Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Pro's Take: Y'all Must-A-4-Got! 'X-Factor' Troy Smith MUST GET A SHOT! (The Anderson Effect)

StingerNLG, I can't say that I've got concrete proof I can provide right now on stuff that happened 11 years ago. That's a little ambitious even for me.

On the old message board, some of us didn't care for the Scott Mitchell acquisition. We all had our varying opinions and I won't waste either of our time defending something I can't prove with 100% indisputable evidence.

For the sake of argument, I'll preclude your observations with the words 'Rumor has it', that way we all know to take it all with a grain of salt and not literally. Hopefully that ends any misunderstands, cause I'm the first one to admit any misnomers.

The observations that I make are simply my own opinion. If everyone here had to present concrete evidence towards everything that they post, it'd probably be alot less posts if you know what I mean.

Back to the basis of the preceding post. IMO, Billick has always struck me as a measurables kind of evaluator. The only times he's gotten past that is when there has been indisputable evidence to the contrary, I.E. with Steve McNair.

McNair is what, 6'2 which is shorter than his previously hand-picked starting QB's like Mitchell, Grbac, Banks and the like.

Whenever a guy on the Ravens roster that doesn't fit the traditional mold at QB it's probably because he's played his way into that position. And just as well, he most likely also played his way out. (except for Trent Dilfer, of course)

So I figure that in order for this scenario to play itself out and allow Smith to show us what he's got, Boller's gonna have to TANK in the Dolphins game.

Now everyone knows that I'm not one of those fans who wishes that my team would lose for draft position.

But most of the so-called experts do agree that the Dolphins best chance of winning at least one game this year will be when they play the Ravens at home on Sunday.

They've already let it be known that instead of playing John Beck whom most think they're grooming for the future, they're playing 3-year veteran Cleo Lemon.

Not that it makes that huge of a difference against our defense (when healthy), but what that tells me is that they're trying to get at least one win and the three-year-vet gives them their best chance of accomplishing that task.

In essence, their desperation along with the Ravens offensive ineptitude and home field advantage arguably gives them their best shot at getting a 'W' on Sunday more so than against any other opponent they face for the remainder of the season.

There's the Ravens on Sunday, the Patriots and the Bengals. Clearly if you're gonna blow your load in an attempt to get a win against any of these three teams, it's gonna be against our team.

Heck, the Ravens had better have the same mindset with two remaining game against Seattle and Pittsburgh. It's gonna be one of those games where both teams realize that against the guys lined up on the other side of the field this Sunday; that's their best chance of gettin a win this season.

That being said, if Boller implodes and allows a friggin winless team to get one against my team... I don't even wanna think about that... but if it were to happen they'd have to consider playing Smith at least a couple of series here and there.

Oh to be a fly on the wall at the Castle during meetings man. What, is the kid nodding off at meetings or something? Is he stinkin up the joint in practice?

Rarely do you hear anything in regards to how he's been progressing throughout the year so I haven't a clue.

When Billick was asked whether or not Troy would start this week, Billick kinda snickered and said that Kyle was the starter and he gives them their best chance to win.

The way he said it was almost in a condensending manner, as if it was kinda funny that anyone would think that Smith was anywhere near ready to lead an offensive attack in the NFL. (don't crucify me, it's only my observations and opinions)

Did anyone else get that impression? I just hope that we as fans at least get the chance to see the kid do his thing before the season's over with. Who knows what he can do in a live situation until he's actually in a live situation?

Just my opinion.-Pro-

Re: Pro's Take: Y'all Must-A-4-Got! 'X-Factor' Troy Smith MUST GET A SHOT! (The Anderson Effect)

I do not think anyone is calling him the savior of the team Stinger. I along with many people just want to see him get a start. If he turns out to be no better than our other option, at least the questions would be answered.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Re: Pro's Take: Y'all Must-A-4-Got! 'X-Factor' Troy Smith MUST GET A SHOT! (The Anderson Effect)

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    I do not think anyone is calling him the savior of the team Stinger. I along with many people just want to see him get a start. If he turns out to be no better than our other option, at least the questions would be answered.

