Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Head Coach Brian Billick

I think Brian Billick is one of the finest coaches in the NFL.

My feeling is that had the Baltimore Ravens Head Coach been released in the off season, he would have been snapped up in less than 5 minutes.

A handful of fans in my section complain about Billick incessantly. In my mind they are very, very naive. having said that, every fan is entitled to his/her own assumptions...

Unfortunately, those assumptions usually result in making an @ss of them, and umption.

GO RAVENS!, GO BRIAN, GO OZZIE, GO STEVE!

Re: Head Coach Brian Billick

I would concur with that, for the most part; however, team discipline, or lack thereof, has always bothered me. Plus, I think he needs to be more of an 'in-your-face' type of coach to the players, similiar to the way Cowher is with his players; but then, BB is not that type. Football is a tough game, both Mentally and Physically. BB is great at organization, but then that is only one element in the equation. I would like to see him turn the program in the right direction again, because I'm a big proponent of stability.

i would like to agree with you, but i can not. this team has had discipline issues for years. all of the false starts and penalties for bitching out the refs. it is uncalled for at this level. put on top of that the horrendous clock management that is a staple of his career.

his loyalty to crap players is a huge weakness. and his inability to look at any players not drafted in the first or second round is a huge detriment.

one of the worst things that could have happened was us winning the Super Bowl that quickly after he got here. i am not saying i would have rather lost it, just that he won. so he thinks he can do no wrong now. in his mind, just duplicate 2000 over and over again and we will win. just look at the lack of progress in our offense since winning. he was hired to score points and lead this team. not sit back and hope we eek out a close one every week.

i am all for Billick staying as coach, but his stubbornness is a costly thing.

Quote Originally Posted by italianjoker View Post
    i would like to agree with you, but i can not. this team has had discipline issues for years. all of the false starts and penalties for bitching out the refs. it is uncalled for at this level. put on top of that the horrendous clock management that is a staple of his career.

his loyalty to crap players is a huge weakness. and his inability to look at any players not drafted in the first or second round is a huge detriment.

one of the worst things that could have happened was us winning the Super Bowl that quickly after he got here. i am not saying i would have rather lost it, just that he won. so he thinks he can do no wrong now. in his mind, just duplicate 2000 over and over again and we will win. just look at the lack of progress in our offense since winning. he was hired to score points and lead this team. not sit back and hope we eek out a close one every week.

i am all for Billick staying as coach, but his stubbornness is a costly thing.
    Wow, get out of my head!!!! Everything you just said I was thinking. I'm just sick of the mediocre offensive play as well. It seems like no matter who comes in as QB, we look dull and boring all over again. My son's Pop Warner team has more imagination.

I think Billick is a great motivator. But that's about it. If the Ravens have a drastic falls in the W-L category, this should be his last year
    Waiting for the next one!!!

Brian Billick = head coach, Fassell/Cavanaugh = O Coordinator, Ravens 4-0!

Unfortunately as is true with many things outside of football, some's biggest strengths can be very closely related to their weaknesses.

Billick is very confident and seems to be a great motivator -- think he is clearly in the top 1/3 of coaches. However, there do seem to be consistent blind spots (e.g., excess loyalty to certain players) -- but no one's perfect. He's also very loyal to this area, which should count for something in Baltimore

What I am most impressed about this year is that he has seemed to grow in some new directions, e.g., spending more time with the players.

There has been a philosophy in the team about where to invest that I can quibble with (e.g. more investment in the lines than in the running backs) as well as a marked reticient to start some of the younger players that we have drafted that TL alluded to this week (e.g., Cody, Brown before this week).

We'd be hard pressed to get a better coach (even if Ferentz was available).

Code:
               +--------------+----------+
               | Reg. Season  | Playoffs |
    +----------+--------------+----------+
    | Year  TM |   W   L   T  |   W   L  |
    | 1999 bal |   8   8   0  |   0   0  |
    | 2000 bal |  12   4   0  |   4   0  |
    | 2001 bal |  10   6   0  |   1   1  |
    | 2002 bal |   7   9   0  |   0   0  |
    | 2003 bal |  10   6   0  |   0   1  |
    | 2004 bal |   9   7   0  |   0   0  |
    | 2005 bal |   6  10   0  |   0   0  |
    | 2006 bal |   4   0   0  |   0   0  |
    | TOTALS   |  66  50   0  |   5   2  |
    Those are the facts.

Thoughts?

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Biscuit chewing BB out,probably did more good for Billick than bad.
    The new team attitude is refreshing to see.
    All BB needs to do now is not be to stubborn on somethings,and be willing to change when something isn't working.i.e. Starting players not performing and left to rot in their starting roles.Changing the direction of the offense,bringing it more up to date and aggresive.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

I sure wish he would get over his fixation with his "established" starters, I can think of three that I'd like to see planted firmly on the bench. ;)
    Merlin how do we know he's spending more time with the players? I hadn't read that anywhere. I'm not really sure if I see that as a good thing or not, I fear it might "blur the line" between coach/buddy and at some point create a loss of respect for his authority ~ assuming he has any, it certainly wasn't evident last season.

No direct information on Billick -- but through media stories. To be clear he's spending more time "communicating with his players"

here's an column by preston among others (no billick fan) on that subject and i believe aaron has said the same thing

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...1890528.column

Thanks for the update, Merlin. I must admit I don't read Mike Preston's writings very often.

For all his faults, there's no other coach I'd rather have guiding the Ravens than Brian Billick.