Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

Quote Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
    He's been in the league 3 years, so he'll get locked up with the top RFA tender (probably around 2-3 Mil). Doubt anyone will give up a one and a three plus a monster contract for him.
    I doubt they'd get any long term deal into a smaller cap number than the RFA number.
    Yeah the top RFA tag is going to be around $3.5 million I think, and a long term deal would be about 5 or 6 in the first year.

I am not sure I am following this logic from the writer....
    Retaining Mike Wallace for the Long-Term Is a Necessity

The Steelers also have at least six players slated to be restricted free agents and two more who will be exclusive-rights free agents, all of whom Pittsburgh likely wants back for 2012. But the only prominent player on this list of restricted free agents is superstar receiver Mike Wallace. The Steelers obviously would ideally like to retain Wallace’s services by first tendering him an offer at the highest level (an estimated salary of $3.5 million for 2012) that would result in Pittsburgh having the right to match any external salary offers presented to Wallace or receiving a first-round draft pick from any team that signs Wallace to an unmatched offer.

By tendering Wallace, the Steelers would ideally work on signing him to a long-term deal in the summer that would slightly increase his cap figure for 2012 from his initial tender offer due to a pro-rated signing bonus. However, the Steelers would be able to free up more cap space to sign its draft picks and possibly increase Wallace’s 2012 cap figure after June 1st when they can release veterans like guard Chris Kemoteau who are signed beyond 2012, but not have all the dead money owed to those players applied to their 2012 cap limit as it would if those players were released before June 1st. However, that ideal strategy would be risky in Wallace’s case. It should be noted the new CBA no longer includes first- and third-round picks as compensation for the highest tendered restricted free agents.
    I don't see why the Steelers need to lock him up this year. I mean yeah he will be a UFA next year but you can tag him and then sign him next year. By signing him this year you are just going to increase his cap number (and the writer underestimated that too, it won't "slightly rise" from $3.5 million, it willgo up at least another $2 million for 2012) and the Steelers are just so strapped they can't afford to be throwing an extra million or two when it isn't needed.

What the writer is basically saying is sign him now, JUST so you can restructure his deal after June 1 to save money towards the 2012 cap. That alone should tell you how bad the situation is, teams don't sign guys to extensions and then restructure a couple months later LOL. I mean I guess you could do it, but you are just transferring money into 2013 and beyond in a pretty crazy way.

Blog Entries

Well, if they tag Wallace, that would work against any chance they have of sweeping some of this under the 2013 rug. Then, we don't know how Wallace feels. Anything can happen between now and then. What if Ben has another injury plagued season? What if the team, as a whole, disappoints next year. There is nothing to guarantee that Wallace would want to stay and tagging him will put even more strain on the cap issues they are going to face.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I don't feel like getting into it now but the writer is using some crazy logic for this whole Wallace thing. I just re-read the entire section where he sings his praises and calls him one of the best in the game, but then says "but it isn't going to cost us a lot and here is why." What? Oh I forgot, you are the Steelers, and you think players will just take what YOU want to pay them. Right.

The writer may be a great cap analyst, but he is clueless about what is going to determine Wallace's market value as one of the best young WR's in the game. he got waaaay off track and it looked like the "fan" in him took over. He must live in the world of unicorns eating rainbows if he thinks Wallace is signing an extension that is 30% less than Santonio "I am 1 strike away from a year long suspension" Holmes.

Blog Entries

He's been in the league 3 years, so he'll get locked up with the top RFA tender (probably around 2-3 Mil). Doubt anyone will give up a one and a three plus a monster contract for him.
    I doubt they'd get any long term deal into a smaller cap number than the RFA number.
    The Falcons just traded two drafts to get an unproven Julio Jones. Wallace is a proven commodity and would be cheaper (draft picks wise). For a team that has a crap load of space under the cap and a late pick, he will be intriguing.

If the Bengals were smart they'd make that move. Add Wallace to AJ Green and they've got the best WR duo for the next 7 or 8 years. They've got the cap space to do it. And they've got an extra first round pick. They'd weaken a division opponent and add to their own attack. Unfortunately, I don't think Mike Brown has the balls to pull such a coup.
    Last edited by Corey; 01-07-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Just on this, the new CBA did away with the first and a third
    I'm fairly certain the top tender is now a first

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    He must live in the world of unicorns eating rainbows if he thinks Wallace is signing an extension that is 30% less than Santonio "I am 1 strike away from a year long suspension" Holmes.
    Looks like he assumes 5 yr - $45M for Wallace which I think was the same as Holmes. Where are you getting 30% less?

