1. Welcome to Brian Billick's Offense

This is the style Offense Billick has wanted to run since he's been here and he was really going to run it this year;) He just hasn't been able to run his version of the "West Coast Offense" He finally had the two tight-end set which helped blocking for Willis McGahee We have been missing both starting O-Tackles, Daniel Wilcox and Todd Heap almost all year long, which put a damper on Brian's play calling and made it more "vanilla"..That being said, you haven't seen anything yet If we had a Top Wide out who could stretch the field, we'd be dangerous and if we would have had Heap in last night, I do believe we would've won that game because he is Boller's favorite out-man I am just not mad over last night's game I am proud of OUR Ravens

Re: Welcome to Brian Billick's Offense

Things did go well generally. The only trouble I'm seeing with the general scheme is that it demands near-perfection from QBs or total, complete, and utter dominance of the opposing front 7 for almost the entire game. Then again, maybe there is a way to score more in the future.

The offense can work well, especially with a healthy Todd Heap in the game.

Here are some personnel issues that need to be examined
    1) Sign Drew Carter from the Panthers to be co-deep threat with Demetrius
    Williams. He's done really well when Steve Smith has been hurt and a QB can get him the ball. Not that the packers secondary is great, but go to NFL.com and check out what he can do when Vinny got him the ball (search "drew carter" and use the quotes are you get too much maurice jones drew)
    2) Get a top flight QB in the draft. I'm not 100% sure who yet, but I think Matt Ryan has the smartest head on his shoulders and is the most able to spread the ball around.
    3) Find a young OT to either start or be nice depth. Will Gaither or terry develop into a dominant OT?
    4) Find a C to challenge Chester and/or learn from Flynn for depth too.
    5) Find a RB to split time with Willis. McGahee is a horse, but don't want to ride him too hard, then you'll wear him down and he'll be more banged up than Jamal after he got 2000 yards. Or Eddie George his career.

It's looking good, we'll see what happens. I am definitely pleasently surprised both by Kyle Boller and the offensive line.

I'm pulling for them to do it again next week. If that happens, Boller can sit around and teach the young buck.
    Last edited by ExiledRaven; 12-04-2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo here. Thanks for focusing my statement there Jonboy

Drew Carter as a #1... you lsot me on that one... He may be a nice player to add to the mix, btu a #1 he is not.

I should probably say a vertical threat. With Carter and Williams being the more vertical and clayton working underneath.

That combination is really appealing to me

I see what you are saying, you are talking about playing Carter as the X, with Williams as the Y and Clayton as the Z... gotcha... I can see that, I just don't see him being our top option, even if Mason were jetisoned.

Y TGCGTE
    Z Q X
    H

No thanks on Carter. Two blown knees in four years doesn't make me very comfortable.

Clayton, Mason, DWill and Devard are a pretty solid receiving corps. Unless a just can't miss reciever falls to us in the draft, I wouldn't worry about it. We've got enough holes to fill.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

This was a nice display of BB's offense, and a top wide out would be super!!

The biggest issue for BB and this team moving forward prior to any personel moves is clock management 101. How many times have we failed at clock management, not only this year but since BB has been in Baltimore? Obviously this area of good clock management has lost us more than a few games that shoulda, coulda, woulda been won by our present Raven players, but went in the loss column.

We all saw it AGAIN Monday night........

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    No thanks on Carter. Two blown knees in four years doesn't make me very comfortable.

Clayton, Mason, DWill and Devard are a pretty solid receiving corps. Unless a just can't miss reciever falls to us in the draft, I wouldn't worry about it. We've got enough holes to fill.
    As much as I think a DE or CB is needed in the 1st round, if there is a flat-out stud WR with legit NFL "jets" to get downfield, we have to take him.

Mason can't play forever, and it would be someone who could almost immediately come on the field and make an impact. I like D-Will, but I am not convinced yet he's a true deep-threat weapon. And we need to see Devard Darling play like that the rest of the season and get more than one reception a game before we crown him a starter on the team.

But if there is a Braylon Edwards-type in the draft, we have to seriously look at him.

Mario Manningham might be the guy if he's sitting there in the second round. I'm a big fan. I'm also not sure that'll be the best "value" at the time.

So much depends on runs teams make. This year, it really seems like CB is a major need for the vast majority of teams, if only to improve the nickel back quality. With so many teams going 3 wide, I suppose I can see the need.

Anyhow, if Manningham is around, he's really the only 1st day receiver that I like that would be sitting around where the Ravens might draft.

FYI about carter, I'm not calling him the next coming, the point is that he'll be fairly cheap and could be a useful weapon. Idea I am going for is value over proven guys that will cost a boatload. (Moss, Stallworth)

I was looking at Manningham, but I was also looking at Adarius Bowman from Oklahoma State.

I don't know if I'd take either one on first day, but if they were around for the second pick it would be a no brainer.