Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Wildcat in Baltimore??

As much as I love that play, it makes me cringe to see our franchise QB hauling butt downfield to act as a receiver. It turned out to be a great play but it gives me the chills to thing of all that could have gone wrong. You do not see Brady, Manning, and the other franchise QB's in the league putting their careers on the line for a risky play like that.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

I'm not a fan of the "wildcat" and consider it nothing more than a flash-in-the-pan gimick. It is basically a option offense from college where it is used when you have an athletic QB who really doesn't have good passing abilities.
    It is my opinion it doesn't work in the NFL because the entire defense is full of equally good athletes, with Speed. In college it works because a single fast strong player can dominate a game there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Puppy View Post
    I'm not a fan of the "wildcat" and consider it nothing more than a flash-in-the-pan gimick. It is basically a option offense from college where it is used when you have an athletic QB who really doesn't have good passing abilities.
    It is my opinion it doesn't work in the NFL because the entire defense is full of equally good athletes, with Speed. In college it works because a single fast strong player can dominate a game there.

Actually, it's true heritage is the "Single Wing" formation, which gave birth to the option and spread option formations that are prevalent in college football today. The main difference between the "single wing" and the "wildcat" is the the "single wing" uses more of an unbalanced offensive line, 2 on one side of the center and 4 on the other, whereas the spread usually implements a balanced line.

There is some merit to the "wildcat" in today's NFL. Yes, the defense is loaded with top flight athletes, but, if you have a RB or WR that can throw the ball with any modicum of accuracy, it definitely will force the defense to maintain pass coverage even when they call run stopping plays.

Personally, I think if the Jets were to use their WR Smith more often as a passer, they would have the best options in the "wildcat" formation. I think Sanchez is a good enough athlete to be able to run or catch the ball for short gains outside the numbers, thereby allowing to take the ball out of bounds to avoid big hits. Their RB's have decent enough receiving skills to allow them to keep the defense in pass coverage, thereby allowing Smith to decide to pass, pitch to the fullback, or take off and run.

I think Miami doesn't have solid enough QB play to make it anymore effective than what they run now. Let's face it, as long as they have Ronnie Brown, there are going to continue to trot it out, even though teams, (ie: the Ravens) have shown it can be rendered ineffective.

Do I think this should be a teams "go-to" play?? No, but if used in the right situations, I think it can be wildly effective. Consider it similar to "jumbo" package, teams use it in certain situations, and they use it effectively. (Many fans on this site, myself included, would love to see Ngata and McClain in the backfield together in short yard situations. We certainly don't want Ngata out there on every down though.)
    Future MVP of Superbowl LXIX

personally i am not a fan of the suggs "time out or delay of game" package... i dont think it ran smoothly once last year

Quote Originally Posted by Aces2Bluff View Post
    personally i am not a fan of the suggs "time out or delay of game" package... i dont think it ran smoothly once last year

Wrong! It was executed properly last year I think once or twice. The results still sucked hind-tit, and that particular play should be set upon a funeral pyre.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    As much as I love that play, it makes me cringe to see our franchise QB hauling butt downfield to act as a receiver. It turned out to be a great play but it gives me the chills to thing of all that could have gone wrong. You do not see Brady, Manning, and the other franchise QB's in the league putting their careers on the line for a risky play like that.
    This is because Flacco is a football player, where as Brady, Manning, and other franchise QB's are pansy's (Using good language here) that look to the refs if their skirts get touched. Brady in particular loves some yellow flags around his feet.

Blog Entries

It was a great play but i still get pissed that he didn't stay upright and score the touchdown, if he would have scored that play would be showed for decades.