I think it was to do with guranteed money

From Post Two
    Santonio Holmes just got $24 million guaranteed, and this writer thinks a superior, clean Wallace is only going to get $18 million???

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    I think it was to do with guaranteed money

From Post Two
    Correct.

Total contract values usually aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Fitzgerald got $50 million guaranteed this past summer.

Obviously Wallace isn't in that class, but if Santonio got 24, and Fitz got 50......do the math.

$18 million for Wallace is laughable. Hell he would get $13 million for the franchise tag alone in 2013, why would you lock yourself up for 5-6 years for $5 million more? It makes no sense, and won't happen in this lifetime.
    Last edited by 52decleetzu; 01-07-2012 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    What are you going to pay all of those players with, Monopoly money?

Might want to go back and actually read those articles -- they were written by your own reporters.

Here are the players I mentioned:

Cortez Allen-under contract thru 2014
    Curtis Brown-under contract thru 2014
    Marcus Gilbert-under contract thru 2014
    Cameron Heyward-under contract thru 2015
    Stevenson Sylvester-under contract thru 2012
    Willie Colon-under contract thru 2015
    Ryan Clark-under contract thru 2013

Hoke will be signed for veteran minimum (925k)

So if by saying "all of those players" you mean the remaining two I mentioned (McClendon and Mundy) then I guess you're right. However we don't need any money for the players above and will cut veterans in those positions (except CB) to free up cap money.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny600 View Post
    Hoke will be signed for veteran minimum (925k)
    Hoke will be 36 by the time training camp comes around, and he just had neck surgery a month ago. Honestly I'd be very surprised if he doesn't retire at the end of this season.

Don't care who is waiting in the wings, losing Ward, Farrior, Smith, maybe Hampton, etc in one off-season is going to hurt. LeBeau won't be around forever either - he might see this is as a prime opportunity to walk away as well. There is no depth at NT, and none at ILB. Pittsburgh has spent a boat-load on cash on Woodley, Timmons, and Troy, and none of them have played up to expectations...although at least Woodley can say he's been hurt the last couple months.

The team is going to need to reload, and while I think they'll still be competitive during that time, they're likely going to take a backseat to Baltimore and Cincy in the division.

If the window is closing on Pittsburgh - and it does appear to be the case - so be it. It was a excellent run for the 7 years it lasted. All good things must come to an end.

Hey SteelFan I agree it will hurt and we must lower our expectations for a couple of years however I think with our drafting record we will still a contender during this time. Even if our defense drops from #1 to #9 or #10 I think our offense can get better after the 2012 draft providing we take a OLman in the first or second round. This can counter the drop on defense. Who knows maybe I'm too optomistic but I've been a hardcore fan since about 1990 and have seen only 4 losing seasons and one 8-8 season. We have the best FO in football and I have faith they will make the best choices available to them to minimize the bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    Correct.

Total contract values usually aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Fitzgerald got $50 million guaranteed this past summer.

Obviously Wallace isn't in that class, but if Santonio got 24, and Fitz got 50......do the math.

$18 million for Wallace is laughable. Hell he would get $13 million for the franchise tag alone in 2013, why would you lock yourself up for 5-6 years for $5 million more? It makes no sense, and won't happen in this lifetime.
    Yeah, I knew the back ends of these contracts were pretty much fiction. And therefore the total figures are pretty much worthless. I guess I didn't realize that the signing bonus was pretty much the only thing that matters; I thought you could 'guarantee' more than just the signing bonus (which by definition is guaranteed because it is paid upfront). Trying to look up the details of Holmes' contract it looked like (the way I read it) his first two years salaries were included in the 'guaranteed' money, but it didn't mention when it was paid (which I assumed was the key in determining how it is treated for cap purposes). It listed his 1st year salary as $1M, and 2nd year as $7.75M, but like I said it said the $24M guaranteed 'includes' these amounts. I assumed that meant his upfront money was $24M less the $8.75M; if not, does it mean he got all the $24M up front but then gets no salary (just small roster bonuses) in years 1 and 2?

Either way, you are right that Wallace will draw more than Holmes (and less than Fitz), probably a large chunk more.