Page 159 of 333 FirstFirst ... 157158159160161 ... LastLast
Results 1,897 to 1,908 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: Premature draft talk.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Don't sleep on Jesse Williams either, he's probably more of a 2nd round pick. He can play both DE and NT in a 3-4 and is expected to break the combine record for the most reps on the BP test. He is pretty athletic and can move well for a big guy. Wouldn't mind him in the second round personally. We need to upgrade our Dline more so than our Oline IMO.
    I've seen his stock starting to creep up a bit.

He could definitely sneak into round 1.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I think there's an outside shot, I seem to remember Devon Still being listed as the best DT in last years draft at this time, and he went in the early second round to Cincy.
    That's true. The Combine changes everything. It always shakes things up.

Don't sleep on Jesse Williams either, he's probably more of a 2nd round pick. He can play both DE and NT in a 3-4 and is expected to break the combine record for the most reps on the BP test. He is pretty athletic and can move well for a big guy. Wouldn't mind him in the second round personally. We need to upgrade our Dline more so than our Oline IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I've seen his stock starting to creep up a bit.

He could definitely sneak into round 1.
    No interest whatsoever in using a first, or probably even a second, on a two-down run stopper. For all the money and draft picks this team already has committed to guys who are primarily elite run-defenders (Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis, Terrence Cody, Courtney Upshaw) they were pretty bad against the run this past year YET WENT TO THE SUPER BOWL primarily on the back of their pass defense stiffening up majorly over the last few games.

The NFL is all about speed, penetration, and disruption, and moreso on the defensive line than anywhere else. I'm not saying Jesse Williams isn't a good player, he is, but he doesn't collapse the pocket or penetrate and he's not fast. It doesn't mean he's not going to make it in the NFL but he's a run stopper only so he's not worth an early pick no matter what.

If the Ravens want to get a big-bodied nose tackle in the earlier rounds (which I don't really want them to do because I think they should totally abandon the 3-4 two-gap scheme) the guy I would want is Brandon Williams. He's a very good nose guard prospect, but he can play anywhere on the interior line as a 3-4 NT or DE or 4-3 DT. He actually brings some real pass rush/pocket collapsing threat as well unlike Jesse Williams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    No interest whatsoever in using a first, or probably even a second, on a two-down run stopper. For all the money and draft picks this team already has committed to guys who are primarily elite run-defenders (Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis, Terrence Cody, Courtney Upshaw) they were pretty bad against the run this past year YET WENT TO THE SUPER BOWL primarily on the back of their pass defense stiffening up majorly over the last few games.

The NFL is all about speed, penetration, and disruption, and moreso on the defensive line than anywhere else. I'm not saying Jesse Williams isn't a good player, he is, but he doesn't collapse the pocket or penetrate and he's not fast. It doesn't mean he's not going to make it in the NFL but he's a run stopper only so he's not worth an early pick no matter what.

If the Ravens want to get a big-bodied nose tackle in the earlier rounds (which I don't really want them to do because I think they should totally abandon the 3-4 two-gap scheme) the guy I would want is Brandon Williams. He's a very good nose guard prospect, but he can play anywhere on the interior line as a 3-4 NT or DE or 4-3 DT. He actually brings some real pass rush/pocket collapsing threat as well unlike Jesse Williams.
    I like Williams too. He was really impressive during the Senior Bowl. His story seems to be something that Harbs would gravitate towards as well. Lots of adversity.

Don't know that I'd look at him before the 3rd or 4th round though.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

I agree...id like us to get away from the one dimensional run stopping defensive linemen.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I like Williams too. He was really impressive during the Senior Bowl. His story seems to be something that Harbs would gravitate towards as well. Lots of adversity.

Don't know that I'd look at him before the 3rd or 4th round though.
    I think that's the right value point to be looking for a NT, unless you are looking at a guy like Haloti Ngata or Vince Wilfork...

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Another quick 5 round mock for the Ravens including 4th and 5th round compensatories (they might get better picks but I'm being conservative).

#1. Matt Elam, FS, Florida - the best possible successor to Ed Reed in the draft, the Ravens may very well need to move up to make this pick happen. There is no way the Ravens would pass up Elam at this point for any other prospect realistically available.

#2. Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State - Wheaton could certainly go high in the 2nd but I have him slotted late as I believe teams will reach for the many "big" receivers in the class and sub-6'0 players will be devalued. However, Wheaton is a phenomenal fit for the Ravens' offense and a fine player.

#3. David Quessenberry, OT/OG/C, San Jose State - Quessenberry's 6'5 295 frame is unimpressive, but he has the feet, athleticism, and technique to stay at LT in the NFL if he is developed correctly. The Ravens value positional versatility on the OL very highly, and the ability to play all 5 positions on the line could be very helpful to Quessenberry although I don't see him having the physicality or raw strength to be an impact run blocker on the inside.

#4. Sio Moore, LB, Connecticut - Moore is a very intriguing prospect with phenomenal athletic ability who became accustomed to being used in multiple roles in college. He is probably most at home as a 4-3 OLB, but could certainly be developed into any LB position including 4-3 and 3-4 MIKE.

#4 (compensatory). Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia - Geathers is a very raw player who probably should have gone back to school for 2013, and his lack of refined technique will hurt his draft stock. He is a phenomenal athlete for 6'6 350, probably a project in the NFL, but at best he could push Cody/Kemoeatu for playing time immediately.

#5. Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado - A very raw TE prospect, Kasa would already be the best blocker at his position on our roster, but he brings surprising athleticism and quickness to the table as well. A very high upside prospect who will need to develop for at least a year or two.

#5. (compensatory) David Bass, DE, Missouri Western - A small-school prospect with big-school measurables (6'4 260 with huge 10 1/2 inch hands and 33 5/8 inch arms), Bass is going to have to prove a lot after playing against terrible competition, but there are plenty of scouts out there who feel he is one of the most physically impressive players in the entire class. Another sky-high upside pick.

generally like that draft.

While you say Kasa needs to develop, can he at least contribute immediately as a blocker next year? IF so, I like that sort of value pick.

I like Quessenberry assuming we miss out on the opportunity to trade up for Lane Johnson.

Now don't get upset. LOL
    Deal Ray Rice, keep Reed, Ellerbee, Boldin, and possibly Kruger..........
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Now don't get upset. LOL
    I won't get "upset" but I don't follow that logic much at all.

Rice costs more in cap dollars off the team then ON.

Kruger is going to get drastically overpaid to play a position that our top draft pick from last year played admirably in his time here.
    Reed is clearly on the downside of his career and not likely to take a reasonable deal.

I think it would make more sense to trade Pierce, assuming we could get a VERY high 2 or low 1. Maybe even if we trade Pierce and our natural 1 for a true Stud LT prospect like Fisher or maybe even Lane Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I won't get "upset" but I don't follow that logic much at all.

Rice costs more in cap dollars off the team then ON.

Kruger is going to get drastically overpaid to play a position that our top draft pick from last year played admirably in his time here.
    Reed is clearly on the downside of his career and not likely to take a reasonable deal.

I think it would make more sense to trade Pierce, assuming we could get a VERY high 2 or low 1. Maybe even if we trade Pierce and our natural 1 for a true Stud LT prospect like Fisher or maybe even Lane Johnson.
    If you trade Rice he is not on the books at all, and you pick up a possibly high #1 and #2 pick.
    Pierce plays under a rookie contact for 3-4 more years, and you pick up a veteran backup at RB.
    The rest is negotiable.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Now don't get upset. LOL
    I would not like that at all.

Rice is critical for this offense. You need two backs in the NFL and we're lucky enough to have 2 pro-bowl caliber backs.