Before I say anything, let me say I agree Troy Smith should be getting more time, and soon

But for the people who are in the "Give me Troy Smith or give me death" camp, and the "Brian Billick should be fired no matter what" camp, there's a few reasons why you're being knee jerk

1) The whole team played badly against the colts, and we were missing our top two corners. McGahee fumbled on his 1st series. If we're going knee jerk reactions, we should bench him for Mike Anderson, cut C-Mac and Rolle, etc etc. The key is, there is not reason to jerk the knee. This team has had issues this season that don't go back to one player and IF you wanted to put it back on one player, it would be Steve McNair.

2) We have a game to win against a winless team. For many reasons, you don't go into that game with Troy Smith as your QB. Why Bollerize Troy Smith by letting him make a rookie mistake against a bad team? If anything, let Boller f*ck up before you put in Smith.

3) We have coaches and players playing for their jobs. While to many a fan this season is now dead, and it is, coaches and players are playing for their jobs/contracts. Can you be sure to get a good read on the abilities of Devard Darling, Dan Wilcox, Quinn Sypnewski, Chris Chester, etc when you're "trying out" Troy Smith? I dont know if you can.

4) We were just comign off a very dissapointing and very BS loss to the Patriots, which was after a BS loss to the Browns. Let me make it clear the refs screwed us both of those games. Rules should matter. But they apparently don't if you're the ravens. The whole team played flat against the Colts, not just one player.

Overall, Troy Smith should get some playing time late in these final games. The fact is, however, that other than fan satisfaction and some cursory experience for Troy, you're not going to get much out of playing him this season.

The likelyhood is that Troy only has a chance to stick with this team if its him v Boller next year. If we draft another QB high, or get a FA like McNabb, Smith has no future with this team, and Boller doesn't either. The only way EITHER has a future here is if they are the two men battling it out come Mini-Camps and such.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post

1) The whole team played badly against the colts, and we were missing our top two corners. McGahee fumbled on his 1st series. If we're going knee jerk reactions, we should bench him for Mike Anderson, cut C-Mac and Rolle, etc etc. The key is, there is not reason to jerk the knee. This team has had issues this season that don't go back to one player and IF you wanted to put it back on one player, it would be Steve McNair.

2) We have a game to win against a winless team. For many reasons, you don't go into that game with Troy Smith as your QB. Why Bollerize Troy Smith by letting him make a rookie mistake against a bad team? If anything, let Boller f*ck up before you put in Smith.

3) We have coaches and players playing for their jobs. While to many a fan this season is now dead, and it is, coaches and players are playing for their jobs/contracts. Can you be sure to get a good read on the abilities of Devard Darling, Dan Wilcox, Quinn Sypnewski, Chris Chester, etc when you're "trying out" Troy Smith? I dont know if you can.

1.) McGahee hasn't been a problem this team. Lack of preparedness, discipline, QB play, and the playcalling have. I don't think people here are going with kneejerk reactions because of one game. It's been the whole season. There were a lot of knee jerk reactions when McNair sucked, as there should have been.

On a side note, how is most of the blame of this season supposed to go on McNair's shoulders? He HAS BEEN terrible, yes. Boller has been better, but not by much, and hasn't given anyone any indication he'll ever be good. Steve hasn't even played half of the games. Why all of the sudden do we need to make all these improvements, when you were saying 2 months ago it was all Steve's fault? You know, I could make an arrogant statement also if you'd like Dave, "If Steve McNair is the where you would put the blame of our season on, then I would put the blame of 2003 - 2005 on Kyle Boller.".....

You know, like I've said 20 times in the past 3 days, it's funny how 2 months ago it was all McNair's fault, becnh him, he sucks, blah blah blah....All of the sudden Billick sucks, the OLINE sucks, the receivers suck, etc. Now it's the whole team losing, and not just McNair...It's funny, it really is.

