Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 121314

Re: McKinnie returns.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    First off, how many of us, if at 22 were given a big pile of cash, wouldn't go out and spend it on some extravagant items?
    I'm 22. I'd save most of it. Maybe get a nice apartment somewhere and a new car.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    First off, how many of us, if at 22 were given a big pile of cash, wouldn't go out and spend it on some extravagant items?

I am not saying they are not foolish to spend the money the way some do, but I also don't think I could have applied the wisdom that I have at 47 due to years of experience back when I was 22. But maybe that is just me...

One more point: Some of these guys are the first members of their extended families to make any real money. There has to be some pretty incredible financial demands from inside their family on some of them when they get their first big paycheck. Again, this is not to excuse the foolish spending, but it is a factor that I don't think has been discussed much in this topic.
    McKinnie was over 30 when he spent tens of thousands of dollars on a birthday party for himself. That was after he took out the $4 million lockout loan at crazy interest that he defaulted on. This isn't a 22 year old kid and many of these guys who blow through their money are doing it after they retire when they are older and should know better. Mark Brunnel for example lost his money at 40. I understand your point but it's rarely the rookies who lose it all. It's after they get that second big money contract that they lose control.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    McKinnie was over 30 when he spent tens of thousands of dollars on a birthday party for himself. That was after he took out the $4 million lockout loan at crazy interest that he defaulted on. This isn't a 22 year old kid and many of these guys who blow through their money are doing it after they retire when they are older and should know better. Mark Brunnel for example lost his money at 40. I understand your point but it's rarely the rookies who lose it all. It's after they get that second big money contract that they lose control.
    OK...I guess I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabcake View Post
    I'm 22. I'd save most of it. Maybe get a nice apartment somewhere and a new car.
    Not saying you wouldn't, personally, but there is talkin' the talk...and then there is walkin' the walk.

When some people come into a lot of money, it changes their decision-making and they do a lot of stuff they probably didn't think they would do when they were not as wealthy. By the way, that can happen at any age.

But there are some people that stay the same (see Sam Walton, for example).

Why is this in the McKinnie thread?

Re: McKinnie Signs 2 year deal with Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Why is this in the McKinnie thread?
    Because he apparently went bankrupt and the discussion (several pages worth) turned to how NFL (and ex-NFL players) go broke even though they make enough money with which most people could find out a way to live the rest of their lives economically secure.

Re: McKinnie Signs 2 year deal with Ravens

Deserved its own thread, the thread hijack not withstanding.