.

Darling has a lot of proving to do. One great game against one of the worst defenses in the league is not enough to make a career on. It is a great start, but can he keep it up?
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

The most important thing in this post is the talk about the OL! Watching a Pats game is like watching another brand of football. The Qb is able to run the game because the line gives him on average TWICE the time our OL gives our QB. Our expectations have been lowered! We talk about them improving... yada yada yada... but in reality, they are PUTRID!!!!

I guess the QB play was fine.

PP