2.) Smith starting against Miami versus Boller starting is a completely different situation, and you know that. Don't even compare the two. Oh, and just because Boller has a problem with his psyche, or had his psyche ruined when he started in 2003, doesn't mean every QB that ever starts early is going to automatically suck or lose their "psyche". In fact, that is quite the bullshit excuse thrown around for awhile. Personally, I'd want a QB that can deal with shit, and not have to worry about his "psyche" getting hurt.

So explain what does a great game for Boller vs Miami do for us? Does it show growth? Are we going to find out something new about Boller? If Troy starts the game, and has significant problems, with the overall feel for the game, and such that would be useful information. It would tell the FO : a.) Troy sucks, we need a QB in the 1st / 2nd round...that's unless Smith gets a deal like Boller, suck for 5 years, and still get to start...

3.) If Troy plays well, then maybe Billick lets him play out the season, and that "might" change our draft strategy. Troy isn't other any pressure to lead the team to glory. And Troy Smith is also playing for his job. He hasn't been given time to shine, like Quinn, Darling, Chester, and Wilcox. Coach's son needs more reps against a winless team I guess. How exactly did we get to see the full potential of half of our other plays when we were "trying Boller out" the past 5 years????

Believe me, I am not annointing Smith any type of savior. I just do not see a point in Boller starting, I really don't. It proves nothing anymore. What exactly do we have to lose with Smith starting? I don't want mop-up duty, I would like to see Smith attempt to lead the offense, when the game is just starting, or in a critical situation...
    Last edited by copenhaggard; 12-12-2007 at 12:01 PM.
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...

This is a great thread! I have to say that the funny thing is that I just read a mock draft at yahoo (who took it from collegefootball.rivals.com) and they have the Ravens taking in the first round:

8. Baltimore (4-9)
    The Pick: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

And in the second round:
    39. Baltimore
    The Pick: Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii

NOW if this were the case would that mean Troy was never meant to be? Or is the goal to have two young QB as to one old and one young?
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia.
    -xmradiodave 9/13/08

Quote Originally Posted by copenhaggard View Post
    1.) McGahee hasn't been a problem this team. Lack of preparedness, discipline, QB play, and the playcalling have. I don't think people here are going with kneejerk reactions because of one game. It's been the whole season. There were a lot of knee jerk reactions when McNair sucked, as there should have been.

On a side note, how is most of the blame of this season supposed to go on McNair's shoulders? He HAS BEEN terrible, yes. Boller has been better, but not by much, and hasn't given anyone any indication he'll ever be good. Steve hasn't even played half of the games. Why all of the sudden do we need to make all these improvements, when you were saying 2 months ago it was all Steve's fault? You know, I could make an arrogant statement also if you'd like Dave, "If Steve McNair is the where you would put the blame of our season on, then I would put the blame of 2003 - 2005 on Kyle Boller.".....

You know, like I've said 20 times in the past 3 days, it's funny how 2 months ago it was all McNair's fault, becnh him, he sucks, blah blah blah....All of the sudden Billick sucks, the OLINE sucks, the receivers suck, etc. Now it's the whole team losing, and not just McNair...It's funny, it really is.

2.) Smith starting against Miami versus Boller starting is a completely different situation, and you know that. Don't even compare the two. Oh, and just because Boller has a problem with his psyche, or had his psyche ruined when he started in 2003, doesn't mean every QB that ever starts early is going to automatically suck or lose their "psyche". In fact, that is quite the bullshit excuse thrown around for awhile. Personally, I'd want a QB that can deal with shit, and not have to worry about his "psyche" getting hurt.

So explain what does a great game for Boller vs Miami do for us? Does it show growth? Are we going to find out something new about Boller? If Troy starts the game, and has significant problems, with the overall feel for the game, and such that would be useful information. It would tell the FO : a.) Troy sucks, we need a QB in the 1st / 2nd round...that's unless Smith gets a deal like Boller, suck for 5 years, and still get to start...

3.) If Troy plays well, then maybe Billick lets him play out the season, and that "might" change our draft strategy. Troy isn't other any pressure to lead the team to glory. And Troy Smith is also playing for his job. He hasn't been given time to shine, like Quinn, Darling, Chester, and Wilcox. Coach's son needs more reps against a winless team I guess. How exactly did we get to see the full potential of half of our other plays when we were "trying Boller out" the past 5 years????

