Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Re: Norv Turner, Welcome to Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Another idea for those who would like to see Caldwell as the OC. Tom Moore has been taking various consulting roles, now with the Titans to the end of the year. Caldwell has never called plays at the NFL level but if we hired Moore in somewhat the same capacity to assist Caldwell it could be a good thing. Just something to think about.
    Tom Moore was nothing special until he got Peyton Manning. He didn't even call plays with Manning.

Prior to the Colts, he was the OC of such explosive offense like the mid-late 80's Steelers, early 90's Vikings, and Mid 90's Lions.

A big whoopty doo was made about him "consulting" with the Jets last year. And they still sucked offensively.

And the Titans now aren't anything impressive on offense either.

I'm not a Tom Moore fan either. Other than being the OC for one of the greatest QB's to ever play (while not even calling the plays half the time), I don't get the hard on for him or Caldwell.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Tom Moore was nothing special until he got Peyton Manning. He didn't even call plays with Manning.

Prior to the Colts, he was the OC of such explosive offense like the mid-late 80's Steelers, early 90's Vikings, and Mid 90's Lions.

A big whoopty doo was made about him "consulting" with the Jets last year. And they still sucked offensively.

And the Titans now aren't anything impressive on offense either.

I'm not a Tom Moore fan either. Other than being the OC for one of the greatest QB's to ever play (while not even calling the plays half the time), I don't get the hard on for him or Caldwell.
    Understood, he still is rather experienced and has been successful albeit with one of the all time greats. Just threw it out as an option to those that would like Caldwell or that style of offense. Also him consulting on a offense he ran for years would be different then him advising other teams what he sees in a different offense like he did with the Jets. My personal choice would be Denny Green but im really open to anything or any system where we are operating in this century.
    Last edited by Carey; 12-07-2012 at 04:06 PM.

iggyman555 Guest

hello Hue Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    hello Hue Jackson
    Didn't he burn some bridges on the way out ? Can they let bygones be bygones ? He did work well with Joe when he was here iirc.

Blog Entries

NO! i don't like the idea of hiring failed head coaches for OC, or failed assistants off terrible teams, no no no!! Give me some one from that ATL camp, GB camp, Tampa Camp, Denver Camp (shanahan coaching tree), No New England assistants they do terrible when they leave father bilecheck. I love to see some young creative mind, from one of the nfl's top offenses over the last 5-10yrs. No more old washed up ex head coaches that are no longer connected with todays game, or any assistant that has been with teams like the raiders, or cleveland, lions etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    Norv is Cam 2.0.
    No Thanks
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    NO! i don't like the idea of hiring failed head coaches for OC, or failed assistants off terrible teams, no no no!! Give me some one from that ATL camp, GB camp, Tampa Camp, Denver Camp (shanahan coaching tree), No New England assistants they do terrible when they leave father bilecheck. I love to see some young creative mind, from one of the nfl's top offenses over the last 5-10yrs. No more old washed up ex head coaches that are no longer connected with todays game, or any assistant that has been with teams like the raiders, or cleveland, lions etc.
    Ya figure there's GOT to be someone like that out there if they're willing to look, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Wade Phillips, Josh McDaniels, Scott Linehan, Kevin Gilbride, Dick LeBeau, Todd Haley, Mike Nolan...

All guys who were good coordinators who made the jump to HC and couldn't cut it. Then they jumped back to coordinator jobs and everyone of them has been a smashing success thus far, and I'm sure there are more, those are just the names off the top of my head. Some guys are just not capable of being head coaches, but are great as coordinators. I think Norv is one of those guys.

Now, I would not oppose the FO bringing in a promising young guy from another coaching tree like a Joe Lombardi, Tom Clements, or Karl Dorrell (that's my order of preference of candidates.) I DO think you would see some growing pains from moving to a new offensive system and the WCO doesn't appear like a good fit for our personnel to me, but I would still support any of those guys.

The problem is, I'm going not only by what I would like, but by what I think will actually happen. I think Norv is WAY more likely to get hired than any of the other guys. (although if I have to be REALLY objective about it, I must confess that the most likely scenario seems to be Cam sticking around...)

Blog Entries

IMO AJ Smith had more to do with the Chargers struggles than Norv. He couldn't get deals done with the tackle or couple receivers and their depth is crap. Then there's the issue of letting Sproles go and replacing him with Matthews who is made of glass. Just my $.02

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Wade Phillips, Josh McDaniels, Scott Linehan, Kevin Gilbride, Dick LeBeau, Todd Haley, Mike Nolan...

All guys who were good coordinators who made the jump to HC and couldn't cut it. Then they jumped back to coordinator jobs and everyone of them has been a smashing success thus far, and I'm sure there are more, those are just the names off the top of my head. Some guys are just not capable of being head coaches, but are great as coordinators. I think Norv is one of those guys.

Now, I would not oppose the FO bringing in a promising young guy from another coaching tree like a Joe Lombardi, Tom Clements, or Karl Dorrell (that's my order of preference of candidates.) I DO think you would see some growing pains from moving to a new offensive system and the WCO doesn't appear like a good fit for our personnel to me, but I would still support any of those guys.

The problem is, I'm going not only by what I would like, but by what I think will actually happen. I think Norv is WAY more likely to get hired than any of the other guys. (although if I have to be REALLY objective about it, I must confess that the most likely scenario seems to be Cam sticking around...)
    guys you named there, not so much Josh Mcdaniels, I would take as cordinators, those guys have found success at cordinators with some pretty good teams after headcoaching gigs. I'm talking guys like brad childress, schottenheimer,and assistants from teams like the raiders i DON'T WANT NO PART OF. I have a terrible feeling that you are right about cam that fucker may not be going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    IMO AJ Smith had more to do with the Chargers struggles than Norv. He couldn't get deals done with the tackle or couple receivers and their depth is crap. Then there's the issue of letting Sproles go and replacing him with Matthews who is made of glass. Just my $.02
    I thought letting Sproles walk was a key hiccup by AJ, Sproles is a drive extender, they have good skill position players that get yards in chunks but i think they dont consistently get the intermediate gains and Matthews doesnt get the tough yards consistently. Biggest reason imo they've underachieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    LOL this is wrong. What has he done after Wade and Cam left.