Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlon Brown

Re: Marlon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Y'all should have an injury caveat. Bet should be null and void if either have a catastrophic injury.
    I don't think so. The bet stands as is. Either Dickson and Clark combine for 50 catches, or they don't. If Clark doesn't make the team, or if Dickson gets hurt (or more hurt than he already is), or if Clark gets hurt...'sway it goes.
    Last edited by RavensRule21215; 08-24-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Marlon had a good game, and it pleases me to see one of the young WR's raising the bar. Hopefully the others take notice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    My big thing with WR's has always been this: I don't care how tall they are, or what their 40 time is, or how high they can jump. For me, they need to (1) run the right route, (2) run the right route, (3) run the right route, (4) catch when thrown to, (5) have enough short area burst to get open, (6) have enough strength/technique to get off press coverage when needed.

Did I mention "run the right route"?

Rookies and inexperienced players tend to fail at this part of the game until they master the playbook and reads. Which makes them dangerous, because even if they're good players, they can still single handedly lose you a game running one wrong route.

Like, say, what Tandon Doss did the other night.

We know rookies will do this. It's part of life. But vets should not. This is why guys like Stokely or Rod Smith or Derrick Mason, etc., lasted as long as they did -- they ran the right route and caught the ball when it hit their hands. Amazing how that works. How so many guys who don't have the height, the 40 time, etc. are so productive in the NFL. I've griped for years at how NFL teams evaluate WRs by overvaluing the wrong things. Anyway....

So my conclusion is this: if Doss is just as likely as Brown or Mellette to blow a game running the wrong play anyway, then let's give those guys a shot. He's had two years already, still makes rookie mistakes AND isn't productive. At least with Brown, and Mellette (and even Deonte, hopefully if he can get healthy) we have the upside, and who knows, maybe they're sharper than Doss and WON'T screw up.

The more I look at that route he ran the other night, the more I shake my head. Then his comment afterward "Joe and I just need to get on the same page, that's on both of us" I thought, what? No it is NOT on "both of" you. And you and Joe don't need to get on the same page. YOU need to get on HIS page, dude. He's the 120 million dollar Super Bowl winning QB, you are the 3rd year guy who's never done crap.

So I hope they keep Brown over Doss; after reading about how hard Harbs recruited Brown and the 3 year deal he signed (which I didn't know about till yesterday) my view is that not only has Brown looked the part of the #4 WR, the team may also have enough investment in him to where they might -- God forbid -- actually admit they screwed up on a 4th round pick 3 years ago and cut the guy who clearly isn't getting it done in favor of the guy who does appear to be getting it done.
    :word I particularly agree with the part about Doss's statement that the INT was on both of them. That just made me more disappointed in him. And Harbs is not likely to be thrilled by what he said either, to say nothing of Joe. Joe showed good leadership by going back to Doss on the next drive, but like many here, I think Doss has lost Joe's trust.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    And...especially considering your screen name...what about that 1979 classic "Apocalypse Now"?
    The final scene might sum up the Ravens' WR situation:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    Marlon had a good game, and it pleases me to see one of the young WR's raising the bar. Hopefully the others take notice.
    I was really impressed with how smooth Brown looked running his routes. This situation isn't too big for him. I guess that is an advantage of playing in the SEC. He has played in big games before. Brown has already shown me more than Doss ever has. Brown not only needs to be on the 53 man roster, he needs to get playing time during the regular season. Remember, Priest Holmes was an UFA as well. Just like Brown, he hurt his knee in his last year in college, which caused him to drop off of draft boards. Brown could be our Colston.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    The final scene might sum up the Ravens' WR situation:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    If i can recall i never remember Eron Riley beating Cmac, Samari shit not even Fabian Washington. Brown has beaten couple of our starting corners in camp already.
    So has Doss, more consistently... Whats your point?
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    So has Doss, more consistently... Whats your point?
    If Doss had been doing it consistently we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Blog Entries

Thank you.

The more I look at that route he ran the other night, the more I shake my head. Then his comment afterward "Joe and I just need to get on the same page, that's on both of us" I thought, what? No it is NOT on "both of" you. And you and Joe don't need to get on the same page. YOU need to get on HIS page, dude. He's the 120 million dollar Super Bowl winning QB, you are the 3rd year guy who's never done crap.

Bingo.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Beating our corners in practice was the statement... And he has been for the past 3 years.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Beating our corners in practice was the statement... And he has been for the past 3 years.
    Then why aren't there reports coming out of training camp that he's been distinguishing himself in practice? The reports are the exact opposite -- that he has not distinguished himself in practice. Hence, my statement -- that if he had, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.