Believe me, I am not annointing Smith any type of savior. I just do not see a point in Boller starting, I really don't. It proves nothing anymore. What exactly do we have to lose with Smith starting? I don't want mop-up duty, I would like to see Smith attempt to lead the offense, when the game is just starting, or in a critical situation...
    with everything you said. Right now, the only player I think that still needs "evaluating" is Smith. If we are to believe Billick's presser the team isn't expected to change much next season so apparently they've already evaluated everybody. Absolutely nothing can be gained by playing Boller except a comparitively meaningless win against the worst team in the NFL. Big deal! I'd rather use the rest of this season to get all of the young guys playing time.
    AZRAVEN

[

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    Ummm, I went back to my response to Pro, and I couldn't see anywhere in which I said anything about Troy Smith. I was specifically responding to the parts about Brian Billick being able to hand-pick his players.

Something that was still not answered.

Quote Originally Posted by AZRAVEN View Post
    with everything you said. Right now, the only player I think that still needs "evaluating" is Smith. If we are to believe Billick's presser the team isn't expected to change much next season so apparently they've already evaluated everybody. Absolutely nothing can be gained by playing Boller except a comparitively meaningless win against the worst team in the NFL. Big deal! I'd rather use the rest of this season to get all of the young guys playing time.
    I don't care about the Troy Smith one way or another, but in the NFL there is NO SUCH THING as a meaningless win. If that were the case, then considering the Ravens record before Sunday night, the Colts game was a meaningless loss.

Wins are important to a team at anytime. I'm pretty sure the Dolphins won't view this as a meaningless win if they do. The Patriots locked the entire AFC up, and they view none of their last games as meaningless.

We need a win. More important, we need a win on the road. The fact that it's the Dolphins just means it is a game we SHOULD win.

Are you prepared to lose this game just to try out Troy Smith? Are you prepared to be the ONE team this year the Dolphins beat on their way to 0-16?

I am absolutely sure the Ravens or their players don't.

The problem with starting him (Troy Smith) against Miami is that if we lost that game with him at the helm, you can basically consider his career in Baltimore finished before it began.

If anything, you and anyone rooting for Smith should HOPE Boller starts against Miami win, lose, or draw, because the ramifications are too large

Its not just a meaningless win. Its a win against a team everyone has been able to beat up until this point. They are winless. If we lose the game, I wouldn't be suprised to see Billick fired. Right now.

And so, if there is any game we SHOULDN'T want Troy Smith to start its against Miami. Because you don't need to Bollerize this guy. Let him get some mop up time where he can, and get ready to compete next year IF we don't get a FA or draft QB

Because, again, any FA QB or highly drafted QB is a vote of no confidence in Troy and Boller.

Troy starting and potentially losing to Miami would just help his career be more Dead On Arrival that it already was coming to Baltimore, the graveyard for QBs careers, young and old

Maybe its because the 1st game McNair was under center the team was healthy. C-mac and Rolle started. Pryce started. Defensively, we were at full strength. Heap played. We had Spiderman. And McNair blew it with a billion fumbles. It was a winnable division game. He also blew games against the Brownies and Pittspuke.

I think everyone knows that, lets say, if McNair had started against the Patriots that game would have been done before it started.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post

I think everyone knows that, lets say, if McNair had started against the Patriots that game would have been done before it started.
    Yes, because Boller would've won some of the other games McNair lost also. And if he lost, you'd blame someone else, as usual...

Since you're going to spout the same old stuff as usual, I'll leave you with this:

I think everyone knows that, lets say, if Boller had started against the Colts (last year) that game would have been done before it started.

Prove me wrong...
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...

I think everyone knows that, lets say, if Boller had started against the Colts (last year) that game would have been done before it started.

Prove me wrong...
    2 TD's, 24 points vs. New England 2 weeks ago.

And up until this year, Boller was almost unbeatable at home.

But what you are asking is impossible to prove or disprove one way or the other.