Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wildcat

Blog Entries

Re: Wildcat

With is this line? Flacco and Taylor could go down on the same play. Who the fuck is going to QB then?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    With is this line? Flacco and Taylor could go down on the same play. Who the fuck is going to QB then?
    This is the epitome of pessimism.

I'd like to see us use Tyrod Taylor's versatility more. I liked when we were bringing Troy Smith into the game in Flacco's early years. If not for anything else, he could just be used as a decoy.

Quote Originally Posted by BSHU View Post
    This is the epitome of realism.
    Fixed it for you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If you can't execute a gimmick isn't going to help.
    :word

Also it is worth noting that Harbaugh's Ravens have never used trick plays in a game that was in doubt. Historically, they show one or two of them versus inferior opponents, when things are well in hand & they are confident that the play will work successfully (or could have except for some extraneous factor). The rationale is to force future opponents to spend practice time & thought preparing to counter those plays, which the Ravens spend no time or effort preparing because they have no intention of using them. That's the way Harbs rolls, folks.

He's played inconsistently and at times downright poorly this year, but Joe Flacco is the Ravens' best offensive player. Why would anyone advocate taking the ball out of their best player's hands? Why do people in Baltimore have a backup QB obsession? Tyrod Taylor is not the solution to a single problem the Ravens have right now.

The Wildcat is a stupid package that doesn't belong in the NFL. The only reason it ever works is that it occasionally tricks dumb DCs like Dean Pees. How about the Ravens just doing a better damn job on offense? How about blocking somebody every play, instead of standing around doing nothing?

Man, I don't know why this suggestion makes me so angry. No disrespect to the OP, I guess it just upsets me that we're even at a point as fans where we're asking for something like the Wildcat. Just goes to show how frustrating this team is.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    He's played inconsistently and at times downright poorly this year, but Joe Flacco is the Ravens' best offensive player. Why would anyone advocate taking the ball out of their best player's hands? Why do people in Baltimore have a backup QB obsession? Tyrod Taylor is not the solution to a single problem the Ravens have right now.

The Wildcat is a stupid package that doesn't belong in the NFL. The only reason it ever works is that it occasionally tricks dumb DCs like Dean Pees. How about the Ravens just doing a better damn job on offense? How about blocking somebody every play, instead of standing around doing nothing?

Man, I don't know why this suggestion makes me so angry. No disrespect to the OP, I guess it just upsets me that we're even at a point as fans where we're asking for something like the Wildcat. Just goes to show how frustrating this team is.
    you missed the point its ok. ill summarize for you. i wasn't suggesting replacing flacco with tyrod, i suggested putting in the wildcat (10 or so plays) on running downs to help the running game gain more than 0-1 yards that we are currently gaining with runs up the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If you can't execute a gimmick isn't going to help.
    Agreed.

No gimmicks needed..

This offense has had some modest success in the passing game, and ZERO success in the running game.

And yet the coaching staff seems hell-bent on "keeping the offense balanced" and "getting Ray touches". Well what they hell good do those "touches" do, if every play the RB runs into the center's ass and falls to the ground for a loss of one?

Screw balance... quick slants and sideline routes in the passing game work. Do it until the other team proves they can stop it. Stop wasting a play or two per series watching Rice and Pierce getting tackled in the backfield. Pass first... pass again... pass some more. Quick passes... Touch passes...

The passing game will open up the running game... but not until they can put consistent drives together... (which means we need to quit wasting first down on fruitless runs up the middle).

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    you missed the point its ok. ill summarize for you. i wasn't suggesting replacing flacco with tyrod, i suggested putting in the wildcat (10 or so plays) on running downs to help the running game gain more than 0-1 yards that we are currently gaining with runs up the middle.
    Oh, I totally get that. But 10 plays with Tyrod taking the snap are 10 less plays with Flacco taking the snap, and the Ravens are a much worse team in those 10 snaps. Tyrod isn't actually that good of a runner outside of QB scrambles and he can't pass the football at an NFL level.

The Wildcat is a bad package and it's even worse when you have an OL that doesn't run block well and doesn't communicate well. I also don't see how it helps your run game at all... there's no connection between running the ball out of the wildcat and running the ball better overall.

I understood your point, but I disagree with it and it disappoints me because NFL offenses need to just go out and play NFL football and be better. The Wildcat is what you run when you don't have a QB, like the Dolphins a few years ago or the Jets right now.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Oh, I totally get that. But 10 plays with Tyrod taking the snap are 10 less plays with Flacco taking the snap, and the Ravens are a much worse team in those 10 snaps. Tyrod isn't actually that good of a runner outside of QB scrambles and he can't pass the football at an NFL level.

The Wildcat is a bad package and it's even worse when you have an OL that doesn't run block well and doesn't communicate well. I also don't see how it helps your run game at all... there's no connection between running the ball out of the wildcat and running the ball better overall.

I understood your point, but I disagree with it and it disappoints me because NFL offenses need to just go out and play NFL football and be better. The Wildcat is what you run when you don't have a QB, like the Dolphins a few years ago or the Jets right now.
    ok maybe i should of called it the tyrod package and not wildcat. last year vs the bengals the tyord package worked well as we ran for 206 yards against them. the tyrod package makes the defense account for a few more things because he can hand it off, keep it, pitch it or throw it. so the defense has to think of a bunch of options during the play and that can open up the running lanes if the D misses its assignment. i see the positives outweigh the negatives here and i think it should be run on 5-8 plays (10 might be too many)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...5135/#boxscore

Iggy, you're still missing the big picture. If the offensive line can't execute their blocking assignments no package will work properly. The issue isn't the packages as much as the execution of the packages they already have.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaStevez View Post
    Iggy, you're still missing the big picture. If the offensive line can't execute their blocking assignments no package will work properly. The issue isn't the packages as much as the execution of the packages they already have.
    ok so lets stick with the zbs and get the same results