Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Billick's extension

Well, so far, everyone is agreeing that its a good thing that Billick will be around for awhile. And I think so too, its great for continuity and there's no one else around that I'd rather have coaching my team, as others have pointed out.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    Well, so far, everyone is agreeing that its a good thing that Billick will be around for awhile. And I think so too, its great for continuity and there's no one else around that I'd rather have coaching my team, as others have pointed out.
    Almost everyone...lol...fatboy Preston says the extension as "premature".

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...orts-headlines

"More than a month ago, the Ravens extended coach Brian Billick's contract but said that no details would be discussed publicly. Then yesterday, the team confirmed that Billick has a new four-year contract.

What gives?

Were the Ravens trying to shoot down a story in The Sun last month that Billick had received only a one-year extension to add to a final year in 2007? Or were they trying to make themselves look better after being embarrassed because the extension was for only one year?

Any type of spin can happen over at The Castle, but the Ravens shouldn't have given Billick a four-year deal. The euphoria from 2006 when the Ravens went 13-3 during the regular season is understandable, but you don't allow the coach to go from the hot seat back to the top perch in one season."
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Wink Re: Billick's extension

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    Any type of spin can happen over at The Castle, but the Ravens shouldn't have given Billick a four-year deal. The euphoria from 2006 when the Ravens went 13-3 during the regular season is understandable, but you don't allow the coach to go from the hot seat back to the top perch in one season."[/I]
    Preston is off base. A four year deal means that Billick cannot submit his resume to Danny Snyder after Gibbs is shitcanned, or to any other team. And it also means that the inevitable rebuilding after the so-called window is closed, Brian should be able to have a long-term approach rather than having to win-now in order to preserve his job.

I do agree with Preston's assessment of the tail end of the season.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I liek keeping with the continuity theme. Good coaches stay put, and consistently good teams have long term coaches. It works, everywhere, and it has here so far. Skip this mornign said that Billick isn't good enoughm ya di da, he should have gotten a two year extension. I've heard the counterpoint, I just don't agree.

What I do agree with though, is that we have one HELUVA good Front office. We are consistently among the most talented teams in the league year in and out, as well we usually are among the deepest. The problem is sometimes depth and need don't allign, but that happens everywhere, it's just dumb luck. 65 man rosters?

I guess Preston would get rid of Shanahan, Fischer, and Reid, too. Shanahan hasn't been to the Superbowl since he won it 9-10 years ago, so the game has obviously passed him by. Fischer has never won the big one, blowing the big one 8 years ago and never returning. And Reid could never win the semi-big one and even get to the Superbowl. Then, he finally does and blows it. Yeah, I guess he's right, all these guys suck and we should probably get rid of Billick ! :insane: :insane:
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

Preston is a moron with an agenda which is very transparent. Any occasion in which he actually makes a good point should be considered a coincidence -- he makes far too many idiotic points to really make him anyone to take seriously.

And this is the Sun's fault, as someone there obviously has given him the green light to be as obnoxious as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
    Fischer has never won the big one, blowing the big one 8 years ago and never returning.
    I know, it's like he didn't even have a chance it that game, it wasn't even close...

Preston is too harsh on the Ravens. I respect him as a person, but his writing and critiquing is inconsistent and unprofessional. If you want to criticize Billick's contract extension, then do it in a professional manner. BTW, Billick deserves the extension because he keeps the team consistent year in and year out.
    FOOTBALL IS BACK!! YOUR 2010 BALTIMORE RAVENS! SUPER BOWL OR BUST

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshon View Post
    Preston is too harsh on the Ravens. I respect him as a person, but his writing and critiquing is inconsistent and unprofessional.
    If he's unprofessional, then what's to respect? I've worked with people that weren't really good at their job, and still liked them, but Preston is worse than just bad, he's a self-promoting prick with nothing in his resume to justify his redundant hatchet jobs.

This recent column, based on the headline alone, seems like almost an embarrassing reaction to Billick getting a longer extension than Preston wanted to see. I imagine he cried himself to sleep after he wrote it.