Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Football Gameplan's Super Bowl XLVII Preview - Ravens vs Niners

Good evening Ravens fans! Good luck in the Super Bowl!

Em

Re: Football Gameplan's Super Bowl XLVII Preview - Ravens vs Niners

Wow, I learned more in 5 minutes than years and years of ESPN. Thanks man, amazing video series.

yup. don't even care that he predicted the 49ers to win. it was smart, insightful, and got down into the meat and potatoes of football without any regional bias. great work

Blog Entries

That was great! I wish there was more analysis like that on ESPN, NFLN, etc. It reminds me of the old JFK line, "Senators and football coaches are both smart enough to know their games but dumb enough to think they're important." It takes real smarts to be able to design these schemes, work them into overall game plans and fit them to the personnel you have. A smart coach can work wonders -- just look at the turnaround Jim Harbaugh executed with the 49ers...

And he had a purple tie. :)

In all seriousness though, thanks for posting this Em! I felt like I legitimately learned something.

One question (for anyone). Is that unbalanced formation he shows around the 2:30 mark a legal formation? Wouldn't the LT be uncovered?

Good analysis, except his prediction was based off of the Redskins game and we had a weak line up for that game. We'll be better this week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Good analysis, except his prediction was based off of the Redskins game and we had a weak line up for that game. We'll be better this week.
    We had a skeleton crew on defense for the red skins game. It's foolish to use that game for comparison. The ravens defense has been playing their best of the year in the past 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    And he had a purple tie. :)

In all seriousness though, thanks for posting this Em! I felt like I legitimately learned something.

One question (for anyone). Is that unbalanced formation he shows around the 2:30 mark a legal formation? Wouldn't the LT be uncovered?
    It is, as long as you have 7 men on the line at snap.

There are only 6 in his drawing. The second tight end is playing behind the line along with both WRs. So the formation is...

Code:
    T G C G T TE
    QB TE WR WR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    There are only 6 in his drawing. The second tight end is playing behind the line along with both WRs. So the formation is...

Code:
    T G C G T TE
    QB TE WR WR
    I had the exact same question. Unless a WR steps up before the snap, that looks like an illegal formation.

Quick question -- why have the 7 men on the line legal formation rule? To prevent the offense from stepping back a yard and getting more of a free release at the snap?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    We had a skeleton crew on defense for the red skins game. It's foolish to use that game for comparison. The ravens defense has been playing their best of the year in the past 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree - I usually like emDiggy's analysis, but yeah, this is not the same team that played the Redskins at all. Lots of guys out/injured in that game.

One thing that has really been overlooked IMO by the talking heads, are how the two defenses are trending over the last 8 games or so. The Ravens defense has progressively been getting better, and the Niners have been getting progressively worse. I'm not sure how much it's been mentioned, but Atlanta wasn't just passing big on them in the first half, they were running well too until Turner was injured.

There is ONE analyst that does his homework - and that is Ron Jaworski. Nobody looks at as much film as Jaws, and nobody understands the game better among the talking heads. What does Jaws say about it? "Ravens - lead pipe lock". When Hodge said "are you sure, I dunno?", he repeated "Ravens", with a big grin.

Jaws knows what's up. :)

Thanks Gang!! i really appreciate that! Listen, you guys know I will always be fair and unbiased as well as keep it just football! Glad you guys enjoy my perspective without the spin.

As for the Unbalanced formation..its a legal formation as Kyle Cactus noted!